Win500: Does not run under Windows 10

Status
Not open for further replies.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
I've been running WINXXX for years mostly under XP. I am specifically trying to get WIN500 to run under Windows 10. The client exe loads but I get "Win500 Scanner Utility has stopped working" messages if I click on either of the other 2 exe files.

I have made sure to have a compatible FTDI driver loaded, and a COM port shows up in Device Manager. I have tried copying working files from my XP system as well as a fresh download from starrsoft. I've also tried running as administrator.

Help!

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
Windows 10

Try uninstalling it and the driver and reboot the computer. Then reinstall, but start by right clicking on the exe setup file and choosing "Run as administrator". After installing, go to the program files (x86) folder and find the program. Right click on the application file. Make sure it is set to "Run as administrator", and check the other settings. You may have to experiment a little, and if you are lucky, it will run..

jrmorrison

WIN500 saves to *.p500 file then can't accept it as input

I have much of what I want all setup and saved it. WIN500 put an extension on of p500. I entered about 15 CONV frequencies. When I attempted to move that to the scanner WIN500 crashed. I had saved just before that to a *.p500 file (the default). I attempted to import from this file and WIN500 doesn't support the .p500 file it had just written. It insists on a p96, p97 or csv file. Is the p500 the same as one of these so I can get around this by renaming the extension. Hope I entered this in right place. New to this forum.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
WIN500 on Windows 10

Try uninstalling it and the driver and reboot the computer.
I assume you mean the FTDI driver. This was already done.

Then reinstall, but start by right clicking on the exe setup file and choosing "Run as administrator".
As mentioned in my original post, I tried this.

After installing, go to the program files (x86) folder and find the program. Right click on the application file.
And tried this.

Make sure it is set to "Run as administrator", and check the other settings. You may have to experiment a little, and if you are lucky, it will run..
And I also downloaded a fresh copy, stored it in a different place, ran it as administrator. Always the same result.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
I have much of what I want all setup and saved it. WIN500 put an extension on of p500. I entered about 15 CONV frequencies. When I attempted to move that to the scanner WIN500 crashed. I had saved just before that to a *.p500 file (the default). I attempted to import from this file and WIN500 doesn't support the .p500 file it had just written. It insists on a p96, p97 or csv file. Is the p500 the same as one of these so I can get around this by renaming the extension. Hope I entered this in right place. New to this forum.
I think you have a different issue and you should start your own thread.

radio3353

My WIN500 program works fine on Windows 10. I do not recall having to do anything special to install it on Win10. I just installed it and opened my existing p.500 file.

Unfortunately, I cannot help with any other suggestions.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
WIN500 under Windows 10

WIN500 is not "installed". However, I do see that it writes to the registry.

I am hoping that either someone who has had this specific problem, or DonS himself, will chime in.

I've now also tried "compatibility modes" using Win8, Win7, WinXP. They all fail the same way. I don't even see a way to start from scratch.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
WIN500 is not "installed". However, I do see that it writes to the registry.

I am hoping that either someone who has had this specific problem, or DonS himself, will chime in.

I've now also tried "compatibility modes" using Win8, Win7, WinXP. They all fail the same way. I don't even see a way to start from scratch.

Are you definitely un-zipping the download before running the .exe file?

I'm running Win10 and just downloaded the software from Starrsoft, un-zipped it, and double clicked the win500.exe file and it ran with no problem at all. I didn't have to use any compatibility modes or "run as administrator" settings.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
Are you definitely un-zipping the download before running the .exe file?
LOL. Yes.
I have this running on an XP system, no issues. It was also running on my prior laptop running Win7. My laptop was migrated to new h/w running Windows10. This means the registry/files/etc were migrated over. I might add this is the only program that failed to make the migration.

After trying several things that didn't work, I downloaded the latest zip, unzipped into a different directory and tried again. No difference. I see a box "loading" which disappears quickly once the error message comes up.

I'm running Win10 and just downloaded the software from Starrsoft, un-zipped it, and double clicked the win500.exe file and it ran with no problem at all. I didn't have to use any compatibility modes or "run as administrator" settings.
My feeling is that the "migration" from Win7 has caused the problem. I see no clear way to "uninstall" or clear the registry or whatever to start from scratch.

Do you have the FTDI driver installed? Cable plugged in? It sounds like not. I'm wondering if some "incompatible" FTDI driver was migrated that is causing the issue.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
Do you have the FTDI driver installed? Cable plugged in? It sounds like not.

Yes, to both.

Cable was recognized immediately and is communicating with scanner and WIN500 on COM4 with no problems.

FTDI Driver Date -- 9/28/2016

FTDI Driver Version -- 2.12.24.0

Status
Not open for further replies.