Does the ISP use both Digital & Analog?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RadioMarkW

I was traveling the inter-states this weekend and listening to the Highway Patrol channels this past weekend. I was receiving everything very well but have a question. Everything was analog. I was receiving analog even on channels assigned for digital. Are they not transmitting in digital yet, or is the info on the State systems incorrect?

Thanks

cubn

Database Admin
The local DPS and LEA repeaters that cover Burlington, IA were still analog last time I was there. The only P25 I've ever heard is on 155.430.

As far as I know, statewide all the DPS and LEA repeaters are still used in analog mode, while some car-car simplex channels are using P25.

Maybe someone in Iowa will have more info.

Signal3and2

Premium Subscriber
I have heard nothing digital as of yet either, in the Cedar Rapids or Cedar Falls areas.

bar422

The car to car channel in Cedar Falls is digital. I also heard the Air and C.I.S. channel are too but don't know for sure.

RadioMarkW

Finally I was traveling from Scott county down to Muscatine. I heard some digital on the District one channels. I don't know if it was car to car or not. Of course I heard digital on both the local police and fire channels for Muscatine as well as BOTH analog & Digital on a Muscatine county Sheriffs channel.

mws72

Premium Subscriber
It has been said in the past in the SCANIOWA yahoogroups by persons supposelly in the know. Repeaters will be in Analog and the simplex can be either analog or digital. If you have a tone capable scanner use 127.3 for the tone squelch on the simplex channels if it not digital capable.

primus6

I live in NE Iowa and most State Patrol ops are Digital,Also DOT..At times though Gunder and Harpers are analog..Dont know why..

LID109

People contiune to post inaccuarate info about this. For the love of god here it is. Statewide...all over...everywhere

DPS Repeaters (DPS base, LEA) - Analog
DOT MAINT Repeaters - P25 Digital (anything big and orange with a "state of Ia on it")
DOT ENFORCEMENT Repeaters - P25 Digital, voice and data
DOT Car to Car - Analog OR Digital

ISP CAR to CAR - P25 Digital
ISP AIR/CIS - Analog
ISP Handhelds - Analog

the only time you'll hear ISP Car to Car Analog is if you're listening to a mobile vehicle repeater and the car is receiving P25 auido then rebroadcasts it over 458.625 to get to the handheld (a VISAR....a non-digital capable radio)

mws72

Premium Subscriber
LID109 said:
People contiune to post inaccuarate info about this. For the love of god here it is. Statewide...all over...everywhere

DPS Repeaters (DPS base, LEA) - Analog
DOT MAINT Repeaters - P25 Digital (anything big and orange with a "state of Ia on it")
DOT ENFORCEMENT Repeaters - P25 Digital, voice and data
DOT Car to Car - Analog OR Digital

ISP CAR to CAR - P25 Digital
ISP AIR/CIS - Analog
ISP Handhelds - Analog

the only time you'll hear ISP Car to Car Analog is if you're listening to a mobile vehicle repeater and the car is receiving P25 auido then rebroadcasts it over 458.625 to get to the handheld (a VISAR....a non-digital capable radio)

Ok Yes this list is most correct but CAR/AIR/CIS can be digital or analog. Like I said earlier I have heard both modes in the last month.

Status
Not open for further replies.