• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Done with the XTS3000

Status
Not open for further replies.

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
I'm done.

Bought a 403-470 XTS3K and it has some kind of priority sampling type problem during scan mode.
Bought a 136-174 XTS 3K and it refuses to receive during scan, only on manual channel select.
I had a local certified Moto dealer check them both out and he cannot figure out either problem.
I'm stuck with two model 3 paper weights. Well, on to something else. I just wanted some decent reliable commercial radios for local monitoring. 😏 With this kind of luck, I'm afraid of buying something newer like an XPR7550.

Manny

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Was never a fan of the XTS 3000. They were basically ASTRO Sabers in a new housing when they were introduced over 20 years ago. At this point, it's ancient technology.

If you want a good Motorola HT that does P25, look at the XTS 5000 or XTS 2500 series. The 5000 was the top of the line model in the ASTRO 25 series, but the 2500 is certainly no slouch. Prices have come down considerably on eBay in recent years. Just beware that you will need ASTRO 25 CPS to program either of those models, which is different than the ASTRO Saber/XTS 3000 CPS you're using now.

And of course you could look at the XPR series if you're more interested in DMR/TRBO than you are P25.

But since you already own the pair of 3000's, have you ever posted your codeplugs here for people to look at? You'd be surprised how many simple things that are giving you grief can be discovered with a fresh pair of eyes looking at the programming. Don't assume that the shop you brought them to is the last word on the issues you're having.

clbsquared

I second letting someone on here peruse your current codeplugs. The more eyes the better. I'm sure it's something so simple, that most would just overlook it and look for a deeper issue.

Sent from my HTC One A9 using Tapatalk

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
its all in the scan settings... nothing wrong with the radios
I thought so too, and so did the Moto tech at the shop. The scan settings are set correctly. The radio that has the priority sampling type issue receives well if parked on a channel. Anything associated with priority is unchecked. The radio stops on a signal, gives a tick,tick,tick sampling type noise, then unsqueches with a loud obvious squelch tail on all channels. If parked on a channel, all is well and it unsquelches nice and tight. The shop tuned the master squelch to factory specs. Additional per personality squelch tightening values are all set to 0.

On the other problem child, when in scan, the radio will stop on some channels and refuses to stop on others even though all channel settings are the same and signals are strong.

Was never a fan of the XTS 3000. They were basically ASTRO Sabers in a new housing when they were introduced over 20 years ago. At this point, it's ancient technology.

If you want a good Motorola HT that does P25, look at the XTS 5000 or XTS 2500 series. The 5000 was the top of the line model in the ASTRO 25 series, but the 2500 is certainly no slouch. Prices have come down considerably on eBay in recent years. Just beware that you will need ASTRO 25 CPS to program either of those models, which is different than the ASTRO Saber/XTS 3000 CPS you're using now.

And of course you could look at the XPR series if you're more interested in DMR/TRBO than you are P25.

But since you already own the pair of 3000's, have you ever posted your codeplugs here for people to look at? You'd be surprised how many simple things that are giving you grief can be discovered with a fresh pair of eyes looking at the programming. Don't assume that the shop you brought them to is the last word on the issues you're having.

Never thought about posting the codeplug. Not sure how to do that. I'd be willing to let others look at it. I have cps for the 5000 as well as the XPR7550. I would just need the cable for whichever radio I go with. I have an older XTS3K model 2 S split that is working flawlessly. The case is a bit beat up which is why I wanted model 3 radios in better shape in both VHF and UHF versions.

Manny

Last edited:

clbsquared

You'll have to post it using a file sharing site, I believe. I don't believe you can post file attachments in this forum.

Sent from my HTC One A9 using Tapatalk

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Upload them to Dropbox or Google Drive or something similar that allows file sharing, then posts the links to the shared files here.

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
Upload them to Dropbox or Google Drive or something similar that allows file sharing, then posts the links to the shared files here.

Thanks. I don't use either of those as I'm not into file sharing but I will give them a try for this purpose. I'll post it on here at some point tomorrow. Thanks everyone. This is really frustrating. I've gone over these codeplugs for hours with help from a good friend who also programs these. I hope it's something fixable. I'm ready to take these radios on a little trip to my local firing range, if you can understand what I mean. :roll:

Manny.

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
XTS3000

Although my XTS3000 radios work properly, my equivalent band EFJ-5100's are noticeably better and have FPP. The 800 XTS garbles transmissions occasionally on simulcast, whi8le the 5100 is almost flawless. FPP makes the VHF 5100 as flexible as any of my ham HTs and it has much better audio.

