• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Dodge Dakota 99 Extended Cab Console

Status
Not open for further replies.

MAS063

Premium Subscriber
If anyone can help me. I am in the process of designing and installing a Kenwood TK-880 mobile in my Dodge Dakota 99. I am planning on putting in a small box (made of wood) which is strapped down with a couple of straps to the seats on either side. This is going to look neat and organized. On the side of the box facing the underside of the dashboard I am planing on putting a Bulkhead connector. (which is a typical PL-259 connector female double barrel mounted on a the panel of the wood again facing the underside of the dashboard. Next to it on the same side of the wood box a power connector see website address. HF 4 pin Power connector for HF Power cords [HF4] - $4.99 Male and female ends. Two wires are for the radio and two wires are for a power splitter for other power outlets. Because the truck cab is small. I want to have the ability to remove the box if need be to put in the back of the cab or bed of the truck if I need more room for the front seats.

I have a sketch Which I will post in a day or two.

Attachments

• IMG_0001.jpg
    IMG_0001.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 2,623
  • IMG_0002.jpg
    IMG_0002.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 2,475

mjthomas59

I have a 1999 Dakota R/T which came with 2 captain's chairs up front and a center console from the factory. I installed a pro-2051 and a a CB under the dash. I used a drill bit and 2 screws to secure the mounting bracket for the 2051 under the dash. I then used 2 thin metal brackets to connect the 2051 bracket to the CB mounting bracket. With the 2 units stacked in this configuration there is still about 3-4 inches between the bottom of the CB and the top of the transmission hump in the truck. They are also more or less out of the way.

The bed of my truck has 2 tie-down hooks built into floor of the bed. Underneath these spots are drain holes. I used the drain hole as a way to fish coax through and then drilled a small hole behind the rear seat on the driver side. This is how I ran the coax inside the truck. I then followed the trim all the way around and under the dash to connect to my scanner.

I suppose the biggest consideration you need to make would be on how to secure the box to the truck in the event of an accident. I wouldn't want that thing flying around and hitting someone. If you used the proper length screws you would likely install small brackets by putting screws through the carpet and transmission hump. You could then find a compatible bracket for the wooden box that would allow something like cotter pins to make it something that is secure but easily removeable.

Also food for thought, I put an nmo hood mount from firestik(i think) which I use for an additional scanner. The mount is solid and is made from thick stainless steel. It secures to the truck using an existing fender bolt which couldn't make things simpler. I then ran the coax through the firewall using an existing grommet that held some other wiring harnesses.

MAS063

Premium Subscriber
Response

Sir,
First of all thank you for responding. I greatly appreciate your input.

I do agree with the box and how to tie down. I have had a couple of thoughts. 1 is either rope or cable connect the left and right sides of the box/console to the two captain chairs. The other thought is a mounting bracket similar to what you mentioned a metal or wood bracket screwed into the floor/mounted. And then pins which would push in and out of the sides. The bracket would look like a CB, Mobile radio typical bracket then have ball bearing spring-loaded tip cotter-pins. (There is another term I can't remember right now).

As for the antenna I did look at the firestick system however, couldn't find the NMO style antenna. If you could reply with the link I would greatly appreciate it.

And I have planned on the grommet to pass the coax through.

Again thank you for your time and input.

Nick

tam85

i also have a 95 dodge ram and already tried to install kenwood tk-880h 45 watt mobile radio, antenex 3db antenna with nmo mount. the quality is good for me.you should try it.

Status
Not open for further replies.