Does anyone sell a Raspberry Pi turnkey audio server???

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeatock

Premium Subscriber
Surely someone out there sells a turn-key Pi device that takes scanner or audio and streams it. If not, here is an opportunity for me hire a Pi-Guru and make a few bucks on Amazon.

There is nothing wrong with creating trails and busting through snowdrifts to discover new things. But if I can buy a wheel there is no point learning the terminology of variable angular rolling motion, experimenting with round things, and building multiple trial versions. If I have the need (and the time) I can reverse-engineer store-bought wheels faster than designing them.

I have too many things of higher priority and in this case I'm a buyer, not a builder.

Yes, any old PC or laptop will do streaming, but they are either too big, expensive, crash/lock/fail for many reasons, or overkill for a simple application. I have several. Yes, I have found devices designed for other purposes "that might work, provided..." A simple, robust, plug-and-play purpose-built device would be far more better.

My immediate needs:

- 1. 3.5mm audio speaker-level input from a scanner or other source.
- 2. 10/100M LAN with a stable IPV-4 IP hard-wired to a router. (Static IP or Router-defined fixed MAC assignment.)
- 3. Web-based server (multicast to any type of remote platform) that more than one user can simultaneously get to via LAN or the Internet to hear the audio.
- 4. All parts and pieces, enclosure, power supply, etc. that can be installed quickly.
- 5. Unattended automatic startup so I don't have to drive 30 miles every time the power blinks.
- 6. Password protection of the audio stream.
- 7. PLUG AND PLAY!!!

And since I'm asking::

- A separate text config file so I don't thick-finger the main code.
- Audio input level attenuation since some inputs can not be adjusted at the source, ideally automatic and/or remote controlled.
- UPNP to configure router port forwarding (and not just external port 80!).
- Stereo input so one source can be on the left channel and a different source on the right, with independent attenuation.
- Option: W-LAN.
- Option: USB, RBG or IP camera streaming.
- Option: Send USB-connected weather data from a "Tycon Power Systems ProWeatherStation" and others to WeatherUnderground.
- Option: CTCSS, EIA control tone and/or voting receiver pilot tone removal AF filtering.

Application:

- Not primary for me at all locations, but have the ability to send audio to Broadcastify. This could easily be the main use for the majority of buyers, and make it easy for anyone with a scanner to be a feed provider without dedicating a computer's audio 24/7.
- For me, quick, easy, down-and-dirty remote monitoring of audio on any remote computing platform via a private server. I am specifically looking for a device I can order, take out of its box, plug in audio and LAN, configure my router ports, and beat feet off the cold windy ridge before the blizzard hits.
- Temporary remote RF diagnostics or radio traffic monitoring without dedicating a PC/Laptop for weeks.

Provisos:

- Remote access reset and configuration is must.
- I want to plug it in, not experiment. My searches have returned thousands of hits, but I immediately abandon any page containing "That's easy. Buy any XYX board with B+++ and other (unspecied) requirements from a hobby vendor, then modify the 8th octet of tar feather \a -2ndfr //load \\1fc:3fc:2fc:2a3/-a0 until it works".
- Installation will always be in a building or radio enclosure; protection from the elements is not an issue.
- There may be higher than normal RF energy present. I swear by Mother's R-56 standard, but Faraday cages are few and far between.
- I am NOT afraid to edit command lines, but would prefer to plug in a pre-assembled and configured device, lock down the IP and move to my next emergency.

Anyone???

(Lindsey Blanton: Hint, hint! I can't be the only buyer that doesn't want to or have time to build and experiment . Think Scannercast dual server functionality in a black box and of the Broadcastify "gray" areas that could be turned red by a non-tech with a scanner.)

JACK26

Interested in this challenge. How much would you be willing to pay for a plug and play solution for Raspberry Pi ?
i.e. at a retail level, not a R&D level owning the IP.

PS: The first thing anyone asks for this kind of endeavor is "..is there a viable retail market.."
That is what I am asking you.

