does your PSR-800 go Deaf?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nu4c

Lately my PSR-800 appears to go "deaf" after an hour or so of scanning an EDACS system. Maybe it is just a lack of "traffic" but when I experience a long quiet period I shut the radio off and restart it, Almost always within just a few minutes I hear "traffic" and then after a 1/2 hr to an hour it appears to go "deaf" again. Is any one else having this issue?
Paul

safetyobc

I do not have that issue. Mine works great. I use it mobile and will go through areas where reception is not the greatest, but that isn't the scanners fault. Usually the same reception that is spotty on the scanner, is also spotty on my mobile radio.

mikey60

Is this a multi site EDACS system or single site? If it's multi site, it may be locking onto a tower that's not carrying the transmissions you want to hear...

Mike

NWI_Scanner_Guy

SCANNING THE AIRWAVES SINCE 1987
Lately my PSR-800 appears to go "deaf" after an hour or so of scanning an EDACS system. Maybe it is just a lack of "traffic" but when I experience a long quiet period I shut the radio off and restart it, Almost always within just a few minutes I hear "traffic" and then after a 1/2 hr to an hour it appears to go "deaf" again. Is any one else having this issue?
Paul

I don't monitor many EDACS systems in my area so I can't speak to that system, but as to others systems; I have never had any "deaf" periods except for when there is little to no traffic. My 800 seems to "gobble up" (no Thanksgiving pun intended.....well okay, it was...LOL) signals. It can pick up stuff the pro-106 I had could not and my bcd396xt can't hear.

KB0ZBQ

My 800 seems to go death as well, but I'm not sure what channels I loose. I've found two things that typically cause it.
1. Leaving it plugged into my car for power when I shut the car off (probably the same as unplugging it from the wall). Shutting off the scanner first and unplugging the radio seems to fix it.
2. Trying to add CB frequencies to the scanner (from within the GRE software)

In both cases, it looks like I can still receive conventional channels, but I loose the digital trunked channels. It's really frustrating because there's no way to tell if it's just quiet or if your radios gone deaf.

The only thing I've found to fix it is to select the "Update from Lib", which typically helps. Does this sound like the issue you've been having at all? I think I'm gonna call/email GRE next week.

nu4c

Mikey60 and others
Looks like it was as you said. This is a multi site EDACS System. I deleted it and then restored the system with just the frequencies for the closest Site to me. Radio appears to be scanning now.
Paul

Status
Not open for further replies.