Don't believe everything you hear on ham radio

Status
Not open for further replies.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
You have to live in the area to understand why. The wide-area linked system has attracted a large population of undesirable behaviours by mostly unidentified and/or unlicensed individuals. You've been around long enough to know of similar problems found in other urban centers.
As you may know I'm right on the other side of the Burlington-Bristol Bridge, Burlington City, Township and the Westampton/ Mount Holly Area have been stomping grounds for me for decades and decades. Things have changed, just like Bristol borough has changed horribly.

Thanks for all of those good repeaters!

merlin

I was listening to one of the ham radio VoIP systems today.
One of the net participants was in the Houston TX area.
He said he worked in law enforcement and mentioned some interesting (also incorrect) things:
  • The radio system in the Houston area (probably referring to TXWARN but he didn't actually name it) is fully encrypted.
  • Texas DPS and all other law enforcement in Texas is encrypted, except for some small towns that didn't get grants.
  • Icom sells a unit that costs about $9000 or more and they will put keys in it to allow you to monitor anything.
Never automatically believe everything you hear on ham radio.
I looked into that Icom and the story is total horse****. Not even a prototype has been made and cracking encryption a Fugaku supercomputer would spend its entire existence diddling bits. No such thing as universal keys.

merlin

Good luck on that exam and I recall tubes pretty well, but EchoLink?? EchoLink sounds like a brand name to those old 10 foot diameter C-band dishes that got 99 satellite channels back in the 1980s.

What has happened to news reporting since the 1970s is a professional tragedy.
Real news casting died with Walter Cronkite and Dan Rather.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I always get a kick out of listening to an "expert" tell people about my system. It's actually quite amusing.

Yeah, I've had that happen a few times. Painful to listen to them explain my own system to me in exquisite (and incorrect) detail.

Letting them down easy at the end takes some skill. Occasionally I've had one or two attempt to argue with me. That's about the point I walk away since I don't waste time on people like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.