TRX-1: Does TRX-1 have good search capabilities

Status
Not open for further replies.

neilbell

From reading the (poorly written) manual it seems their are several types of searching available. The question is do they have a "search AND store" facility or does it just stop on getting a hit and you have to do a store manually?

I read that the 436 Uniden does have a search-store feature.

Neil Bell

Wackyracer

Premium Subscriber
from Marks easier to read manuals "To Store a frequency (to the Default Scan List) press Menu when the frequency is displayed.
Use ▼ or ▲ to scroll to 'Store Channel'."

pb_lonny

That is true in Discovery mode only.
Usually I prefer the Search mode with the Recording activated, because in Discovery mode
no Close Call Capture mode can be active.

I am glad I am not the only one who has found this.

troymail

Silent Key
There are a variety of other options for search that may make more sense. The primary is the ability to not only store a random frequency or talkgroup but to record it and play it back later. The recordings will capture not only the frequency and/or talkgroup but also the audio to help identify it.

Storing a frequency or talkgroup without capturing the audio, etc. that goes with it isn't really of much value. Depending on how your search is configured, things the radio stops on could be clear voice, paging, encryption, trunk system control channels, or even just static.

One of the great things about the Whistlers is that you can selectively record. That is - for example, if you have a busy trunk system, you can set the wildcard to record only the wildcard hits and not the rest of the known activity (unless you want to).

Set your searches to record to the SD card and then analyze the results of the recordings.

Machria

Premium Subscriber
There are a variety of other options for search that may make more sense. The primary is the ability to not only store a random frequency or talkgroup but to record it and play it back later. The recordings will capture not only the frequency and/or talkgroup but also the audio to help identify it.

Storing a frequency or talkgroup without capturing the audio, etc. that goes with it isn't really of much value. Depending on how your search is configured, things the radio stops on could be clear voice, paging, encryption, trunk system control channels, or even just static.

One of the great things about the Whistlers is that you can selectively record. That is - for example, if you have a busy trunk system, you can set the wildcard to record only the wildcard hits and not the rest of the known activity (unless you want to).

Set your searches to record to the SD card and then analyze the results of the recordings.

That's a really smart way to use the search (and record), I hadn't thought of that before, thanks. I don't use the search feature very often, I should probably play around with it more.

This got me thinking, can your record Close Call, I can't remember...?

Machria

Premium Subscriber
I really wish they would implement #10 on my wish list (sent to whistler a while ago):

10. Limit Search expansion: Allow for saving 10 or 20 different Limit Search “objects” each with its own upper/lower limit, step size, mode and delay time. These objects would then be able to be added to Scanlists and “scanned”. Currently there is only one “Limit search”, and the step size and/or mode is not customizable.

Status
Not open for further replies.