HP-2: Does the homepatrol 2 pickup hex?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zachvfd

I am looking at buying a HP-2 and my surrounding departments use hex as a Motorola talk group. Can you tell me how to program this to the homepatrol 2

my surrounding departments use hex as a Motorola talk group.
The database shows the Hex code too
hex.jpg

Or just enter your Zip Code

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
You'd just have to convert it to the proper decimal value. It's a little further complicated because the "Motorola decimal" isn't exactly the same as the "Uniden decimal".

If your FD is on talkgroup 3BC for example, you convert that to decimal, which would be 956. (You can either convert that online or in a spreadsheet program like Excel, or in the Windows calculator in Programmer mode.) But you're not done yet. That value 956 is what Motorola radios would use to refer to that talkgroup, but Uniden uses a different range of numbers (long story but it's owed to a fairly old mode of trunking and how different activities on the talkgroup were received at that time). You need to multiply the value you got from the hex to decimal conversion by 16 to get the "Uniden decimal" value. So if you have a hex value of 3BC, the value you need to program into your scanner is 15296.

Hope that makes sense - if you want to post your talkgroups, feel free to do so and we can convert them for you.

tvengr

Well Known Member
I am looking at buying a HP-2 and my surrounding departments use hex as a Motorola talk group. Can you tell me how to program this to the homepatrol 2
Using HomePatrol Sentinel, you can set the TGID format to DEC or HEX under the Miscellaneous tab of the Profile Editor.

Last edited:

Zachvfd

You'd just have to convert it to the proper decimal value. It's a little further complicated because the "Motorola decimal" isn't exactly the same as the "Uniden decimal".

If your FD is on talkgroup 3BC for example, you convert that to decimal, which would be 956. (You can either convert that online or in a spreadsheet program like Excel, or in the Windows calculator in Programmer mode.) But you're not done yet. That value 956 is what Motorola radios would use to refer to that talkgroup, but Uniden uses a different range of numbers (long story but it's owed to a fairly old mode of trunking and how different activities on the talkgroup were received at that time). You need to multiply the value you got from the hex to decimal conversion by 16 to get the "Uniden decimal" value. So if you have a hex value of 3BC, the value you need to program into your scanner is 15296.

Hope that makes sense - if you want to post your talkgroups, feel free to do so and we can convert them for you.

Attachments

• 6D8FD31B-CBF3-4163-8C92-F6B6AC1344C7.jpeg
    6D8FD31B-CBF3-4163-8C92-F6B6AC1344C7.jpeg
    49 KB · Views: 41

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
Hi, I actually missed an important point, and I apologize. Newer systems (APCO P25 systems) don't need that "multiply by 16" bit from my first email. Simply converting from hex to decimal is all you need.

In fact, the screenshot of your email has the channels in decimal value just to the left of the hex values. Motorola tends to preface them with an 8, which you can drop. So:

B321 = 45857
B322 = 45858
B323 = 45859

mc48

Premium Subscriber
Another option In Home Patrol Sentinel go to View>Motorola/P25 TGID format and select Dec. or Hex.

tvengr

Well Known Member
Another option In Home Patrol Sentinel go to View>Motorola/P25 TGID format and select Dec. or Hex.

Using HomePatrol Sentinel, you can set the TGID format to DEC or HEX under the Miscellaneous tab of the Profile Editor.

Exactly! Zachvfd, you must have missed my earlier post.

Zachvfd

Alright I got the software is their anyone that can help me program the scanner?

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Start by scanning from the database. In most cases that will cover everything you want to scan, plus more that you don't. Once you have a better idea of what you want, copy the stuff you're intereste in to a favorites list. Don't try to program stuff from scratch. Reinventing the wheel is pointless, and very easy to screw up.

Zachvfd

Ok so I added the things I needed to the favorite list but when I hit write to scanner and everything goes to the scanner nothing happens

tvengr

Well Known Member
In your profile editor, make sure that the proper service types are enabled and that both Download and Monitor are On for the favorites list.

Zachvfd

So now that I’ve programmed everything I have heard every other department speak but the fire department any reason why it may be like this

Status
Not open for further replies.