Does the SDS 100 Trunkung scan actually follow control channel data or does it just fastly scan through freauencys?

Mogley

Premium Subscriber
I've been using my SDS 100 or over a year now scanning a trunked radio system. What I notice on detailed mode is it just quickly scanning through frequencies. I don't think it actually follows control channel data like sdr trunk does and what a regular radio would.

Is it true that trunk tracking scanners just go through frequencies really quick to find transmissions instead of my monitoring control channel data?

KevinC

Big Dog...celebrating 10 years of abuse!
Super Moderator
I've been using my SDS 100 or over a year now scanning a trunked radio system. What I notice on detailed mode is it just quickly scanning through frequencies. I don't think it actually follows control channel data like sdr trunk does and what a regular radio would.

Is it true that trunk tracking scanners just go through frequencies really quick to find transmissions instead of my monitoring control channel data?
All Uniden trunked scanners use the CC for VC assignments.

Mogley

Premium Subscriber
All Uniden trunked scanners use the CC for VC assignments.
Why does my scanner show it going through many frequencies when I scan a trunked system them. It's always jumping around when no one's talking?

KevinC

Super Moderator
Why does my scanner show it going through many frequencies when I scan a trunked system them. It's always jumping around when no one's talking?
No idea. Mine doesn’t do that. Are you scanning multiple sites?

Mogley

Premium Subscriber
No idea. Mine doesn’t do that. Are you scanning multiple sites?
I think I realize what it is doing. I got two sites running. There's "countywide simulcast" and "Urban (City) Simulcast"

Mogley

Premium Subscriber
Looks like it is out of range of at least one of the multiple sites you are scanning.
It was. I was just doing an example of how it does this even when I'm in Erie county pa.

RandyKuff

Premium Subscriber
There is a system in my area that uses four frequencys for the control channel and voice... Any one of them can be the control channel
from what I've seen at any given time... From what I observed...
Might be similiar to what you are seeing...

5-City.jpg

Mogley

Premium Subscriber
There is a system in my area that uses four frequencys for the control channel and voice... Any one of them can be the control channel
from what I've seen at any given time... From what I observed...
Might be similiar to what you are seeing...

View attachment 142178
Ok if you wanna take a peek. I was using the Erie county pa's next generation radio system as an example.

Ubbe

When there's no activity on the site you are monitoring it will quickly go through the rest of the sites to try and find one with activity. When it finds TG activity it stores that site and when the conversation ends it will skip to the next system and in the next scan cycle it will start to check that last active site. It's a system to try and let you monitor as much as possible.

/Ubbe

KevinC

Super Moderator
The number of frequencies a site has for either CC or VC has no bearing on this. The scanner will find the CC and lock onto it. It won’t scan through all possible CC’s, unless of course it’s out of range and it’s trying to find a CC.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
@KevinC is correct, of course and as usual.

If you see the scanner going through a bunch of frequencies when it's scanning trunked systems exclusively, that means it can't lock onto a control channel for whatever reason.

RandyKuff

Premium Subscriber
The system I monitor appears to rotate the control periodically...
I see it change from time to time...

donc13

Premium Subscriber

It's going thru the sites. Different sites have different control channel frequencies. Once the talkgroup you're listening to is done, the SDS200 will start to scan any other site you have programed for active talkgroups you have programmed to listen to.