• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Does anyone make a 2m/70cm/33cm antenna?

Status
Not open for further replies.

iceman977th

Feed Provider
As the title says.. I am looking for an antenna that will cover 2m, 70cm, and 33cm all in one antenna, if possible. I have seen 2m/70cm/23cm (146/440/1200) but I really need one that is more optimized for 33cm (900MHz) if possible. This is actually not for ham radio, but 2m and 33cm are close enough to the bands I need it for (railroad voice and ATCS data) as I plan on putting up a single antenna at one site to cover both with a diplexer to split the signal (there is existing coax that we plan on using which is why I am asking)

Mike

iceman977th

Feed Provider
Why is my post moved to the Commercial forum? I'm asking about amateur antennas, but it's not designated for a ham radio use. Can we quit moving posts willy-nilly? There's a reason I posted it in the ham radio section..

Mike

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I think this is as close as you are going to get:

The VHF and UHF sides are tuned for the commercial segment of the band, but I think you'll find that SWR is acceptable on the 2 meter/70cm band. Since it's 1/4 wave on VHF, it's probably going to have enough bandwidth to do well.

Would be interesting to have someone who owns one put it on an analyzer and see how it looks at 2m, 70cm and 900MHz.

FFPM571

Premium Subscriber
Why is my post moved to the Commercial forum? I'm asking about amateur antennas, but it's not designated for a ham radio use. Can we quit moving posts willy-nilly? There's a reason I posted it in the ham radio section..

Mike
the reason is probably because what you are asking for is more along the lines of a multi band commercial antenna due to the fact there is no antenna that made for that in the ham ranges

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Would a discone work?

It sure would. The OP never stated if they were looking for mobile or base antenna.
Drawback is that the discone has zero gain and funky radiation patterns. Might work fine, though.

That antenna is 2 meter, 70 centimeter and 23 centimeters. 23 Centimeters is the 1240MHz band. OP was looking for something close to the 33 centimeter band, which is 900MHz.

prcguy

The OP would be much better off with a dedicated 160MHz and 900MHz antenna with diplexer. Using a 2m antenna on VHF RR is usually grim where the antenna gain has fallen off drastically that far out of band. A diplexer for VHF and 900 is super easy and not very expensive. There were a bunch of surplus 900MHz high gain base antennas on Ebay recently for a really cheap price, I almost bought a couple but I'm a bit overstocked right now.

wd9cms

I use a Motorola AN000131A01 tri-band antenna that covers all three bands:

The PCTeL PCTWSLMR is basically the same antenna:

These antennas preform well on all bands. Physics is physics individual dedicated single band antennas will work better but these are a good single antenna that covers what you are looking for.

KN4EHX

Premium Subscriber
I use a Motorola AN000131A01 tri-band antenna that covers all three bands:

The PCTeL PCTWSLMR is basically the same antenna:

These antennas preform well on all bands. Physics is physics individual dedicated single band antennas will work better but these are a good single antenna that covers what you are looking for.
Can confirm this is a good antenna for mobile operations. I was running 5/8 wave VHF, UHF, and 7/800 antennas until I smacked a low hanging tree branch with the VHF antenna. Totally killed a 6 meter antenna at the same time. I use pretty much all bands from VHF low to 7/800 in both ham and public service. After trying out the all band antenna I’ll say it works much better than I expected on VHF; I’ll go as far as saying it works unusually well.... almost too well and it is much shorter than the 5/8 wave. I’ve only been in one situation where the 5/8 out performed the full spectrum antenna. On UHF it is okay but nothing to write home about - a 5/8 wave will definitely do you better on UHF if you plan to use any very distant repeaters. On 900 it ain’t bad but if you’re using analog and less than 30 watts again go 5/8 because you’re going to need all the oomph you can get. 7/800 on p25 it is excellent. With that being said if you want to use one NMO antenna it indeed will do it all just don’t expect it to do what a dedicated 5/8 wave antenna will do. To end I’ll say it is a very good option and it is likely it will cover all your needs. I live in very rural Appalachia and it does things I didn’t expect it to do - actually rather well. Definitely worth a try and if you look on eBay you can find them for not so expensive; the Harris full spectrum antenna is also an excellent option no real differences between them in terms of performance.

Status
Not open for further replies.