Dont hear everything all the time??

Status
Not open for further replies.

chazcarly

I have a New 996XT.....I have programed it with Free Scan...... The issue I am having is that I dont here all of the PD departments I have in a conventional system all the time....
I have 1 System with 12 groups or towns in it. Each town or group has about 4 freqs in it.
Is this the right way to do it?????

I here some towns 10 miles away and others that are less than 5 are quite??
I had the same stuff in my 785 and would hear all of them at night??
The ant is a Diamond Discone D130J in attic.

Also a couple of Towns use the same PD Freq. 471.8000 for example. Should I only have it in that system one time under one town or keep it active in all of the towns in the system???

Any Ideas

Thanks
Matt

jackj

I am guessing that these systems are analog and not digital, right? Do you have the right tone squelch frequencies programed for each system? Your scanner has the ability to display the tone or digital squelch tone or code. In the Freescan's PL column, select "search".

If you have a couple of towns using the same frequency but different tone squelch frequencies then you will have to have an entry for each in order to monitor them both. Or you could set up just one channel with carrier squelch and hear them both.

chazcarly

I am guessing that these systems are analog and not digital, right? Do you have the right tone squelch frequencies programed for each system? Your scanner has the ability to display the tone or digital squelch tone or code. In the Freescan's PL column, select "search".

If you have a couple of towns using the same frequency but different tone squelch frequencies then you will have to have an entry for each in order to monitor them both. Or you could set up just one channel with carrier squelch and hear them both.

Thanks
Yes they are Analog...... PL Column??? I dont see that ..... They all have the same Freq and Tone squelch.....

jackj

Sorry, I don't remember what Freescan calls the function. You need to find where you set the tone squelch's sub-audible tone frequency and change that to Search. It will show either "None", something like 107.3 Hz or a number like 013 for digital squelch. If you click on the down-arrow, it will list all the tone frequencies and digital codes. I haven't used Freescan since I got my PSR-800, sorry.

DJ88

Thanks
Yes they are Analog...... PL Column??? I dont see that ..... They all have the same Freq and Tone squelch.....

The PL column is the TONE column.

jackj stated:
"You need to find where you set the tone squelch's sub-audible tone frequency and change that to Search."

You only want it set to SEARCH if you're trying to find the correct tone. There is no SEARCH option listed in the column. However, it can be done:
1 - Make sure it says NONE in the Tone space next to the frequency you want to tone search.
2 - Put the curser (arrow) over NONE and left click.
3 - Hit S on your keyboard, and SEARCH will appear in the column.

As for not hearing anything on some of the systems/groups, first off, make sure the systems aren't locked out. Secondly, did you assign Quick Keys to the groups? If so, make sure they're enabled. If they're disabled, you won't hear anything on them.

If multiple towns use the same frequency/tone and you have them in different groups, you may want to enter them in all of the groups in the event you decide to temporarily lock out one of the groups. You can alpha tag them with the multiple town names, although you may have to abbreviate them in order to get it to fit.

Status
Not open for further replies.