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
Almost sounds like a firmware issue...

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk

Yeah the shop tech thought the same thing. Being so outdated, it's too costly to try and update the firmware assuming that it is still possible and that that is the problem.

Manny

IAmSixNine

Feed Provider
I had a model 3 UHF 3K do something similar.
1 channel would never be RX during scan mode. Parked on channel it worked just fine.
The 40 other channels all worked fine as well in different scan lists.
I had 2 other people look at it and never figured it out. Firmware was current and i never did figure it out.

pallen444

Hi just want to say get some one to program it right lots on here told me my xts3k would not work on system were I am at a friend who programs radios for a system p25 who did mine works great on my system,

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
UPDATE:

I received a very kind offer from RR member and fellow Ham, BK117-Brad. He owns and operates a Motorola repair shop and after a very lengthy detailed conversation, believes he can solve the problems He has extensive experience with the XTS3000 radios and still has the ability to reflash and update them if need be. He sought me out after reading my post and offered his services, which to me, are priceless right now. So instead of driving everyone crazy on here tearing through my codeplug trying to find the cause of the problem, I am going to let him take a whack at it. The shop I took my radios to initially, has the ability to program the radios but no longer has the equipment to reflash or upgrade firmware since they are outdated. I don't know Brad personally prior to this but just talking to him got me feeling very hopeful. He saved me the cost of replacing a few high caliber rounds that I would have used up at the range, which is where the radios were headed. :roll:

Manny

IAmSixNine

Feed Provider
My guess, tuning. Having a unit properly TTA (tested, tuned, aligned) can make a world of difference.
When i worked at a radio shop i tuned my radios yearly. Since i no longer have access to that equipment i just make due. Im sure thats the reason my UHF XTS has issues with that one frequency. But its not a primary radio so i deal with it.

Its nice to see someone reach out to you and offer to help with it.
Let us know how it goes. Ive been thinking about having several of my radios tuned.

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
Its nice to see someone reach out to you and offer to help with it.

Oh, I cannot agree with you more. I was at wits end. The shop tech I first had working on my radios called me this morning. He emailed the codeplugs to Motorola directly on his own on Friday because it was buggin him. They called him back saying that they could find nothing wrong with either codeplug from a programming standpoint. They concluded it is most likely a firmware issue. They suggested looking for someone who still had the ability to reflash the radios and update them with the last known firmware for the 3K series radios. I told the tech, I did not need to find such a person, he found me! LOL... Stay tuned.....

Manny

SCPD

QRT
You say it does fine manually no scan, however in scan does not unmute. Check your settings under the personalities, make sure they are and or, and in mdc or. Ensure the proper tone is used try csq, etc. Try to disable mdc muting see if this changes anything. If so then you'll know you have a mdc setting issue. Check your dos and other settings. Maybe try default settings in new personalities and new mdc personalities.

IAmSixNine

Feed Provider
For my purposes i have tried the following, and keep in mind its just one frequency.
No MDC on that.
Tried wide and narrow band.
tried it as a CSQ and with DPL131
Tried the And/Or as well.
I literally created a new bank with the frequency in question
453.875 25kzh DPL131
453.875 12.5khz DPL131
453.875 25khz CSQ
453.875 12.5khz csq.
Radio will pick up on the frequency when parked on it. Added to any scan list no RX.

Then added them to other scan lists to take out that variable.
the ONLY thing that i have not done is have the radio tuned.
Im really not going to worry about it as i have other radios and they are all newer but i did want to chime in as i thought it was similar to the OP posting. Im chalking it up to a bug or something. Worked at a moto shop almost 8 years, programmed and worked on many of these units and i have many other radios that work just fine.
In fact the unit in question is a model 3 and my model 1 works with no issues.
Perhaps if the OP has his radio fixed by the person helping him i may ask for that guys info and pay him to tune my radios and check out my model 3 radio.

So I hate to point out the obvious but it may be a firmware bug. What firmware is the radio running? DSP? It may need updated and that may resolve the issue.

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk

IAmSixNine

Feed Provider
Host 07.71.06
DSPN 08.03.05
And after not using it for a long *** time im now getting Fail 01/82 and Fail 002

My last saved codeplug was from 2012. Ill shoot that back into it.
I am pretty good about reading units and saving original codeplugs as well so im going to go through my archives and see if i have my original. If so ill shoot that to it then build it from that.

Status
Not open for further replies.