Last edited:

DC31

Feed Provider
" For me, quick, easy, down-and-dirty remote monitoring of audio on any remote computing platform via a private server. I am specifically looking for a device I can order, take out of its box, plug in audio and LAN, configure my router ports, and beat feet off the cold windy ridge before the blizzard hits."

An interesting proposition, J.

So you are interested primarily in a box that will stream audio to a server located on that box? Then to be able to listen to that private stream from anywhere on the internet. That isn't rocket science as long as you are capable of setting the necessary port forwarding settings on your router. Use a raspberry pi with darkice/darksnow and an icecast server. All new pi's (raspbian jessie) come with RealVNC for remote access.

All you really need is someone to supply you with the image that you download and install on the card, plug the card into hardware that you buy and you can easily beat the whiteout. Or you can pay someone to gather all the parts and pieces, assemble them, insert the card, and ship it to you. Just the expense to do this is going to be in the $100 range when you add up the parts and pieces and then ship it. Nothing for the person's time.

This would also be a good fit for a CHIP single board computer (getchip.com). They are $9 but currently unavailable. They have integrated sound input (so no usb sound card) and wifi but no Ethernet. Ethernet would require a usb adapter.

Let me think about it some more (like I need another project!). In its very basic form, i might be able to put together an image in less than an hour.

DC31

Feed Provider
Once I got the OS installed on the SD card and updated (this process can take an hour but requires no user intervention) it took about 20 minutes to make an image that auto starts and streams to a local server.
Simplest means of distribution would be image a card and stick it in an envelope > snail mail. You get the hardware, stick the card in, then plug sound card, 3.5mm cable and power in.

Then you need to set up your router to forward incoming requests to port 8000 on the pi ip address.

The streamer configuration also includes the information to stream to broadcastify. These lines are commented out. If you can handle a command line text editor you could add a broadcastify feed in a matter of minutes.

k9wkj

for all the messing, wouldnt a Barix Instreamer or similar be better suited?
a Pi with a SD card is still just a Pi with SD a card

edit: cripes never mind i see they never got cheaper.....
years ago we had contemplated a streaming appliance but saw that it would never make any money

Last edited:

jeatock

Premium Subscriber
All very interesting, but...

Confirming: I'm looking for a turn key device, or at worst an EXACT bill of materials specifying vendor and order numbers whatever guzintas are required, along with easy detailed assembly instructions and the code to make it work. Assume that I'm a (frugal) idiot with purchasing ability, and a total newbie in the Pi world where much of the discussion might as well be in Latin. Routers and porting are no problem though, nor would editing a txt file to send data where I need it. Other than that...

Looked at the BARIX device. Sorta pricey, plus it is an existing device re-purposed for this project that may or may not do everything required.

(guzinta - guz-IN-ta - proper noun for the thingamabob that 'goes into' the other whatsit)

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
Looked at the BARIX device. Sorta pricey, plus it is an existing device re-purposed for this project that may or may not do everything required.

Cheaper than an STL (which is why many radio stations have been migrating to Barix based solutions to replace their STL's).

DC31

Feed Provider
All very interesting, but...

Confirming: I'm looking for a turn key device, or at worst an EXACT bill of materials specifying vendor and order numbers whatever guzintas are required, along with easy detailed assembly instructions and the code to make it work. Assume that I'm a (frugal) idiot with purchasing ability, and a total newbie in the Pi world where much of the discussion might as well be in Latin. Routers and porting are no problem though, nor would editing a txt file to send data where I need it. Other than that...

(guzinta - guz-IN-ta - proper noun for the thingamabob that 'goes into' the other whatsit)

Your shopping list is attached (MCM Electronics). The sound card is actually available from other sources for $3-5 but single source keeps it simple for you. Put the pi into the case, plug in the sound card (I assume you have the 3.5mm cable?), plug in your ethernet, insert the SD card that I send you in the mail, power it up, and you will be streaming. From another web browser go to port 8000 on the ip address of the pi and you will hear it.

I can make you an SD card for $20 including mailing. Send me a PM if you are interested.

The pi will be equipped with remote access through RealVNC. If you want, i can edit the text file for you after you have it installed.

Jim

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.