• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Does anyone still use CB around the Raleigh area ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MadDog15

Does anyone still use CB around the Raleigh area? What channels are you mostly on? What times are you usually on? And what CB radio are you using ?

I have recently acquired a Radio Shack TRC-241 and usually am on channels 6, 14, and 19 and I'm on through out the day but I'm especially active in the evenings. I live in the south Raleigh area and wondering if anyone else uses CB anymore. It be wonderful to get a contact on there, so far i haven't though but I'm not giving up just yet.

jassing

Premium Subscriber
I'm not in your area, but spending a bit on a good base antenna will do a lot to draw in weaker signals...

ForestRunner98

917 SoCal
That antenna does not have the range to get out too far. On a hand held I have I use a female UHF to male BNC to a little wil on top of the car. Makes a huge difference!

BushDoctor

One thing i have found out is truckers get on when there is an accident. At home in my garage one night trying to find new AM radio stations rotated my freq knob on my cb and I found traffic one night 3 fellows chatting at 130AM. I joined in after they were finished rag chewing. Also when I was in that town one afternoon I heard traffic from a town next to them but was unable to get a signal to them from my location in my car i think the mountain(Skyline Drive) was blocking me. I have noticed that before on interstate 64 I am blocked till I am near the top of a mountain then all is well even going down the other side when I am on the side I am trying to contact.

slowmover

It’s worth the trouble to have mobile as well as a base. (And vice-versa). Either can show problems with the other in re reception.

I’ve a pretty decent mobile in the Peterbilt (given difficulties), but while at home this vehicle’s reception can be close to nil with local radios.

I can travel but a short distance to “remedy” that problem.

A base station is affected by geographical location. Then, there’s antenna height. Then, antenna type plus details of installation which will have their effects.

Beg, borrow or steal a mobile radio with a mag-mount antenna to cruise the area. Early morning is best for truck traffic (pre-dawn) as many local driving jobs are in full swing by 0500, then the next few hours by truckers arriving for deliveries

Not all truck traffic will be on AM-19. The locals (or a particular crew) may use a different channel or channels. Trucking tends to be Interstate System-centric. Local bulk haulers have to load as heavily as law allows, thus road choices are limited.

There are bound to be some higher elevations nearest your home which are line-of-sight to the Interstate (or associated heavy load roads: US, then State Highways). Use a road map with air-mile radius circles from your home. Find high points clear of obstruction between home and those major roads.

I have grain haulers working from local elevators who meet this description. Known distance and compass bearing from home. Within 5-7 air miles (farther by road).

In the evenings are guys home from work who like to talk with others on-air. This may be sporadic. Some days better “conditions” mean one can TX/RX, and other days not at all.

Determining what’s available for reception, and at what locations, will help in making a base work better.

Some antenna designs are better for local, and some for great distance. Height is Might. Getting the antenna base to 30’ or more is fairly standard as a recommendation. 50-60’ even better.

Antenna Theory is not for the faint-of-heart. Genuine big boy stuff. But one can use antennas off-shelf — when properly installed (that whole system) — which will enable best local reception (when clues about your area have been established with some footwork).

The point being that there will be one or several compass-bearing “avenues” or “cones” of best local reception to highway artery’s where truck traffic is accessible.

Where to install a base antenna on the property (or how to aim some designs) is the thing.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.