• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Dodge Ram Quad Antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

jpjohn

Premium Subscriber
I just traded from a Dodge Durango to a Ram Quad Cab. I need some idea's on antenna locations. I haven't gotten the Ram yet (Wednesday I think), however I've been trying to plan for radio installation day. The unit will not have a topper.

1. Anyone done anything with NMO mounts in the bed stake pockets? Seems like an ideal location however maybe I'm missing something. What are your thoughts?

2. Not opposed to drilling holes however Ram will have a moon roof which limits the available room up top from what I can tell. Also - truck will be higher than Durango was and height is a consideration as antenna's hit garage door when I drove in garage with the Durango.

3. I do not want antenna mounted up front on left fender. The WI DNR has this type of mount and I think it takes away from the looks of the truck.

4. Anyone ever done a NMO mount on top of the bed rails? Seems to me this would be the same as a NMO mount on a rear fender of a car, however I don't think I've ever seen this done before.

I'm not an antenna expert so I'm looking for ideas........

firescannerbob

Feed Provider
jpjohn said:
4. Anyone ever done a NMO mount on top of the bed rails? Seems to me this would be the same as a NMO mount on a rear fender of a car, however I don't think I've ever seen this done before.
The bed rails may work, although I'd be worried about some cargo hitting an antenna and damaging it.
If you go with the bed rail location, and you can access them from the bottom, you may want to use 3/8" NMO mounts. There probably isn't a lot of room for error on such a narrow location, and a 3/8" hole may be a little more forgiving.

OpSec

All your WACN are belong to us
Database Admin
All due respect, the DNR trucks are work trucks. They aren't meant to look good. If you don't like the mount, don't use it...but making comments about detracting from it's looks are silly. FWIW, the reason that antenna is fender mounted is due to required spacing between it an another antenna installed on the roof. They need to be a certain amount of feet apart from each other and that fender mount is the only option.

Since you got a truck with a sunroof, you've managed to take away a large percentage of available real estate for antennas. Now you will need to compromise between looks and functionality and may end up having to use a less-then-perfect mounting location.

Before anyone can offer you further advice, you need to post what the antennas are to be used for and how many you require to be installed.

jpjohn

Premium Subscriber
No offense intended for the DNR. I agree they are work trucks and the point I was trying to make was I didn't want my truck to look like a work truck. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

I'm looking to mount two VHF antenna's. As I said in my original post, I'm going to use NMO mounts. Right now the plan is for 1/4 wave antenna's.

I will obviously make a choice when I have the truck in the yard and what I was looking for by making this post was idea's from others. I thought maybe someone else had or has a Dodge Ram Quad and had some idea's to share.

I'm not an expert and would't claim to be. I would never be critical of someone elses choice, as I figure if it works for them it is perfect. I'm looking for two scanner antenna's so my need for the absolute perfect mount is not as critical as say the DNR, who need the radios for what could be critical communications.

Thank you to firescannerbob for the 3/8" mount idea. I've got a couple of them and like you said, they may be a little more forgiving.

OpSec

All your WACN are belong to us
Database Admin
Ref: your first post....not an issue. I came off a little heavy-handed anyway. Let's all laugh and carry on :)

Since these are scanner antennas, you don't need to be as concerned where they are mounted or how close together they are. I'd consider both on the roof, to the sides and rear of the sunroof. Otherwise, the bed rails are an option but personally I don't see those being aesthetically pleasing.

jpjohn

Premium Subscriber
OK! Good - On we go.

I'll let you know what I decide upon once I have it in the yard. If anyone else has any idea's please feel free to share them.

jpjohn

Premium Subscriber
After getting the truck home, I realized that a roof mount was not an option due to height of truck and clearance for garage door.

I drilled a couple of holes in the top of bed between first stake hole and back of cab. Then I drilled a couple of holes in floor board to route the coax into the cab. I chose the location between the first stake hole and the back of cab because I have bed rails coming that will take up the balance of the area on the bed rails.

The truck is black so I went with black Antennex VHF antenna's. Actaully they blend in with the truck very nicely.

Reception is very good so I'm pleased with my choice. I'm sure that it isn't the most optimum of locations, but it works for me!

I mounted my two 996T's in the center console. Once Uniden comes out with the remote head option, I will redo it a little bit. However for now - it works!!

Thanks to all for your advice/suggestions.

jpjohn

Premium Subscriber
Will do. Give me a couple days to get caught up and I'll see if I can get some pictures posted.

Status
Not open for further replies.