Does rebanding affect the 851-861 mHz band?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lars128

After my BC 235 which I used mostly for rail scanning kicked it, I'm deciding to upgrade equipment. My county uses a Motorola Type II with all frequencies within 851-861 mHz. I'm looking at older/cheaper scanners right now as there is talk of going digital and I don't want to be out of a lot of money if/when things happen.

I understand how the frequency step change will not allow scanners to work. However, is this restricted to the rebanded frequencies or all of them?

A search revealed this: "It is likely that Motorola systems with channels currently between 854-861 MHz will still function in the PRO-97 after rebanding is finished." Is this correct? Do I not have to worry about rebanding?

Last edited:

CDS-INC

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
For the Pro 97, i think there is an upgrade for the firmware so you will not be affected by rebanding, but the pro 97 WILL NOT DO P25,
you need to buy a radioshack pro 96 or a uniden 396 or psr 500 from gre, they run about $500, they are all flashed for rebanding, i think the GRE and 396 will do 700/800mhz

mikey60

After my BC 235 which I used mostly for rail scanning kicked it, I'm deciding to upgrade equipment. My county uses a Motorola Type II with all frequencies within 851-861 mHz. I'm looking at older/cheaper scanners right now as there is talk of going digital and I don't want to be out of a lot of money if/when things happen.

I understand how the frequency step change will not allow scanners to work. However, is this restricted to the rebanded frequencies or all of them?

A search revealed this: "It is likely that Motorola systems with channels currently between 851-861 MHz will still function in the PRO-97 after rebanding is finished." Is this correct? Do I not have to worry about rebanding?

As long as the system you are monitoring does not use frequencies in the 866-869Mhz range, the Pro-97 *SHOULD* be able to track it after rebanding. As previously mentioned, the Pro-97 will not do digital. The Pro-97 is also not user upgradable as far as firmware is concerned.

Mike

lars128

Thanks for the quick replies. So it looks like the 97 will work as well as other older scanners (Pro-93 or 95 for instance). I'm going the cheap route right now as there is way too much talk about P25, OpenSky or another system right now.

lars128

Good catch on that n1das - of course I COULD open my eyes and look at the list of metric prefixes on the wall in front of me, but that would make too much sense.

Anyway, it looks like there is one vote for yes and one for no. Does anyone have any references to for either answer?

RKG

As long as the system you are monitoring does not use frequencies in the 866-869Mhz range, the Pro-97 *SHOULD* be able to track it after rebanding. As previously mentioned, the Pro-97 will not do digital. The Pro-97 is also not user upgradable as far as firmware is concerned.

Mike

Correct.

Rebanding does the following:

a) It deallocates for PW use frequencies above 866 MHz.
b) It creates new splinter channels (i.e., from 851.0250 in 0.0250 steps) channels between 851 and 854.
c) It uses the LCNs formerly assigned for freqs from 862-866 to designate the new splinters.

All other freqs and, more importantly, all other LCNs in both the "old" and "new" offset tables are identical.

As a result, group call channel grant OSWs for systems using only 851-861 channels will be the same after rebanding as they were before; as a consequence, a receiver capable of acting on those OSWs will function after rebanding exactly as it did before.

lars128

I noticed I made a minor mistake in my original post. My county is Motorola Type II w/ frequencies 854-860. There will be no moving of frequencies.

I understand the step change to 12.5 kHz step change associated with frequency movement. What I would like to know is that EXCLUSIVE to 851-854 or will it effect 854-860? Do the additional steps "bump" things off a couple of channels above 854 or is a completely different set of channels (that maintains the 25 kHz steps) used for 864-860 MHz?

I'm very sorry for the confusion and thank everyone for their insight.

Status
Not open for further replies.