Do yourself a favor (and others)

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
If only they made RV drivers larger than a 1 ton van take a specialized exam. The number of retirees with RVs who cannot properly drive them in adverse conditions is surprising.

I have a friend with a 5th wheel trailer and a one ton truck. He's out of his league and I refuse to ride with him.

But, he has his license and is "legal"
Just like there are a lot of hams that have their license and are "legal".

The ham license doesn't mean much on its own. Its like you've got the words, but not the music. I think the current ham tests are reasonable. The key is getting the new hams to continue their learning.

sonm10

Central MN Monitor
Premium Subscriber
I have not read through the entire thread, but I'll leave this here. This should teach new licensees operating skills.

WRQS621

Banned
Banned
The same can be said about folks with driver’s licenses. I think we all know there are good drivers and bad drivers. I hold other licenses. All they mean is that I meet the minimum requirements to hold them. It is our government’s way to collect money, provide a minimum level of screening and safety, and have records of that. Does a conceal carrying permit make you an expert marksman? Of course not.

k6cpo

I have not read through the entire thread, but I'll leave this here. This should teach new licensees operating skills.

The Handbook has very little information about good operating practices. It's mostly electronics and theory. A new ham wold be better served by getting a copy of the ARRL Operating Manual.

Seems the ARRL Handbook 2022 is discontinued. The OP mentioned study guides from ARRL but I can't seem to find them there. I was wondering if this would be a good start ARRL Ham Radio License Manual Spiral 5th Edition A little background, I decided two days ago that I'd like to get a ham license and hopefully get my family involved before I leave this world. I know they won't do it for themselves so I'd like to spend what time I have left learning and hopefully getting them educated so they can get and keep in contact with hams when the USA I grew up in becomes a third world country!

So two days ago as I mentioned I made the decision and took off! I went to Amazon and bought 2 BoTwang UV-S9plus radios. I learned long ago I can't learn just reading books I have to read and play with something for any of it to stick!

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
The 2022 ARRL Handbook is out of print. Here's the 2023 ARRL Handbook in hardcover. It's also available in a 6-volume softcover version. Both versions include access to the electronic version for Mac or Windows.

The license manual you referenced is the ARRL study guide for the Technician license. There are other books in the ARRL store for studying for the General and Extra licenses.

6079smithw

If only they made RV drivers larger than a 1 ton van take a specialized exam. The number of retirees with RVs who cannot properly drive them in adverse conditions is surprising.
Agree 100% but will never happen. Too much revenue at stake. Just for conversational purposes, let's price an RV at $50000. If 20 people failed the exam in one month, the result is 20 lost sales... a 1 million dollar loss to the RV manufacturer. That's why their Lobby in DC is so strong. It's all about the money. On the brighter side, that's the reason I can usually grab a rock-star spot next to the fence at an RV park... a lot of these people can't back into a spot worth a damn so they all use the pull-through spaces.;) (CDL OTR driver for 52 yrs.) Money talks, unfortunately.

KF0KPK

Following up my earlier, "As I just begin to look at study materials for General, I can see that there's a LOT to learn" . . .

I did quickly study up for and pass my General license exam, and learned a lot in the process, even though I'm still a beginner. But here's the thing. After getting college and graduate degrees, and studying many subjects very deeply for many years, I've forgotten most of what I learned that wasn't pretty quickly useful or practical. I got a professional degree and license, and was nowhere near ready to practice. Turning this radio "qualification litmus test" into a black-and-white proposition, whereby if you didn't get your license "the right way" (instead of the way the FCC permits, of all things), you don't know anything. Well, d'uh. There's a huge swath of the population that won't ever try anything new, because they don't want to go through the clumsy and often hazed status of being a beginner. I say, have a go, and you'll quickly learn which folks aren't worth even a QSO -- and they're not all beginners.

dlwtrunked

Premium Subscriber
She also couldn't tell you the difference between MHz and KHz.
Ham radio licenses are a key to a door. They let you in so you can continue learning.

You mean the answer being the first ("MHz") is a correct abbreviation and the second ("KHz") is not (it should be "kHz"). :)
My point though is there are things we all forget or sometimes slip on or even regularly do. I was once speaking to the chief scientist of a ~500 person laboratory who made an error that was not only wrong but quite funny. I kept a straight face and he caught his mistake within a few seconds (maybe my face betrayed it).

The 2022 ARRL Handbook is out of print. Here's the 2023 ARRL Handbook in hardcover. It's also available in a 6-volume softcover version. Both versions include access to the electronic version for Mac or Windows.

The license manual you referenced is the ARRL study guide for the Technician license. There are other books in the ARRL store for studying for the General and Extra licenses.

Thanks very much! I sure appreciate it!!

GlobalNorth

Premium Subscriber
The ham license doesn't mean much on its own. Its like you've got the words, but not the music. I think the current ham tests are reasonable. The key is getting the new hams to continue their learning.

Someone at ARRL or a private group wanting to further amateur radio should initiate a 'University of Ham Radio' that educates interested amateurs on the academic, legal, practical and theoretical aspects of the hobby; starting with HF and continuing on to things such as DMR, FT-8, satellite ops, and other specialties in the hobby.

Bridgecom is already doing this in DMR.

WB5UOM

Premium Subscriber
But- there ARE some things YOU should know by the time you got your License- no matter what Class.
Im sorry- but getting on here saying you a new ( enter what ever class you want) and then ask what frequencies can I use on 40m - to me is plain stupid.
Now- to come here and say you are new and you want to put up some kind of hf antenna AND you say you have read about this or that but you dont understand something about it- that will get you most of the time some decent answers.
Just my opinion

Grunddiigg

I'm interested for sure in getting a ham license however I want to make sure I understand it verse just knowing some answers to a test which is why I've hesitated so long. When I take the test and get the technician license I want to be enlightened enough to be capable of setting up my own equipment and communicating with all of you great folks and understanding what I'm doing.

KMG54

Premium Subscriber
Being a ham is great to a extent, unfortunately I am seeing HAM is becoming CB in this area. Constant old hams fighting new hams, old ham is right, new ham is wrong. Just too many old hams set in their way to carry on a conversation. And it has nothing to do with equipment.

daviddarwin

Thank you for sharing your thoughts on the importance of studying the material for the amateur radio licenses. I agree that memorizing the questions and answers is not a good way to learn the concepts and skills that are essential for operating a radio station. You make a good point that reading, studying and learning the material will help you become a better on-air operator and gain more respect from your peers. I appreciate your advice to seek help from Elmers, who are experienced radio amateurs who can mentor and guide newcomers.
I am curious to know more about your own experience with amateur radio. How long have you been involved in this hobby?

k6cpo

Even if someone obtained their license by memorizing the question pool, there is no reason why they should pop up on a forum or social media and ask some of the inane questions they do. The resources to learn are out there if they just apply a little effort. From things as basic as the license manuals, radio manuals (Heaven forbid a ham should actually read a manual) and the last resort, the internet. With the last one, they should be taught to filter carefully, especially if they're using YouTube. (I'd love to see some statistics on how many hams DON'T have a YT channel. Am I the only one?)