Does anyone have a TRX-1 in Sacramento (or any Whistler digital portable)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcjones2013

Radio Communications Enthusiast
Premium Subscriber
How does your TRX-1 (or other digital Whistler) perform on the SRRCS? Have you tried it on the P25 system, albeit very little traffic on that system currently. Do you like Whistler over Uniden? I'm thinking of trying out a TRX-1 here soon.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

norcalscan

Interoperating Spurious Emissions
Premium Subscriber
I've driven through on I5 with a WS1098 scanning both the old and new systems. I did get some hits on the digital side. Sounded pretty good, but I had CHP on priority, kids in the backseat, and traffic so focusing on the system was not a priority for me. Not sure when I'll get down next where I can sit and listen for a while just on the system.

KD6HRI

I have a Whistler WS1088 handheld (and a TRX-2) and I have Sac County P25 system loaded in. So far so good. Signal is very good and transmissions are clear and readable on a Remtronix 800mHz duck antenna. On several occasions the very beginning of a conversation is a bit garbled, but clears up pretty quickly. After listening for a few days the P25 transmissions seem to rotate around to different agencies and department. One day it was County Sheriff North dispatch and Metro Fire dispatch A and the next day it was West Sacto Fire and Sacto City PD. Probably done so to check how the system is working countywide before committing fully to the system.
I also have a Uniden BCD536HP and its picking up P25 traffic loud and clear. If your like me it is easier for me to program my Whistlers then it is to program my Unidens, but I enjoy both makers radios!

crucialcolin

great question! I was just looking at the TRX-1 myself as an alternative to Uniden.

Currently I have a Uniden BC246T and was thinking about upgrading to either a BCD325P2 and BCD436HP soon. Overall I liked my Uniden as its served its purpose well, mainly monitoring Roseville & Sac County systems with occasional Rocklin, Lincoln, Placer use, except I've always found the speaker to be a little lackluster in volume and clarity. That may give me enough reason to try Whistler.

One thing I have heard is one of the manufacture devices tends to struggle properly decoding P25 systems that broadcast from multiple sites(like Sac). Unfortunately I can't remember which. It would be interesting to see a direct side by side performance comparison.

Status
Not open for further replies.