Does Anyone Sell Scanners in the Philly Area?

Status
Not open for further replies.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
When Gordon who owned AED closed the Wyandotte Road location moved it to his home in the 80's he still had a good selection and offered good advice. Sadly he passed away about 2 years ago.

I am pretty sure the first scanner I purchased was from Edelman's Sporting Goods on Rt. 309 in Montgomeryville. They sold CB radios as well.

I also used to shop but mostly browse at Lafayette Electronics and Radio Shack. There was a radio shop in Trevose that I visited a few times as well. Now we just punch in some numbers into our computers and in a few days our new radios arrive.
I had forgotten about that Trevose store Herb. It was a lot fun to kill an afternoon going to the radio store. I knew them all and rotated on a regular basis.

It was the only way we could get information and share. We didn't have internet or forums per se. We had magazines. Often the articles didn't get into the Nitty Gritty of problems and quality control.

Those great stores we used to know couldn't exist in the cyber world of today. I miss those shops very much.

Even Rat Shack was good when it only sold Hi Fi, CBs, scanners, communication receivers and accessories. That was before it became Cell Phone Shack:)

bberns22

I had forgotten about that Trevose store Herb. It was a lot fun to kill an afternoon going to the radio store. I knew them all and rotated on a regular basis.

It was the only way we could get information and share. We didn't have internet or forums per se. We had magazines. Often the articles didn't get into the Nitty Gritty of problems and quality control.

Those great stores we used to know couldn't exist in the cyber world of today. I miss those shops very much.

Even Rat Shack was good when it only sold Hi Fi, CBs, scanners, communication receivers and accessories. That was before it became Cell Phone Shack:)
When the dinosaurs ruled....

Attachments

• rs1978.jpg
    rs1978.jpg
    130.7 KB · Views: 27
  • 148.jpg
    148.jpg
    131.4 KB · Views: 26

trap5858

Premium Subscriber
Even Sears and Roebuck sold scanners and some had their own brand on them. Back then I probably did not realize who was building scanners for whom. I bought what I could afford and had the features I was looking for.

hvytrucker

HvyTrucker
Most online stores have everything on backorder so your best bet would be to scower the places like Facebook Markeyplace, Craigslist, Offerup, Letgo... and just keep looking. Something will pop up. Just make sure you test it out before you buy anything so not to be scammed.
Best of luck and be safe!

trap5858

Premium Subscriber
Who needs a store when you can just dial up the internet and order whatever you want- delivered to your door in a matter of days.

But I do admit it was fun to go into a brick and mortar store and touch the machines. The good retailers had the appropriate crystals installed back in the day or the right frequency punched in- a great sales tool!

Status
Not open for further replies.