SDS100/SDS200: Does the SDS100 still have build quality issues?

Status
Not open for further replies.

beischel

A couple of questions. Have these quality issues been resolved with current production? Second, I have read some forum posts around the Internet that says the SDS100 has been discontinued; is that possibly correct?

whooey

A couple of questions. Have these quality issues been resolved with current production? Second, I have read some forum posts around the Internet that says the SDS100 has been discontinued; is that possibly correct?
I hope not, best hand held scanner I've ever had the pleasure of using. Just wish it ran off 4xAA batts like my ole PSR 500.

torontokris

Premium Subscriber

Sounds like fake hysteria. Why would they discontinue their top of the line handheld that is selling pretty well right now released in 2018... and what keep producing the 435/536 the older models from 2014?

TedTobias

Yes they do have growing pains but your talking about the most popular forward thinking scanner ever designed.
They have stuff that is very minor for rhe Technology and ease-of-use that they hold. Uniden or I should say Paul was a very forward thinking guy who set out to design rhe best radio every and he did with that comes a few bugs very minor. I would like to see it discontinued to make room for newer better Technology and the size of unification G4 G5.
Just so you know you will be thrilled.

Thank You have a charming Day,
Theodore

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
All they need to do is address a manufacturing flaw and they have a very solid scanner for years to come.
You have people that have not spent the time to learn to use all the features to get the best reception and blame the scanner. Those of us that have tested the SDS on the same antenna system at the same time with the same programming will tell you it is just as good receiver as any BCD scanner built as I have test SDS200, BCD536, BCD996P2, BC15X, BC785D, and TRX-2 on my 20 plus stridsberg antenna system.

Ubbe

Link to an actual performance test of a SDS100, which shows that a SDS scanner have nothing like the performance of a BCD scanner. Not a subjective listening comparison but a professional communication analyzer used to test a SDS100 scanner by a professsional radio tech with 35 years of experiance. SDS scanners has receivers with I/Q outputs that makes it suitable to decode simulcast systems but that are the only positive point it has over BCD scanners.

SDS100 test

/Ubbe

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
You really have to master the radio. There are many variables that will give you better results than the next person.

I'm not sure every single SDS owner has the Knack or ability or even the interest and the time to fine tune and really get to know the steps that can be taken to get optimal results from the radio.

I still use a 536 next to my SDS radios. I like the performance of 150 + 450 on the SDS 100 and 200. Sharp and crisp as opposed to noisy and muddy on the 536.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
SDS scanners has receivers with I/Q outputs that makes it suitable to decode simulcast systems but that are the only positive point it has over BCD scanners.

SDS100 test

/Ubbe
I kinda think that was Uniden's intent. Simulcast caused enough problems that that was Priority #1 in the development. Stuff like the color display, proprietary battery, etc. are icing on the cake.

wowologist

Certifiable
Yes they do have growing pains but your talking about the most popular forward thinking scanner ever designed.
They have stuff that is very minor for rhe Technology and ease-of-use that they hold. Uniden or I should say Paul was a very forward thinking guy who set out to design rhe best radio every and he did with that comes a few bugs very minor. I would like to see it discontinued to make room for newer better Technology and the size of unification G4 G5.
Just so you know you will be thrilled.

Thank You have a charming Day,
Theodore

It's an HP-2 with a software/screen mod (one would think so since it is a newer model) in a different case...smaller screen and vertical design...not that hard to figure out...oh ya and an additional ~300$ added to the price tag.

TedTobias

Both great Technology forward units. What I like is for the most part is the reliability. Just for the heck of it I pulled out my Pro 106 blew the dust off and did a side by side with the SDS 100. At the time the Pro 106 was the best non better or more capable. As time rolls forward tech changes. I also had the 106 on 24/7 never a problem. And sounded great on analog and digital but now sounds harsh Whistler has a great unit to improve with fixing the simulcast problems.
It would dump the the SDS. I think most company’s may not want to dump big money into research and development into a fading hobby due to our age and encryption. Just another fun any exciting hobby fading away.
Jacks anyone?
Thanks so much,

mc48

Premium Subscriber
It's an HP-2 with a software/screen mod (one would think so since it is a newer model) in a different case...smaller screen and vertical design...not that hard to figure out...oh ya and an additional ~300$ added to the price tag.
I hate to tell you but they are nothing like an HP2. The HP2's performance is not even close to that of a SDS100,200. My HP2 is only able to decode
50-60 percent of my local Harris P25P2 system (this is with making manual setting adjustments), while the SDS radios decode it perfectly without any filters or adjustment.

KevinC

Big Dog...celebrating 10 years of abuse!
Super Moderator

That would be an incorrect statement.

TedTobias

I have a SDS 100 and 200 I could not be happier with the capabilities of each one! I’m so happy with the post that where placed on you tube and Radio Reference all a stunning wealth of information on how to. I have learned so much of the capabilities of both of these radios. The people on this form have been beyond wonderful!

Thanks So Much!
Theodore

wowologist

Certifiable
That would be an incorrect statement.

really and what would make you say that? Considering the parts content of them both is nearly 99% identical..(not including the screen and case of course) and even the processors are of the same family albeit a newer version with a higher amount of memory and the SDS100 does have a co-processor - both operate on the home patrol menu embedded OS system, both are SDR's although the addition of the parallel IQ for co-processor is utilized in the SDS100.

KevinC

Big Dog...celebrating 10 years of abuse!
Super Moderator
really and what would make you say that? Considering the parts content of them both is nearly 99% identical..(not including the screen and case of course) and even the processors are of the same family albeit a newer version with a higher amount of memory and the SDS100 does have a co-processor - both operate on the home patrol menu embedded OS system, both are SDR's although the addition of the parallel IQ for co-processor is utilized in the SDS100.

Odd...I never knew the HP-2 was SDR based. Can you provide any references to that please?

R0am3r

Salt Water Conch
Premium Subscriber
Link to an actual performance test of a SDS100, which shows that a SDS scanner have nothing like the performance of a BCD scanner. Not a subjective listening comparison but a professional communication analyzer used to test a SDS100 scanner by a professsional radio tech with 35 years of experiance. SDS scanners has receivers with I/Q outputs that makes it suitable to decode simulcast systems but that are the only positive point it has over BCD scanners.

SDS100 test

/Ubbe

Horse hockey. I have owned the BCD536HP and both of the SDS series. In my experience, the SDS series works just as well as the BCD536 for analog, NXDN, and DMR. Obviously the SDS series wins hands down for P25 simulcast.

Status
Not open for further replies.