SDS100/SDS200: Does the SDS100 still have build quality issues?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
It's an HP-2 with a software/screen mod (one would think so since it is a newer model) in a different case...smaller screen and vertical design...not that hard to figure out...oh ya and an additional ~300$ added to the price tag.
really and what would make you say that? Considering the parts content of them both is nearly 99% identical..(not including the screen and case of course) and even the processors are of the same family albeit a newer version with a higher amount of memory and the SDS100 does have a co-processor - both operate on the home patrol menu embedded OS system, both are SDR's although the addition of the parallel IQ for co-processor is utilized in the SDS100.
The SDS series was the first Software Defined Radio (SDR) scanners released, period. Uniden's own well documented literature spells this out very clearly. The HP-2 is based on the HP-1's design, adding TDMA capability for P25 Phase II decoding. The BCD436HP and BCD536HP are more closely related to the HP-1/2 than the SDS series are.

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator
The SDS series was the first Software Defined Radio (SDR) scanners released, period. Uniden's own well documented literature spells this out very clearly. The HP-2 is based on the HP-1's design, adding TDMA capability for P25 Phase II decoding. The BCD436HP and BCD536HP are more closely related to the HP-1/2 than the SDS series are.

Stop clouding the issue with facts.

wowologist

Certifiable
Odd...I never knew the HP-2 was SDR based. Can you provide any references to that please?

well to begin with "SDR" is a marketing term these days more then anything.

Generally speaking any radio we use these days is an SDR. And that's not for specialized users or better this, better that...it's about physical parts cost vs. programming it into "software'. When physical parts are replaced by..well..math.(software)..its an SDR.

SDR:SDR-.jpeg

NOT SDR:NOT SDR.jpg

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator

Generally speaking any radio we use these days is an SDR. And that's not for specialized users or better this, better that...it's about physical parts cost vs. programming it into "software'. When physical parts are replaced by..well..math.(software)..its an SDR.

SDR:View attachment 94025

NOT SDR:View attachment 94026

Thanks for the reference that the HP-2 is SDR based. :rolleyes:

wowologist

Certifiable
Thanks for the reference that the HP-2 is SDR based. :rolleyes:

Sure. I can see though that your a hard one to "get those facts" into...pretty hard to squeeze one past you....I'm glad you enjoy paying $$ for something that the company literally programmed into a processor instead of integrating the physical parts cost structure into it ...thereby enjoying the cost savings...I am so glad they passed that cost savings onto YOU...the purchaser....right? ...because that's what they did RIGHT?

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator
Sure. I can see though that your a hard one to "get those facts" into...pretty hard to squeeze one past you....I'm glad you enjoy paying $$ for something that the company literally programmed into a processor instead of integrating the physical parts cost structure into it ...thereby enjoying the cost savings...I am so glad they passed that cost savings onto YOU...the purchaser....right? ...because that's what they did RIGHT?

Yes, it is hard to "squeeze one past" me. And I guess I'll have to take your 2 pictures as proof the HP-2 is SDR based, so thank you.

I really got put in my place here, wow! (pun intended)

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber

SDR:View attachment 94025

NOT SDR:View attachment 94026
You can't argue that being an SDR Radio is a marketing tool. What makes the SDS 100 and 200 the only software-defined radios is the SDR chip that they have. The long in the tooth hp-2 does not have one of them.

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
Horse hockey. I have owned the BCD536HP and both of the SDS series. In my experience, the SDS series works just as well as the BCD536 for analog, NXDN, and DMR. Obviously the SDS series wins hands down for P25 simulcast.
Unlike you and I which post from facts as a owner he does not own one.
If he would care to buy a plane ticket fly over here drive to my house I would show him facts with live scanners.

TedTobias

That’s true you have to own to love the correct extensive use of technology. But then again I always have been a fan of fun toys.

Thanks
Theodore

sfb88

I am not sure the own to know argument is fully valid. As an example, I would say that it is likely that the chief mechanic at a Ferrari dealership doesn't own one but would you say he doesn't know about Ferraris? The real question would be has he used and worked with them.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
I am not sure the own to know argument is fully valid. As an example, I would say that it is likely that the chief mechanic at a Ferrari dealership doesn't own one but would you say he doesn't know about Ferraris? The real question would be has he used and worked with them.
Really?

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
Unlike you and I which post from facts as a owner he does not own one.
If he would care to buy a plane ticket fly over here drive to my house I would show him facts with live scanners.
As an experienced owner and user I agree with you budd.
Of course the chief mechanic doesn't own a Ferrari, he drives a demo or is assigned one for free oh, he wouldn't be caught dead in anything--but. He can rip that car down to nuts and bolts and put it back together again by himself with a little help with the pulleys lifting.
Great answer!

