• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Does Kenwood Make a Dual Band Part 90 Mobile?

Status
Not open for further replies.

12dbsinad

For a analog only solution with no frills you're better off going with dedicated front mount mobile radio's in the rig. WAY cheaper and will do what you need to do. Even if you had to remote mount all of them it's still way cheaper. Take all that extra money you'd spend on a part 90 dual band radio and put it to other uses to save lives.

wwhitby

Feed Provider
Pictured are the NX-700 and TK-5820 remote heads neatly mounted and taking up little very little console space.

That's exactly why I just upgraded to a TK-7180 and TK-8180 in my soon to be new truck. The remote mount kits and small heads make for an install taking up very little real estate.

At the risk of sounding like a broken record, OP I would also recommend going with two mobile radios and remote mount kits. You'll find this will fit your needs very well.

RodStrong

Not necessarily trying to derail or stray away from Kenwood or the models mentioned, but there are several other analog radios which can be had new for a fraction of the cost of some of the higher tier stuff mentioned in the thread. Just an example, something like an Icom F-5021 or F-6021 can be had for approx $275 each. Not high tier (doesn't sound like that's needed), 45/50 watts (plenty of power for most situations), bulletproof, and the radios are barely bigger than the size of a sandwich.

Again, not trying to steer you away from your original post, but if you're on a tight budget and need good analog radios that don't take up a lot of space, you can do it (installed) for well under a thousand dollars.

On a side note, I have nearly all the models discussed in this thread in service (including the 4 deck VM7000's, APX8500's, etc.), and they are all great and have their place IMO. But it sounds like you need something simple, bulletproof, small, and cheap. Based on that, I'd go for the smaller analog rigs I mentioned or something comparable. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.