Does RS fix the Pro-2004?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
My Pro-2004 went dead on me and I took it to my local RS. The clerk wasn't sure they still fixed it, but sent it to Jacksonville, Fl anyways. Anyone know if they still service it? I know they don't fix the EL display, but that's ok, it looks like the memory chip is dead as it won't do anything more than simply turn on. No display but you can hear the audio amp is working, just doesn't receive anything.
Thanks

trap5858

Premium Subscriber
It is not likely they will be able to repair it as mine went dead a few years after I bought it new and upon return from the service facility they told me the parts were no longer available. That was in the late 80's.

SCPD

QRT
then who does?

Question is, if Radio Shack doesn't repair it, who does? Anyone know who fixes the Pro-2004?

plato

Who repairs the Pro-2004?

G & G Communications in Leroy, N.Y. ( phone # 585-768-8151) might be able to fix it. Gerry fixed mine a few years ago.

SCPD

QRT
Radio Shack IS fixing the Pro-2004

Sent my Pro-2004 to the Jacksonville, FL repair facility and they are fixing the my Pro-2004. Said it was a "power supply and memory chip" and it would cost $104.

So in spite of what I've been told by many, and what I've read on other sites, Radio Shack is in fact fixing the Pro-2004.

thanks for the all the input and responses, but this is the best outcome I could have hoped for.

SCPD

QRT
I guess it could depend on what parts it needs? I have seen some scanners where one person gets told they can't fix it yet another person with the same scanner can get it fixed no problems.

KE4RWS

If Parts Are Available . . .

The PRO-2004 used older thru-hole components (axial lead parts, etc), many of which are likely not available any longer. I worked many years ago for General Dynamics as an electronics tech building the SINCGARS radio for the US Army. We were in the process of switching to SMT parts (Surface Mount Technology) from the older, larger thru-hole style components. At that time the switch was being made to start eliminating thru-hole parts so we could begin utilizing smaller SMT configurations. Since that was a long time ago I would assume by now most, if not all, of those parts are no longer available in thru-hole configuration.

I think the issue will always be if the part(s) required are still available for your PRO-2004. If so, I would assume they'll do it. If not, I know a lot of guys around the country that still work on these older technology boards and even have parts in stock from way back when (although I'm sure over time these older parts will likely be somewhat out of tolerance from when they were manufactured).

Randy

SCPD

QRT
Just got my Pro-2004 back from repair

Man, they fixed my Pro-2004 and it works great now! They'd told it would cost $104 but the bill came to $65. Plus they didn't mess with any of the mods I'd done. (opened up 870mhz and gave it 400 channels) They left the mods alone and fixed the power supply, replaced a diode and fixed a "heated connection". I'm hearing they can't fix the EL back light, but those can be ordered from allelectronics: EL BACKLIGHT, 3" X 5" | AllElectronics.com

My radio was sent to the Radio Shack Jacksonville, Fl facility

Status
Not open for further replies.