Does Anyone Sell Scanners in the Philly Area?

Status
Not open for further replies.

philacop

Premium Subscriber
Another one forgotten was Brants Electronics on Central Ave in Cheltenham Pa right outside Philadelphia. They closed a wh yagi and now it’s a musical instrument store ..

kh11

Premium Subscriber
"Ham" Buerger, the various Radio Shacks, Lafayette in Cheltenham, yeah I'm an oldster. Also AED Communications, back when he was on Wyandotte Road in Willow Grove, off of 611. (Even K-mart used to sell scanners back then.)

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
Yes we reveal our age on these threads. I knew Bob Buerger when he had his store in Jenkintown Borough on Old York Road. I bought a Lafayette he90 used in 1966. I guess I was 12 with my dad and my brother and Uncle who were hams. We put up our High Gain collinear 2 on the roof in Abington.
He had a great store called hambuergers in Willow Grove for many years after that and I would visit regularly for whatever I needed... great stock, right through the 80s.

Last edited:

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
Anybody remember CB sales off of Roosevelt Boulevard in the Northeast? I bought my first digital scanner there, the bc250d which had the optional digital chip, it wasn't too long after that I got my Pro 96 at Radio Shack, made by GRE which absolutely blew the doors off the bearcat which was muffled and garbled, the pro 96 was clear as a bell on Bucks County type II smartzone. We are talking... 2003.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
Hey Dan, I believe it's the same 2 Brothers, lots of CB stuff but they also sold a lot of scanners and antennas and other accessories. Fun store.

When I came back to the area here in the mid-80s I believe they had already moved to the Northeast location. It was a great store.

Pretty much HRO in Delaware now, loreco Electronics on Route 1 in Lawrenceville New Jersey was a great place when I worked up in Trenton but they're gone too. White Dotte in Vincentown New Jersey is still there but they don't sell scanners anymore, just repair and install CB.

phillydjdan

I bought my 536HP from HRO. I was ready to return it by the time I got home it sounded so bad lol

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
I bought my 536HP from HRO. I was ready to return it by the time I got home it sounded so bad lol
I remember, I had one of the first ones, last thing I bought down there at HRO was an Icom R 75 when it first came out and they had it in stock, I had to install the DSP myself, it wasn't in the radio yet. It's a long time now.

rgchristy

Premium Subscriber
Does anyone remember Kass Electronics on Township Line Rd. in Drexel Hill/Upper Darby?

rgchristy

Premium Subscriber
Hi John, I bought two or three Bearcats from them in the early 80's. I can't remember if they special ordered them or not. I think one was a Bearcat 300 and a Thin Scan for my parents.

wa3hdi

Does anyone remember Kass Electronics on Township Line Rd. in Drexel Hill/Upper Darby?
That was my home away from home during my early teens, because I could ride my bike to it.

With my early gifts, I bought my first ham gear from their actual ham department -- Hammarlund HQ-170AC-VHF receiver, Ameco TX-62 AM/CW transmitter w/ VFO, and a Hy-Gain dual-band 10 element beam. It was staffed by two licensed hams -- one living in Newtown Square and one in Overbrook Park, who invited me to visit their homes and shacks.

n2pqq

Premium Subscriber
Is Lafayette Radio Electronics still open in Philadelphia (maybe not)

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
Yeah I'm going to say Lafayette closed their doors over 40 years ago. They were headquartered in Syosset New York on Long Island. I grew up in Philly but did live up in Long Island for about 15 years and then moved back.

Last radio I bought at Lafayette was the Bearcat 101 made by Electra Company and that was in 1974.

I believe Lafayette was defunct in 1981.

Time flies huh.

trap5858

Premium Subscriber
When Gordon who owned AED closed the Wyandotte Road location moved it to his home in the 80's he still had a good selection and offered good advice. Sadly he passed away about 2 years ago.

I am pretty sure the first scanner I purchased was from Edelman's Sporting Goods on Rt. 309 in Montgomeryville. They sold CB radios as well.

I also used to shop but mostly browse at Lafayette Electronics and Radio Shack. There was a radio shop in Trevose that I visited a few times as well. Now we just punch in some numbers into our computers and in a few days our new radios arrive.

Status
Not open for further replies.