Does the Bcd436hp make the original Hp1 obsolete?

Status
Not open for further replies.

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
No. I think when Uniden decided to release new scanners the major complaints about the HP1 was it's size and screen. More people were used to the handheld and base/mobile designs of the 396/996s. The HP1 is still an excellent radio.

Last edited:

lep

Depends on what you mean by 'obsolete'? Do the new scanners make the 996XT/396XT obsolete?
The single thing that the new scanners can do that the HP-1 cannot is receive P-25 Phase 2.
We don't have P-25 Phase 2 in my town, only Phase 1. I have the 996XT/996T,396 etc. and two HP-1 and all these receive all the services in my town at present.

lawman210

Yes i agree but the new 436 does everything the hp1 did and more. So yes it is a good radio but if you have the 436 what would you gain by keeping the hp1?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

lep

Yes i agree but the new 436 everything the hp1 did and more. So yes it is a go radio but if you have the 436 what would you gain by keeping the hp1?

No, the Question is "what would I gain by purchasing a 436?" There are no services in my listening range at present that I could monitor by getting a 436 that I cannot monitor now with out one!

NWI_Scanner_Guy

SCANNING THE AIRWAVES SINCE 1987
Does the Bcd436hp make the original Hp1 obsolete?

Let's hope so.

Let me qualify that statement. If it becomes "obsolete" in the way you're probably referring to the word, then maybe Uniden will drop the price of the extgreme upgrade to anywhere from $0.00 to $25.00 and then I'll finally be able to afford it. :D

:)

Dafe1er

Off in a far away place, far from u.......
only thing obsolete is the update's for the HP.

If you do not need phase 2 ( like most do not) then go with the HP not the newer scanners. Just know that the firmware available for the HP now is all we got! The databases continue to update every Monday and I doubt that will ever change.

I have had my HP for three years and enjoy it to a point.

lep

NWI_Scanner_Guy Let me qualify that statement. [i said:
If[/i] it becomes "obsolete" in the way you're probably referring to the word, then maybe Uniden will drop the price of the extgreme upgrade to anywhere from $0.00 to $25.00 and then I'll finally be able to afford it. :D

:)

But both my HP-1 already have EE. When it first became available UNIDEN allowed we early adopters to purchase the "unlock key" for $49. As you probably the features of EE are actually in the HP-1 but you have to have an 'unlock key' upload into the firmware activate those features. Those features, IMHOP are well worth the $99 that UNIDEN now charges.

Dafe1er

But both my HP-1 already have EE. When it first became available UNIDEN allowed we early adopters to purchase the "unlock key" for $49. As you probably the features of EE are actually in the HP-1 but you have to have an 'unlock key' upload into the firmware activate those features. Those features, IMHOP are well worth the $99 that UNIDEN now charges.

I'm waiting for the bomb to drop on the new units and people needing to pay for the "extreme" features once again. Have yet to hear that the "extreme" features will be included for free on the new units. I learned the first time that it is not really needed for us "regular" listeners.....but it is nice to have 1 scanner with these features. I got mine for the $49 also when it came out. If given the chance for another $50 upgrade I might take the gamble but I would need a working scanner first! :)

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
I'm waiting for the bomb to drop on the new units and people needing to pay for the "extreme" features once again. Have yet to hear that the "extreme" features will be included for free on the new units.

Go back and watch the BCD436HP/BCD536HP Scanner Launch video again.
All of the "extreme" features that were in the HP-1 are included in the price for both new scanners:
eZ1XBkQ.jpg

Even the iOS and Android Apps will be free.
Marshall KE4ZNR

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
only thing obsolete is the update's for the HP.

Just know that the firmware available for the HP now is all we got! The databases continue to update every Monday and I doubt that will ever change.

That may be an important point for some folks...

Can you link to an official announcement by Uniden stating that they are no longer supporting firmware updates for the HP1, or are you just guessing?

Thanks.

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
Before panic starts to set in Uniden is still supporting the HP-1 and will be well into the future.
There is no "official announcement' because the HP-1 is still a scanner in the current line up.
Marshall KE4ZNR

Can you link to an official announcement by Uniden stating that they are no longer supporting firmware updates for the HP1, or are you just guessing?

Thanks.

N1JGE

Premium Subscriber
Unless you need P25 phase 2 I don't see how. I don't have the HP-1 but I did buy the 996xt and I don't see the new scanners doing anything for me that either the HP-1 or 996xt can't.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
Before panic starts to set in Uniden is still supporting the HP-1 and will be well into the future.
There is no "official announcement' because the HP-1 is still a scanner in the current line up.
Marshall KE4ZNR

Thanks Marshall... I thought it might be just a guess on his part.

Dafe1er

Thanks.

Marshall KE4ZNR

Well, yes I am guessing as of now. I am sure it will be hard fact soon.

BUT, given the FACT we have had NOTHING for over a year as to firmware updates and the FACT Uniden has YET to make any kind of statement as to even continuing updates is my reasoning for posting what I did....just common sense.

Can either of you show me the proof that Uniden will in fact be continued updating the HP now, tomorrow or the future with updates? Nope. Maybe they are waiting for the first firmware release for the new units but I really doubt it.

KevinC

Big Dog...celebrating 10 years of abuse!
Super Moderator
Well, yes I am guessing as of now. I am sure it will be hard fact soon.

BUT, given the FACT we have had NOTHING for over a year as to firmware updates and the FACT Uniden has YET to make any kind of statement as to even continuing updates is my reasoning for posting what I did....just common sense.

Can either of you show me the proof that Uniden will in fact be continued updating the HP now, tomorrow or the future with updates? Nope. Maybe they are waiting for the first firmware release for the new units but I really doubt it.

Uniden probably won't officially state whether or not they will continue to update FW on ANY model. But keep in mind they did update the 296/796 for redanding about 7 years after they were out of production.

With that being said, I sure wish they would fix the P25 control channel lockup issue in discovery mode on the HP-1. :wink:

lep

No company AFAK is going to state When they will stop supporting an existing product. But, the point is the HP-1 is still a current product in their line up, see the Uniden home page. It is the first one listed at $499 new or $379 factory refurbished. The second point, as a user of other models I am aware they have continued to provide firmware updates for 5 years after the model was otherwise discontinued.

And, I just 60 days ago returned my BC785D for factory service at their Flat Rate and that is an OLD model for which they can still provide service, have the parts, the know-how, etc. They haven't said "Oh, that is an old model we haven't made in years, throw it away." It now works like it did when new.
You can't do that with a GRE model.
No we don't need to wait at all, why wait when we can Make Up Needless Fears Now. Today about what Uniden might do at some unspecified future date?

Dafe1er

No company AFAK is going to state When they will stop supporting an existing product. But, the point is the HP-1 is still a current product in their line up, see the Uniden home page. It is the first one listed at $499 new or $379 factory refurbished. The second point, as a user of other models I am aware they have continued to provide firmware updates for 5 years after the model was otherwise discontinued.

And, I just 60 days ago returned my BC785D for factory service at their Flat Rate and that is an OLD model for which they can still provide service, have the parts, the know-how, etc. They haven't said "Oh, that is an old model we haven't made in years, throw it away." It now works like it did when new.
You can't do that with a GRE model.
No we don't need to wait at all, why wait when we can Make Up Needless Fears Now. Today about what Uniden might do at some unspecified future date?

Never said the product was stopping. I am glad other models are being updated over five years, but there are things they can fix NOW with the HP and not make us wait five years for.

lawman210

I may buy the 436 for portability so I think the hp1 will go. I do like the touch screen tho on the Hp1 much more convenient then pressing all the buttons

Status
Not open for further replies.