spywiz

Premium Subscriber
A couple of questions. Have these quality issues been resolved with current production? Second, I have read some forum posts around the Internet that says the SDS100 has been discontinued; is that possibly correct?
I could not be happier with the technology that is in the SDS100!! Having said that, I have had 2, ordered from Ham Radio Outlet. The first one worked for less than a week. It would only work while being plugged into the USB/Charge plug. Ham Radio Outlet exchanged it for another "new" one. Got it in two days. The 2nd "new" one lasted around 10 days and developed the "cold solder joint" issue, which makes the radio useless!! In the short time that I was able to use the two radios, I became "very" proficient with all of its features. I studied youtube videos so much before ever ordering one that I nearly mastered it before it arrived. The technology of this radio is quite great. The things that this radio is capable of, at this price range is incredible! However, if Uniden can't get their **** together in (lack of) Quality Control in their manufacturing, I, nor anyone else should give this radio an "absolute" thumbs up! The wonderful technology and great bells and whistles that it has is of no use if the lack of) quality of their manufacturing keeps one from using the radio without having to send it back to Uniden for warranty service within a week to 10 days from original purchase!! I know there are those on here that have had NO problems with their SDS100. For that, they are "lucky"!! Mine was great too.........until it wasn't! For that reason alone, I would NOT recommend ANYONE paying $600-$700 for a radio that is a roll of the dice whether it will have to be exchanged or worse go to the "black hole" of Uniden Warranty Service in a week, 10 days, 6 months, etc. Even @jonwienke sent his to Uniden for warranty service, just to get it back and have it fail again from the same "cold solder joint" issue. To those that have them and they work, that's great. To those of us (and there are many) that have them and they don't work, it SUCKS!!!
In closing I must restate, until Uniden gets its terrible Quality Control in manufacturing corrected, I would strongly suggest NOT buying the SDS100!!! My suggestion is that everyone on this forum and other forums in this hobby boycott the purchase of this scanner and send a strong message to Uniden that "we" deserve better quality for $600-700 dollars! But until the "fanboys" stop giving them a pass for their sorry manufacturing, that will not happen. It is perfectly okay to like a company and love their products, but when they fail to deliver a "quality" product that they ask us to pay a high $ for, they should be held accountable for this!! Uniden could show some good faith by replacing the position that was held by the great Customer Representative PAUL OPITZ! Until they fill that position with another "quality" Customer Representative that can be a liaison between the Company that seems to only care about sales, and the customers that make those sales numbers exist, then things are not going to change. Until they fill that position, there is nobody to speak for us. So as a said, make your voices be heard on this forum and every other Uniden forum you are a part of. And STOP advising people to buy a product that should not be sold until their manufacturing process and Quality Control has been corrected. Hell, I talked to Uniden Warranty Service the other day, and they won't even acknowledge that there "is" a manufacturing problem. So we "must" do something to make them hear us. Continuing to buy their "inferior" product is NOT the way to make them change. DO NOT BUY A UNIDEN SDS100 until Uniden acknowledges their QC problem and fixes it. My rant has "finally' come to an end. But everything that I stated is the absolute truth. I welcome any other comments, but if its only to say that "you" have had no problems with "your" sds100, that really does not help someone that is thinking of buying one at this time. The real voices that need to be heard are the guys/gals that have had a bad experience. I love my sds100! I would love it a lot more if it worked!

Last edited:

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
That has an element of validity, but someone who owns and uses something daily is going to have a fairly good idea of how well it works. And in many cases, the mechanic's job is somewhat contingent on not generating too much bad PR for his employer.

My posting history makes it pretty clear that I've been a proponent of Uniden's products for years, but as an independent third party I can call out their failures when necessary without having to worry about economic repercussions. My take is that while most Uniden purchasers have good experiences, there are clearly instances where Uniden has dropped the ball. The solder joint thing is clearly one example.

I'm not going to go so far as to say Uniden is a horrible company with excrement products, but they really need to do a repair campaign for J104 solder joints like they did with the clock and display issues in the x36 models. I would be happy to discuss my findings regarding the issue with @UnidenSupport if that would be helpful. To me, it's not about brand bashing, but rather motivating people and companies to do what needs to be done to offer good service and product experiences for the customer.

spywiz

Premium Subscriber
That has an element of validity, but someone who owns and uses something daily is going to have a fairly good idea of how well it works. And in many cases, the mechanic's job is somewhat contingent on not generating too much bad PR for his employer.

My posting history makes it pretty clear that I've been a proponent of Uniden's products for years, but as an independent third party I can call out their failures when necessary without having to worry about economic repercussions. My take is that while most Uniden purchasers have good experiences, there are clearly instances where Uniden has dropped the ball. The solder joint thing is clearly one example.

I'm not going to go so far as to say Uniden is a horrible company with excrement products, but they really need to do a repair campaign for J104 solder joints like they did with the clock and display issues in the x36 models. I would be happy to discuss my findings regarding the issue with @UnidenSupport if that would be helpful. To me, it's not about brand bashing, but rather motivating people and companies to do what needs to be done to offer good service and product experiences for the customer.
Very well spoken @jonwienke .

TedTobias

Well said Spywiz. I don't have any problems with my2 SDS or my 996 doesn't mean they wont blow up next week, I not trying to start a war but I'm very happy with Uniden products. they have small nitty picky things go wrong that Uniden does make right. These are a very high profit for these companies when every you have a niche product that no one else sells or makes. I recall the Uniden 210 xl in the 70s they were trash cans people could not buy enough of them. ether you got a good one or bad one.
I did have a security system from Uniden a few years ago that just was not right purchased directly from them they refunded me and where very sorry. The only company that I know of today APPLE when you contact them somebody from the USA answers the phone and will spend hours on the phone with you at know charge. Well good luck with your quest wish you all the best.

Thanks Theodore

Status
Not open for further replies.