Does NXDN Work on the SDSxxx Scanners?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kirkco

Premium Subscriber
Is there a know issue with receiving NXDN on the SDS100/SDS200 radios? Trunking does not work, One-Frequency-Trunking does not generally work (especially IDAS) on either of my SDS scanners. I can receive "NXDN" using conventional programming at times (after using SDR+ to ID Channels) but this is not so great as I don't want to hear the control channel very bad and it would be great to see the talk groups. I've been fighting this issue for almost 2 years. it would be nice to know, at least, that this is a know problem and is being worked. And "no" it is not signal strength and probably not my programming skills.

Thank-you

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
You have sadly been mislead. All you have to do is buy the NXDN License from UNIDEN. The other thing you should know is
WHISTLERS SCAN VOICE CHANNELS UNIDENS TRUNK TRACK CONTROL CHANNELS.
1. NXDN Conventional works great.
2. NXDN 1 Frequency Trunking works great and decodes NXDN names sent by the radio.
3.NXDN Trunking works great IF YOU KNOW ALL THE FREQUENCIES AND LCN'S
Proud owner of 2 SDS100's and 1 SDS200
list the system you are trying to receive

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Is there a know issue with receiving NXDN on the SDS100/SDS200 radios? Trunking does not work, One-Frequency-Trunking does not generally work (especially IDAS) on either of my SDS scanners. I can receive "NXDN" using conventional programming at times (after using SDR+ to ID Channels) but this is not so great as I don't want to hear the control channel very bad and it would be great to see the talk groups. I've been fighting this issue for almost 2 years. it would be nice to know, at least, that this is a know problem and is being worked. And "no" it is not signal strength and probably not my programming skills.

Thank-you
I'm having no troubles on NXDN on my SDS100 & SDS200, as well as my three x36HP scanners. I have two NXDN trunking systems that I monitor, and no problems with them either.

Make sure that you have the latest firmware on your SDS scanners. You might want to post your programming file, just in case something unexpected was omitted. (Not doubting your programming, but all of us, at one time or the other, overlook something.)

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
The city I retired from as a newspaper guy started using an NX48 460 megahertz system 5 years ago with two sites. We used to listen to it on laptops mounted in our cars on DSD. When Whistler came out with the TRX one unfortunately not only could I not hear p2 systems but it did not work well on my nx48 system as the unlicensed non trunking radio couldn't handle it, many missed and skipped Transmissions

I ended up getting the NXDN upgrade on my 436, 536 and DSD 100. Amazing results. Didn't miss a Beat. The system has been in the clear for 5 years but always said if it became readily available they would throw the switch and it was and they did. Needless to say I did not get the update on my SDS 200 LOL.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
How did Whistler get pulled into this discussion????
Only momentarily pointed out they don't work on nx48... also mentioned DSD as it is a method of picking up nxdn.

The point of my post was clearly that the Uniden SDS radios do work on nxdn as per the thread.

A little latitude please, thanks. I could have mentioned that Icom can pick up nxdn, maybe even encrypted, with the right programming. Just adding interest to the Post. Sorry for stepping out of line.:) gosh, we all seem to be doing that so much these days, it's hard to keep track, again my apologies.

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator
Only momentarily pointed out they don't work on nx48... also mentioned DSD as it is a method of picking up nxdn.

The point of my post was clearly that the Uniden SDS radios do work on nxdn as per the thread.

A little latitude please, thanks. I could have mentioned that Icom can pick up nxdn, maybe even encrypted, with the right programming. Just adding interest to the Post. Sorry for stepping out of line.:) gosh, we all seem to be doing that so much these days, it's hard to keep track, again my apologies.

I wasn't necessarily referring to your post. Oh yeah, Unication and GE radios don't work on NXDN either. ;)

kirkco

Premium Subscriber
You have sadly been mislead. All you have to do is buy the NXDN License from UNIDEN. The other thing you should know is
2. NXDN 1 Frequency Trunking works great and decodes NXDN names sent by the radio.
Thank you! This gives me hope...maybe another two years will do it. Can anyone confirm success with an NXDN IDAS system?

hlmthree

Enjoying Retirement
Premium Subscriber
I see you are in NW Tenn. I am in Maury County just outside of Williamson County. Just got a new SDS200yesterday. Most LE in Maury is on NXDN. My question is, after purchasing the NXDN upgrade and programming the system, is it necessary, or maybe at least a good idea to experiment with the filters to try and improve reception? I did that with TACN, and it seemed like Wide Invert worked best, just wondering about the NXDN systems. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.