Does anyone make a 10 meter single SSB radio and a 6 meter radio?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

Trying to get back into ham radio just wondering is there anyone who makes a 10 meter rig and a 6 meter rig?. I really love 10 meters.

Thanks
John

TheSpaceMann

Ranger makes both 10 meter and a 6 meter radios. You can also find used HTX-100s and HR-2510s for sale.

K7MEM

Trying to get back into ham radio just wondering is there anyone who makes a 10 meter rig and a 6 meter rig?. I really love 10 meters.

A better approach might be to upgrade your ham license. The General class written test isn't that difficult. 10 Meters is great when the band is open, but it won't really be good for a couple more years. With a General, or above, if the propagation on 10 Meters isn't good, yo can move to another band where the propagation is better.

Then start looking at all mode, all band, radios. You should be able to find some good used radios that will cover 160 through 2 meters, and run any mode you want (SSB, FM, AM, CW).

Martin - K7MEM

k8krh

I wouldn't waste your money, the bands are dead, sunspot cycle is gone, maybe and I say maybe in 5 or 6 years they might come back.
DOCTOR/795

SCPD

QRT
Hey 30054
A Six and Ten metre side band transceiver… I have the perfect one.
Its an Icom 575A ; an All Mode radio that covers 26-56 Mhz*; it is the 10 Watt version of its higher powered sister ( :) ) the 575H (100 Watts.) I acquired it some years ago, but its features and operating spec's are nearly as good as anything available today.
I love Icom equipment.
This one I picked up especially for 6 metre’s. I have used it on 10, where it does just as nice a job - but it is limited at its 10 watts. 10 Watts is sufficient for most things Skip-wise on 50 Mhz… With it I have talked into Japan, Korea, Australia- from the central pacific season after season with a simple 3 element beam. From the US my best DX was probably southern Argentina with 10 Watts- though for awhile it drove a home brew’d 4CX250 linear- Up’ing its voice considerably… I found this un-necessary for 99% of my interests and set it aside. Anyway, you get the idea.

If you can find one, they are a great multi band transceiver…….get's a Coyote A+ rating…. :)
As far as 6 being dead?… I won’t get into that here. You might want to take a peak at the comments on this Forum under - Let's talk about 6m FM. -- This might change an opinion.

……………………………….......CF

Last edited:

RFI-EMI-GUY

Hello,

Thanks
John
I have an Icom IC-575H this is a 100 watt unit that is mult mode FM SSB CW etc.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

Skypilot007

Premium Subscriber
Hello,

Thanks
John

Just get a general coverage HF rig that covers 6 meters and you'll never look back at those others again. You can use it for shortwave listening and listen to the other Ham bands as well. Don't waist your money on a 10 meter only rig or a 10-6 meter only rig. A general coverage HF rig that covers 6 will cost a bit more but you will be happy you made the choice. Save your penny's if you have too, get a general coverage HF rig.

wqtz773

HF radio suggestions, if you like ICOM

Just get a general coverage HF rig that covers 6 meters and you'll never look back at those others again. You can use it for shortwave listening and listen to the other Ham bands as well. Don't waist your money on a 10 meter only rig or a 10-6 meter only rig. A general coverage HF rig that covers 6 will cost a bit more but you will be happy you made the choice. Save your penny's if you have too, get a general coverage HF rig.

I agree!
Take a real close look at the ICOM radios. I own an IC-7200. It covers the whole spectrum of HF bands all the way from 160 to 6 meters. However, there is no FM on 6 meters, just CW, U/LSSB, AM and data. Little expensive, but you are buying a high-end radio.

On the newer side of the ICOM world, take a hard look at the IC-7300 HF transceiver. Nice radio, a bit pricey, but it might be the last radio you might want to buy for a long time. Go get your General Class license, its a lot more fun than a tech license. 73!

RFI-EMI-GUY

One thing to watch out for is that the low end radios have only one antenna connector for HF through 6 meters. This means you need an antenna and tuner for the entire band or a manual or automatic antenna switch. HF mobile usually employ vertical whips while 6 meter operations prefer a horizontal loop antenna.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

k9wkj

However, there is no FM on 6 meters

huh?
who was i talking to yesterday? what was the repeater thingy beeping back at me :D
there are lots of 6m repeaters all over the place
and all the cool cats are on lowband FM :cool:

apparently i cant read and horribly misread your post
softening brain syndrome

but i really did talk to actual humans on 6m FM really i did !!

Last edited:

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
You can also use a diplexer/duplexer with separate outputs for 6m and 10m.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
Take a real close look at the ICOM radios. I own an IC-7200. It covers the whole spectrum of HF bands all the way from 160 to 6 meters. However, there is no FM on 6 meters, just CW, U/LSSB, AM and data.
Yes, one of the downsides to the IC-7200 is that it doesn't do FM on 10m and 6m.

One of the upsides is that it's very easy to do sound card data modes on this radio thanks to the built-in USB sound card accessible through the USB port on the back of the radio.

K7MH

Premium Subscriber
Why anyone would want a "just" 6 and 10 meter rig is beyond me. These days most HF rigs all have 6 meters in them so you get all the HF bands plus 6 meters which is more worthwhile to own.

6 and 10 are pretty quiet these days and that isn't likely to change all that much for many years to come.
Occasional openings sure, and some contesting going on but it will be pretty limited and being in the right place at the right time.

Status
Not open for further replies.