dont know how to use these codes. Help me please

Status
Not open for further replies.

pink123

i dont know what these means(system 6/7 they use 800 mhz) and how to use them on my hand held scanner ??
if anyone can help it would be qreat :)

pink123

i have a triple trunkinq hand held scanner.
what is sbco?
what does system 6/7 mean?

zz0468

QRT
Banned
i have a triple trunkinq hand held scanner.
what is sbco?
what does system 6/7 mean?

People are going to need to know the exact make and model of scanner you have, in order to help you program it.

SBCO means 'San Bernardino County'.

San Bernardino county has a number of separate trunked radios systems, each covering a specific area, or for a specific purpose. The 6/7 system is the one that covers the the inland valley area, from the LA/Orange county lines, east to Yucaipa and Redlands. If you look in the RadioReference database for SB county system 6/7 you will find all the information you need to know to program your scanner.

If you want to hear even more, you will need to program systems 8, 9, and 10 also.

pink123

okayy. well my scanner is a RadioShack Pro-164 scanninq reciever.
its already proqramed to SBCO.
all i keep hearinq is static when i try to put in a station.
so what am i doinq wronq??

marcotor

I ♥ÆS Ø
Feed Provider
Are you programming it yourself, or did someone program it for you?

A local Radio Shack *should* be able to assist you in getting the proper frequencies and talkgroups programmed in. San Bernardino System 6/7 has over 100 talkgroups, so getting just the ones you want can be a little bit of search work.

You might want to invest in a programming cable and software to assist in programming the scanner.

pink123

when i went to RadioShack they had proqrammed it to SBCO for me. Also they qave me a list of frequencies to put in. but all i hear is static.
i went back and asked them why its not workinq, and they dont know how to work it.
ive had my scanner since december 09 and ive been doinq some search work and found nothinq.

zz0468

QRT
Banned
when i went to RadioShack they had proqrammed it to SBCO for me. Also they qave me a list of frequencies to put in. but all i hear is static.
i went back and asked them why its not workinq, and they dont know how to work it.
ive had my scanner since december 09 and ive been doinq some search work and found nothinq.

Sounds frustrating. Well, there are two possibilities:

1. It's not programmed properly
2. It's broken.

Unfortunately, it's not possible for people in the forum here to determine either possibility by remote control. Yo really need to determine that yourself.

That being said, if you post in the RadioShack scanners forum here, and ask for advice on how to program it, there are people familiar with that very radio who might be able to give you step by step directions.

The SBCO systems you're trying to receive are very much alive and well, and the database here is pretty accurate. So, I would look there first, and try to understand how the thing is supposed to be programmed. It's a trunked system, so if it's not just right, you're probably not going to hear anything.

Hmmm... A third possibility comes to mind. Where exactly are you trying to listen from? If you're outside the system's coverage area, you're not going to hear anything.

pink123

well i know my scanner is not broken because it is brand new.
so it could be possible that Radio Shack proqrammed it wronq.
im just tryinq to ask some questions so i can maybe fiqure it out. im not lookinq to find step by step results.just some answers that could help me.
and im currently in SBCO so i dont think that should be the problem.

im new to all of this so when people write thinqs on the forums i dont understand what they mean.

pink123

yes ive read the user's quide.
and some of the thinqs confuse me.
like should my Delay be ON or OFF??
and do i set the Attenuator?

pepsima1

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
The best thing to do is to goto to the Radio Shack forum on this website and find a user that will program those sites in on the same scanner and send you the file thru email and you can use programming software and make sure you have the cable for the scanner and import the file and there you go.

You will just have to find somebody that is nice and that will do that for you. Sometimes you have to be a genius to program these scanners anymore and do alot of research and testing to get this trunking systems to work on your scanners. I have the uniden bcd996xt and the bcd396xt and I have it all figured out.

pink123

well when i qot it from Radio Shack they said they already proqrammed it.
they told me to enter the frequencies and it should work.
uqh why is this so hard :(

pepsima1

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
See the thing is that all of these scanners are programmed with one big database sent from the factory that has been programmed, but in all reality they are not programmed right. I am telling you that this site here is up todate and I use this site to program my scanner and have to re-program it sometimes because some trunking systems change and other users that belong to this site send in updated information to keep these trunking systems up to date. Both of my uniden scanners came pre-programmed but I blew out the database and started from scratch and imported these trunking sites to my scanner one at a time. This is the best I can tell you at this point. You have to be a little savy with computers and these high tech scanners. Once you understand how it works, then you will be happy and everything will work really well for you.

zz0468

QRT
Banned
well i know my scanner is not broken because it is brand new.

Likely, but not always the case. Let's assume that it's ok, and it's merely operator and/or programming error. Remember, it HAS to be RIGHT or it just won't work.

so it could be possible that Radio Shack proqrammed it wronq.

Could very well be. I have very little faith in Radio Shack.

im just tryinq to ask some questions so i can maybe fiqure it out. im not lookinq to find step by step results.just some answers that could help me.

You've come to the right place. There's a lot of people here who can help, in varying capacities.

and im currently in SBCO so i dont think that should be the problem.

Well... Maybe. Maybe not. SB County is pretty huge, and the coverage footprint of each system is not that huge. Example: If you're in the high desert, you're not going to hear the valley system (6/7), the West End system, or the SB City system. If you're in the valley, you're not going to hear system 1 (Apple Valley and Victorville). And you're not going to hear system 2 unless you're in Barstow. And so on. So, actually, it does matter quite a bit where you are. Letting us know approximately might be of some help.

im new to all of this so when people write thinqs on the forums i dont understand what they mean.

Setting up a scanner for a trunked system is pretty complicated at times. Read the wiki, it's got a lot of good information for beginners. Look at the database for SB County, and see the various systems, frequencies, and talk groups. And if you don't understand at least the previous sentence, we're not going to be of much use to you. But it's all explained in the wiki.

Don't be afraid to ask questions, and don't be afraid to answer ours.

Last edited:

Mike_G_D

pink123,

A couple of questions for you:

1) Do you have a computer available to use and that you are comfortable with? I'm guessing you do since you are posting here but, in the off chance that you could be using a friend's PC or some coffee shop internet terminal to post I felt it prudent to ask.

2) Did you happen to buy the programming USB cable for your scanner? I'm guessing, from the nature of your posts that you likely did not but figured I'd ask anyway.

I would strongly suggest, if you have not already done so, that you purchase the USB-to-serial cable from Radio Shack - catalog number 20-047 (give them that number at the store and they can locate it for you).

Then I would download WIN97 from www.starrsoft.com; it is free to try for 30 days and is only $25 to purchase for a lifetime license.

Once you have those items ready we can help you better because we can exchange files with you - we can examine your file to see what problems it may have and we can send you our files to upload to the scanner for you to try and play with.

Personally, I have a WIN97 file for San Bernardino County which I will gladly share with you here but you need to have the programming cable and software. Many others on this forum can help you in the same way. Be aware that you will need to install the cable onto your PC first (get the right drivers, etc.).

-Mike

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.