Does anyone know?

Status
Not open for further replies.

snapperq

Premium Subscriber
Thanks to all that responded to my last thread!
I found the frequencies but...........
Has anybody heard for an antenna power booster to increase the reception signal strength?
Looks like I'm on the distance edge of pickup the signals from Columbus, Ohio and Detroit.
I can get Toledo which is about 50 miles north of me with a strong signal but would like to get a little more distance. Also, is there forms group on here for Ohio?
What do you think?

snapperq

Premium Subscriber
ohio scanner

Thanks for the info.
I have a Diamond omni which is about 60 feet up. Guess its not enough.

rwier

..........................................................Has anybody heard for an antenna power booster to increase the reception signal strength?....................................................

I have one of these (TinyURL.com - shorten that long URL into a tiny URL) in my truck and one in my house. My antennas on both the truck and the house are both (SenComm-NMO™ Mobile Antenna Part No: 08-ANT-0890) (SenComm-NMOâ„¢ Mobile Antenna).

Using the HP-1(E) for analysis of signal strength and quality, this antenna is the best for P-25 Simulcast (for me) of a dozen or so antennas tested. This antenna is designed for 698MHz-999MHz. However, the quality of reception of the lowest frequencies is very acceptable. The use of the splitter/booster advances an already satisfactory reception situation, to a unbelievably superior result.

The splitter/booster gives the same results whether sending the signal to only one scanner, or to four. The in-house set up is using 70+ feet of RG-8X (whatever that is, lol) coming down from the roof.

The use of any one of the component parts used in these set-ups have been derided in various RR Forums. E.g.: "That booster is only for T.V.", or "That antennae is only for cell phones", or "That booster will just make the interference more pronounced", etc. The combination of such inadvisable hardware coupled together, and then the audacity to claim a superior result, must appear to some as a complete confession of insanity, lol.

rwier

So can you tell me where I can buy one of these and what is the cost?

Hi Snapper, is that question for me? If so:

For the splitter: TinyURL.com/yd5scds (Amazon)

For the dome: http://www.mpantenna.com/wheretobuy/

Or (might have got mine here) http://www.tessco.com/products/

Not cheap, but remember that if your results mirror mine, you can run 4 scanners at once and decode 800 MHz Systems better than using just one very good antenna alone.

There is another gotcha, lol. It will probably require multiple adapter combinations at the ends of the spaghetti to connect everything together. I saw this coming and bought cable cutting, crimping, stripping, and compressing tools, alone with connectors by the dozen (gets down to cents/apiece instead of dollars) to "role my own" at the spaghetti ends. This also allows for neat correct lengths of all cables.

One of my favorite scanner experiences of all time: A 500, two 800's, and an HP-1(E), all with the exact same input (shuffle the HP-1(E) around to confirm by meter). Any anomaly jumps out at you. Throws all that BS about this radio or that radio decoding better than another radio right out the window. When I got it right, all four radios were pulling together identically, like a well trained and controlled mule team, lol.

The HP-1 (E) also allows instant discovery of a "bad connector" (just wiggle the connections and watch the HP-1(E) meters). This alone is worth far more than the "E" additional cost (for me).

My apologies to all if the question was not for me.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.