Does anyone else carry their personal ht or radio to work

Status
Not open for further replies.

Danny37

Does anyone else carry their own personal equipment to work or almost everywhere. I carry my vx-3 everywhere in a cell phone case. I'm a volunteer EMT and ill carry my vx-3r alongside with the ht1250 they provide us to use. sometimes I carry my vx-929 but I usually grab my vx-3r cause its wideband feature and its size. What about you guys?

NW7OR

I'm a security officer, working at various locations, and I carry my GRE PSR-800 scanner while on foot patrol or in my vehicle when on duty. I also have my Alinco DR-150T 2m mobile mounted in my vehicle, although I never turn it on unless I'm on break.

I have found that it increases my situational awareness, and has allowed me to avoid traffic issues and get to where I need to be on time.

A couple of times, law enforcement officers looking for someone who ran from them were nearing my position and I contacted their dispatch and informed them of my presence. They told me to stay in my vehicle and informed their officers, who made contact with me and thanked me for doing so. I told them that I dislike report-writing as much as they do.

Richard, NW7OR

Danny37

It's funny cause i always carry my vx-3r and my fellow EMTs and Medics look at me like I'm nutso. I guess they don't understand the hobby.

CommJunkie

My radios are always in the car when I go somewhere, even to the store, but I don't carry them everywhere. Ham radio is a hobby, not an obsession.

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
My vx6r often goes to work with me, but I rarely carry it because I don't need the looks.

n9zas

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9780; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.600 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

I have 1 ham simplex and a couple of local ham repeaters in one of my work radios. In my personal HT1000 I have 3 of my company channels and 13 amateur channels. Although I like my VX231, I am finding I like using my HT1000 more at work. I do not pack my radio every where I go although I usually have a portable in my truck.

WB4CS

If we have severe weather forcasted for that day I will bring my HT with me into work. Sometimes I'll bring it with me when I'm out running errands, but if I'm doing something that I'm too busy to have a QSO, I leave it at home.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Benefit of being the radio guy at work:
Kenwood TK-5210 VHF with all the work stuff, interop stuff, and a zone for 2 meters.

Kenwood NX-700 in the work truck, same set up, zone for 2 meters.

SCPD

QRT
Hamming at work

I have local repeaters scanning in my work radio, but the ham freqs are transmit disabled. Too much of a chance of someone at work needing a radio and grabbing mine. I estimate there are about 4-5 handhelds floating around my workplace like that.

Danny37

I don't carry it everywhere but I do carry it when I have time on my hands. I carry it the most when I'm on the ambulance so I use it as a scanner to monitor interop and local stuff. I wouldn't carry it to a dentist appointment that's just plain obsession lol.

ermin

I have my UV-5r with me at work all the time and my PRO-96 some times. I enjoy the background chatter while I'm in the office.

de KE4BMR Ed

LtDoc

I have a radio in the car that covers what I want to hear. I also usually have an HT in the car also, it's a Part-90 radio so can use it for either use. Haven't needed an HT yet and hope I never do, but I've got it if I need one.
- 'Doc

Danny37

It's nice to have background noise with th radio going, I prefer music but my music isn't very fond of in the feild I'm in. Being that I'm a 80s guy who loves black sabbath, iron maiden, metallica and Motörhead lol.

RESlusher

I keep mine in my messenger bag along with my iPad. Sometimes I put it on my desk and listen to the local repeaters and to the RACES nets if the weather turns ugly.

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
It's nice to have background noise with th radio going, I prefer music but my music isn't very fond of in the feild I'm in. Being that I'm a 80s guy who loves black sabbath, iron maiden, metallica and Motörhead lol.

It sounds like we share the same flavor danny ( from a old drummer!) :cool:

n9zas

ab3a

No, I don't take it with me, but I'm not particularly active on the air anyway. When I do take a radio, it is usually on long road trips and I'll usually take my Kenwood TS-50 with me. I do some 10 Meter FM work, and listen a bit on 146.52 MHz on a hand-held radio...

KG4INW

Premium Subscriber
Sometimes. I work at a Motorola dealer so I get to use radios all the time! We also occasionally go on top of tall buildings so range is great.

Status
Not open for further replies.