Domestic drones: Coming soon over a home near you?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Law enforcement, the FBI in particular has been using surveillance aircraft for so many years, stealth really isn't an issue when a well equipped spotter plane is so high up nobody on the ground even knows it's there. I don't see UAVs catching on anytime soon considering enormous operating costs, that's why those used so far have been owned and operated by the military in cooperation with federal and other authorities. The article is just a bit misleading, the FBI and DEA doesn't own them, they just "borrow" them.

The only thing new here is pilots and camera operators stay on the ground and play with a new video game. The funny part is once again the UCLA was caught napping, Big Brother has been watching you from his eye in the sky before many of you were born.

zz0468

QRT
...Big Brother has been watching you from his eye in the sky before many of you were born.
I was aware of at least one Law Enforcement agency operating Cessna 180's from 12,000' with the observer using gyro stabilized binoculars back in the 80's. That was as stealthy as you needed to be here in the States.

Last edited:

rescue161

KE4FHH
Database Admin
Up here in space
I'm looking down on you.
My LASERs trace
Everything you do

You think you've private lives
Think nothing of the kind
There is no true escape
I'm watching all the time

I'm made of metal
My circuits gleam
I am perpetual
I keep the country clean

I'm elected electric spy
I'm protected electric eye!

Always in focus
You can't feel my stare
I zoom into you
But you don't know I'm there

I'm taking pride in probing all your secret moves
My tearless retina takes pictures that can prove

I'm made of metal
My circuits gleam
I am perpetual
I keep the country clean

I'm elected electric spy

ff-medic

Banned
The Appalachians - Next to the tent and campfire.
Interesting to see what the rules will be on Drone use. Seems like the ultimate for Border, SAR and Coast Guard use.

U.S. News - Domestic drones: Coming soon over a home near you?
No different than someone a mile away, with a camera and a zoom lense.

If.....and IF , I have not misunderstood press and media releases, as well as court decisions = THERE is no reasonable expectation of privacy while in public.

One court case, is the good ole GPS. AS I understand, there is no warrant needed to place a GPS tracker on someones vehicle. I disagree. Cause, someone does not need to be near your vehicle, actually seing or observing you, to know where you are.

*** One could loose track of someones location, or not actually be observing them...and use a computer or cell phone to find someones location whom has been "Taggged" with a GPS, using a GPS to reaquire them after surveilance has been lost. ***

My argument, is that if there is no expectation of privacy while I am in public, then you need to be actually observing me physically..... and not on your computer or cell phone a few miles away, using electronic means to follow me, track my movement, recording my locations by electronic means. If you want to document my locations, do it on pen and and paper, from actual observations. OTHERWISE, Get a warrant.

A GPS tracker on someones vehicle, is a way to track someone, saving time, manpower and expenses. If I am so valuable, as to be put under " Surveillance" , to be followed...and in some cases , harassed ( private gumshoes...ect ) - and you want to follow me electronically...Get a warrant. And to get a warrant, you need to document factual reasons, why I need to be followed. Electronic surveillance of phones and computers = a warrant is needed. Why not for GPS ( radio signals ).

Yes.....yes..yes. I know. Parking outside someones residence, and observing them, following them after they leave the driveway, store parking lot, school, work...ect..ect - can be monotonous, and yes, one is more than likely to get frustrated with one following them and observing them from across the street. But, AGAIN, as the ruling says = "No expectation of privacy while in public." So, that means you do not put a GPS on my vehicle, go home at 9:00 PM, and use it to "Reaquire me" on your cell or personal computer at 10:00 am ( or whenever your convenience - If I am worthy of surveillance, surveilance is 24/7 ; and not at your convenience ) while I am grocery shopping, the gym, family members house.

Example. I am at a family members house. You ( the person surveying ) do not set 10 miles away and say to yourself " NO, I wont go there."

I don't go to the barber shop, you ( the person surveying ), say "NO, I won't go there."

You ( person surveying ) check your computer, or cell and see I am at the mall, then up and say "Yep, I need to follow them." Then you ( they person surveying ) drives to the mall to "reaquire" me. Again, surveillance is 24/7, not at ones convenience. At "Ones convenience" , could that not leave " Holes in the case." " Discrepancys in the case." and ect...ect..ect.

Few Judges put themselves in the publics position when making a ruling. How many Judges would like it if a GPS was attached to their vehicle? Especially for personal reasons. HOW would a Judge react to find out a lone person, or private detective put a GPS on their vehicle? Hmmmmm, bet it would get interesting. Even local level judges play politics, and make ruiings in favor of local politics, benefit local governments. Judges are not always infallable, so that mean that they are not always right, and that they are not perfect.

FF - Medic !!!

ff-medic

Banned
The Appalachians - Next to the tent and campfire.
Up here in space
I'm looking down on you.
My LASERs trace
Everything you do

You think you've private lives
Think nothing of the kind
There is no true escape
I'm watching all the time

I'm made of metal
My circuits gleam
I am perpetual
I keep the country clean

I'm elected electric spy

Always in focus
You can't feel my stare
I zoom into you
But you don't know I'm there

I'm taking pride in probing all your secret moves
My tearless retina takes pictures that can prove

I'm made of metal
My circuits gleam
I am perpetual
I keep the country clean

I'm elected electric spy
Great Post. Like it.

My favorite line is.. " They can't do that." Another one is " They can't do that, its illegal." Even lawyers themselves get caught up in what others can and cannot do.

Well, speeding, murder, child beatings / torture, embezzlement, robberys, poisionings, theft, skipping the parking meter.... and...AND espionage, along with a host of other crimes happen every day, AND they are illegal.

You can electronic surveil anyone by electronic means ( Computers, Phone, Wireless device ) and it is illegal without a warrant. It is only punishable...If one gets caught. One has to ask themselves - Are they capable? Do they have the means and resources? If so.....then yes it can happen. If they keep it to themselves, then more than likely they will not have to pay the judical consequences, BUT if word slips, then heads roll. Oops huh. Well, that is a big oops.

The CIA has not authority by law to perform intelligence gathering operations on U.S soil, OTHER than by law. How many of you sit back and say, It does not happen.

How many court cases have been fought with "inside knowledge" , and if it came out in court, how particularily that knowledge was obtained ; the case would have been thrown out? Example = One uses electronic means ( Illegal ) and finds out that an individual uses cocaine inside their house, and that information was not known previously, OR EVEN suspected before. But, the person surveying ( again, illegally ) finds out that they are going to pick up some a personal quanity of cocaine from a source at another location the next day. The person surveying notifiys Law Enforement on a anonymous tip, and L/E sets up surveillance, and that person is arrested. It comes out in court, that one of the people in the case is arrested for cocaine posession, and the god awlful - always indicted for - Conspiracy. It oculd turn a court case around, Child custody battle, Divorce, or a tort case of some sort huh.

I like it when people say " They can't do that." or again... " They can't do that...it's illegal." Again, even lawyers themselves are quote / unquote = " Guilty."

FF - Medic !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.