Does it exist?

Status
Not open for further replies.
There may be a perfectly logical reason this couldn't exist, but nothing comes to mind, and I can't find anything like it. :confused:

A Windows based control interface for ease of programming, customizable controls, low manufacturing cost (no gauges or knobs needed), and a hundred other reasons, it seems to me there should be a scanner that's similar to a portable hard drive. Just a black box with a few connectors (antenna, external speaker, exc.), and a USB port to connect to any Windows based computer...

Seems as though this would be a no brainer for the industry. I WANT ONE! :lol:

Does anything like it exist???

WOW! Thanks for finding that!

I was thinking it'd be a cost savings for the manufacture... Clearly not. :eek:

Looks like a VERY nice setup, just outta the price range I was looking at. :(

K9WG

Back in the 1990s there was such a scanner. It interfaced via a RS232 port. Don't remember what brand it was and I believe it only covered VHF/UHF

K9WG

Found it....

RigPix Database - Bearcat/Uniden - CompuScan CP-2100

compuscancp2100.jpg

kruser

Premium Subscriber

Ha! I remember those!
I found a brand new owners manual in my radio file cabinet a year ago for that scanner. I scratched my head wondering what I'd done with it and then it hit me that I never bought the scanner. I could not afford it so I bought the owners manual for some reason.
It ran on an old Apple II Plus or IIe computer under Apple DOS 3.3. They also sold a version for the old IBM machines.

They covered the typical bands between 30 and 512 MHz and included the AM civil airband but missing the 406 - 420 federal band which was typical with Electra's Bearcat scanners back then.

They were made by Electra back before Uniden acquired the Bearcat line.
They were kinda neat and had 4 user settable relay like outputs that one could use for various things.
They still only offered 200 channels in 10 banks of 20. I guess the box had the memory instead of letting the computer do it. They did offer four lines of 30 characters per line for each of the 200 channels. I wish I had one for my collection now.

I was going to scan the manual but I see it can be found in a link at:
RadioPics Database - Bearcat/Uniden - CompuScan CP2100

Last edited:
So many new scanners use pc's to log and enter data, the technology has been around for ages, and the "Winradio" setup is NICE! Shame this type radio hasn't caught on well enough to have a wider variety of more affordable units available. :( I believe a strong market for them exists. Just not that many people want to drop over $800 bucks on something from an off brand company they've never heard of. STEP UP Uniden, GRE, Kenwood, RS! :lol:

THANKS! Did a quick look on Google on the PCR-100, looks like ICOM is all over this (or was), Found info on the 100, 1000, and 1500 right away. Need to do some more digging, but these look like exactly the type of thing I'm interested in!

Thanks again! ;)

Ed_Seedhouse

Premium Subscriber
Try looking for a PRC1000 receiver. There was a software package to go with it.

I have one. EDIT: Oops, I have a PCR-1500, not a 1000. The don't make the 1000 anymore but you can probably pick one up second hand on ebay or at a ham swapfest, or possibly real cheap at a thrift store. The following remarks refer to the 1500, not the 1000.

It is a very good radio and I use it every day, but it is not a true SDR in that most of the processing is still done inside the radio. Yes, you control it from your computer just like a "real" SDR but technically, it isn't one.

Also while it can scan, it cannot scan trunking systems properly nor does it decode P25 digital.

It comes with a lousy antenna and needs at least a good outdoor longwire to really perform well. If the neighbours object then inside a good big attic crawl space would likely work. I have heard a ham talking from near Tokyo running 100 watts on the 17 meter band.

On the other hand it is a nice radio and a lot cheaper than most "real" SDR's. Much easier to use and enjoy than your usual "shortwave" radio.
You haven't lived until you've use a receiver with a good bandscope!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.