Does anyone know the frequencies for the wings of Wayne Air show this year?

sunnydog1

Premium Subscriber
Does anyone know the frequencies for the wings over Wayne Air show this year? I'm using a SDS 100 The database within the scanner has some air show frequencies within it already. I'm assuming Air show operations are separate from the normal Seymour Johnson air traffic control frequencies but I may be wrong. Any help would be much appreciated.

a417

If you're attending, the website states that you should leave your scanner at home.
It's not specfically listed in the prohibited items on the main page items list, but in the FAQ - "what should I leave at home" check out #5.

I suppose if you were in the immediate area - and did not pay for attendance, you should be able to do close call on airband with that SDS and find out.

sunnydog1

Premium Subscriber
I'm not going on base this year I'm going to watch from highway 70 about a mile off the runway. With that being said the last three air shows I've been to there's been at least one person with a scanner own base. I've never tried it because I didn't want to take the risk of being sent back to the car with it and having to leave an expensive piece of equipment unattended.

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
Does anyone know the frequencies for the wings over Wayne Air show this year? I'm using a SDS 100 The database within the scanner has some air show frequencies within it already. I'm assuming Air show operations are separate from the normal Seymour Johnson air traffic control frequencies but I may be wrong. Any help would be much appreciated.
As @a417 said, they do not allow scanners in the air show grounds and I have been denied entry with mine at the last show, and from years past it is difficult to see the aircraft from the parking area. Hopefully your location to view the show is better.

That said, the only mystery frequency will be the Air Boss however they previously used 126.250, the aircraft performing are in the RR database for the most part and at this old post below.

Also, for $3 it is a good idea to get the March 2023 issue of The Spectrum Monitor, the 2023 Air Show Edition packed with a bunch of info and freqs.

As for non-air operations, here is what was used in 2019;
Alpha 1 - EMS Ops
Alpha 2 - SHP Traffic Posts
Alpha 3 - Inside Ops
Alpha 4 - Command / Fire Ops
Bravo 1 - Traffic Ops

The base talkgroups were;
8208 Event ops
6480 Encrypted and clear sounds like security forces
6448 Encrypted and clear sounds like security forces
240 Public Affairs/Organizers of WOW (call sign PA#)
5008 Comm tech setting up PA system
1744 Fire/EMS
12912 AC Maintenance
1872 Trash Crews for event
656 Discussing traffic entering event

sunnydog1

Premium Subscriber
Yeah I'm not going on base this year as the people that are going with me can't really handle the amount of walking required. I've watched the show in the past from highway 70 not as good as being on base but not bad either. Anyway I figured this year would be a good time to try out the scanner and see what I can and pick up.

k6cpo

If you're attending, the website states that you should leave your scanner at home.
It's not specfically listed in the prohibited items on the main page items list, but in the FAQ - "what should I leave at home" check out #5.

I suppose if you were in the immediate area - and did not pay for attendance, you should be able to do close call on airband with that SDS and find out.
This is really a dumb rule. I wonder what harm they think having a scanner could have.

I checked the website for the MCAS Miramar Air Show in September and I noticed they have a prohibition on FRS/GMRS radios, VHF radios and scanners for the first time in my recollection. If these events continue to add more and more restrictions, pretty soon no one will attend.

Last edited:

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
This is really a dumb rule. I wonder what harm they think having a scanner could have.

I checked the website for the MCAS Miramar Air Show in September and I noticed they have a prohibition on FRS/GMRS radios, VHF radios and scanners for the first time in my recollection. If these events continue to add more and more restrictions, pretty soon no one will attend.
I'm sure they'll always get a good turn out, but agree the restrictions are getting dumb. It is probably because the people often cadets at the gates can't tell the difference between a scanner and airband tx radio

k6cpo

I'm sure they'll always get a good turn out, but agree the restrictions are getting dumb. It is probably because the people often cadets at the gates can't tell the difference between a scanner and airband tx radio
The last time I went through the security gate at the Miramar Air Show, it was military police personnel checking the bags and metal detectors. It's always been that way at Miramar. Years ago, I went through the security gate and the person there didn't recognize the old Vietnam War vintage P-38 can opener I had on my key chain.

sunnydog1

Premium Subscriber
If I try close call should I enable any other bands than the air band? All I'm interested in are air operations.

kn4son

Take one of these:

It's not a scanner, and it will pick up air band frequencies. It looks like a normal personal radio. (Also does AM/FM, NOAA Weather Radio, and short wave). To find the frequencies, look for the trailer or platform with the media photographers. They'll know. Take a pair of earbuds so you can still hear it when jet (or other) noise would drown it out. They'll also help in the quite unlikely event that your radio creates a feedback loop when they put ATC on the PA system.

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
To find the frequencies, look for the trailer or platform with the media photographers. They'll know.
At WOW there is no media trailer or platform, they shoot from the ground, in years past, and from chatting with the media covering the event in years past they had no clue or anyway to monitor the aircraft.

jeffs555

Another option would be to use an SDR app on your phone and a small SDR dongle. That and some bluetooth earbuds would work fine as a scanner for the air frequencies. Don't know if they would let it in, but it wouldn't look like a scanner.

Also, an old post in 2017 said the air boss was using the tower freq 126.250

Last edited:

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
Another option would be to use an SDR app on your phone and a small SDR dongle. That and some bluetooth earbuds would work fine as a scanner for the air frequencies. Don't know if they would let it in, but it wouldn't look like a scanner.

This has worked for me before and I have been able to get my small Neoelec dongle in, but the phone app doesn't allow scanning multiple frequencies (like all the Blue Angles) unless you know of one that does.
As mentioned in post #4

sunnydog1

Premium Subscriber

Hopefully that's what they're still doing because all those frequencies are already programmed in the scanners database.

Metrologist

As @a417 said, they do not allow scanners in the air show grounds and I have been denied entry with mine at the last show, and from years past it is difficult to see the aircraft from the parking area. Hopefully your location to view the show is better.

That said, the only mystery frequency will be the Air Boss however they previously used 126.250, the aircraft performing are in the RR database for the most part and at this old post below.

Also, for $3 it is a good idea to get the March 2023 issue of The Spectrum Monitor, the 2023 Air Show Edition packed with a bunch of info and freqs.

As for non-air operations, here is what was used in 2019;
Alpha 1 - EMS Ops
Alpha 2 - SHP Traffic Posts
Alpha 3 - Inside Ops
Alpha 4 - Command / Fire Ops
Bravo 1 - Traffic Ops

The base talkgroups were;
8208 Event ops
6480 Encrypted and clear sounds like security forces
6448 Encrypted and clear sounds like security forces
240 Public Affairs/Organizers of WOW (call sign PA#)
5008 Comm tech setting up PA system
1744 Fire/EMS
12912 AC Maintenance
1872 Trash Crews for event
656 Discussing traffic entering event
Thank you!