Does anyone listen to CIMA?

Status
Not open for further replies.

zerg901

Premium Subscriber
Does anyone listen to Channel Industries Mutual Aid (CIMA) in the Houston area? Previous posts have stated that they do rollcalls at 3 AM and 6 PM.

I am trying to update the 2010 CIMA spreadsheet from this thread - CIMA Listeners ???

I suspect that some sites have changed names. Between the companies with multiple sites, changed names, and sharing of complexes - its tough to figure out who does what where and when.

Bottom line - there might be 100 industrial fire brigades with 200 pumpers and maybe 50 ladder trucks - its a huge huge huge industrial conglomeration.

Here is an updated spreadsheet for CIMA - CIMA in Texas - updated May 7 2020 - I have tried using the Right To Know website - and the local LEPC websites - and the county assessors info. So far it seems that the best info comes from cruising around in Google Street View and reading the roadside signs for the various plants.

Markef

I used to work on the chanel. I did the radio check for Simpson Paper at 3 AM which is no longer in business. I haven't heard them at 6PM lately. Not sure why however.

zerg901

Premium Subscriber
https://www.csb.gov/assets/1/6/dupont_laporte_final_report.pdf - this is a sad report about a chemical release in 2014 at Dupont's LaPorte Plant - the emergency response team (ERT) there was staffed by 3 different companies - which makes me think they all shared 1 radio system also

In August 2017, Dow and Dupont merged - and Chemers joined the ERT at that site at LaPorte - so there were 4 companies with crew members on the ERT

You can see that getting a good handle on how the emergency response teams are organized is not very straightforward

=========================

Here is a preliminary report on the major tank farm fire in 2019 - https://www.csb.gov/assets/1/20/itc_factual_update_2019-10-30.pdf?16522 - this provides more info about the challenges and operations within these industrial complexes

zerg901

Premium Subscriber
Still trying to dig thru all the info. Apparently many of the plants have changed ownership over the last dozen years. But the street addresses seem to remain constant. And there are a few pictures of some of their fire trucks online. Still very unsure as to the number of industrial fire trucks and stations in the area. (Note - the municipal fire departments in the Houston area have few if any foam or dry chemical fire trucks - except at the airports).

Overview - these huge industrial sites typically each have an "emergency response team" (ERT). The ERT members are plant workers who receive extra firefighting / hazmat / rescue training. When an emergency happens, the ERT people respond to the plant firehouse, get their gear, and drive the plant fire trucks to the scene. (I dont think that most plants have people actually sitting in the plant firehouse waiting for calls - so it is very analogous to a "volunteer fire department" in this operational sense).

It is very possible that all primary communications are done via the plant radio system - with a security guard at the front gate serving as the dispatcher. Many of the plants also have sirens and audible alarms for alerting plant workers and the public. And the Internet and automated telephone messaging systems are used also.

Note - some of the industrial plants may be located within city limits, but the vast majority seem to be on unincorporated land. (However I did discover (via the County Assessor maps) that 1 small industrial plant near Deer Park does pay taxes to the County, the Deer Park Schools, and the Port District).

----------------------

Report on petro fire - Houston Texas - March 17 2019 - info (1 page) on the ITC fire from March 2019 - with some radio and comms info

zerg901

Premium Subscriber
Have been working to update the spreadsheet. Have found photos of some of the fire apparatus. There have been some new rigs in the last few years as they replace fire apparatus purchased 20 to 25 years ago.

1. some sites have changed names and ownership over the last 10 years

2. sometimes the street address might not match the assessors addresses which might not match the corporation website listed addresses which might not match the telephone company addresses

3. the Bayport area is the new industrial area in the south end of Pasadena - some companys have built newer complexes in the Bayport area to supplement their original plants - so you end up with 'Lubrizol Deer Park Plant Engine 1' and 'Lubrizol Bayport Plant Engine 1'

4. some companies have multi site radio systems - so Lubrizol might have 1 radio license in the Houston area - but if you check the locations of the repeaters you find that the license is covering more than 1 of their plants

5. at least 1 plant has more than 1 fire station - iirc it is Shell

6. still have no real idea on the total number of industrial fire trucks in the area - a wild guess at this point would be 25 to 50 large industrial pumpers and 10 industrial quints (3000 GPM) - plus they have hazmat trucks and trench rescue trailers and marine spill trailers etc plus technical rescue units and ambulances

Status
Not open for further replies.