Pro-651: Does the WS 1040 programming cable work on the Pro-651?

Bama71j

Premium Subscriber
I lost my old programming cable and bought a GRE programming cable and it does not work on my Pro-651. I know the WS1040 is supposed to be the same exact scanner, but does anyone know for sure that the Whistler programming cable will work with the Pro-651?

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
I lost my old programming cable and bought a GRE programming cable and it does not work on my Pro-651. I know the WS1040 is supposed to be the same exact scanner, but does anyone know for sure that the Whistler programming cable will work with the Pro-651?
Where did you purchase a GRE programming cable? Is it an Ebay knock-off? I have several genuine GRE cables, and they work with all versions of those scanners. (Pro-651, 652, 106, 197 - WS1040, 1065, and the GRE PSR 500 and 600. When you look in the Windows Device Manager, does it show a valid COM port for the cable under the heading "Ports (COM and LPT)" when the cable is connected to the computer?

Are you sure you are connecting the cable to the PC/IF port on the scanner and not the headphone jack? If the cable you purchased has a stereo to mono adaptor on the end of it, don't use it with those scanners.

Bama71j

Premium Subscriber
Definitely connecting to the PC/IF port, lol. The GRE cable I have has a part number of: P/N 30-3290. I did purchase it on eBay, so there's a possibility I have a lemon.

Device manager shows USB Serial Port (COM4)

Bama71j

Premium Subscriber
Well, you were right. I selected the wrong COM port.

I reconnected again and it started working. I am out of practice. It was COM4. Weird part is, I went through every COM port I had earlier and it did not Download in ARC500. It worked perfectly just now.

Thanks for the Device Manager COM# reminder.