Dont know what to do

Status
Not open for further replies.

kd5pqv

Premium Subscriber
I have been a member many years but never had one I could program from my computer can someone tell me two things .do I need to let the seller program it are can I program it using RR abd save a bunch of money.

kruser

Premium Subscriber
What brand and model are you looking at getting?

Either way, you can likely still program it by hand as well as by a computer.
Many people like to learn how to do it by hand for times a computer may not be handy. I think that's darn good advice myself.
As far as computer programming goes, it can greatly speed up programming especially with text tags that almost all models use today. Computer programming can also greatly reduce many of the simple mistakes or errors that get in there with todays complex radio systems.
If you are the least bit handy with a computer, you will probably pickup programming by computer rather easy.
If you get stuck, this place here is full of people that can usually walk you through any steps you may have troubles with. With that said, I'd try and learn it yourself and then if that fails, you can always ask for help and see if someone else can do it for you.

So for the time being, save your money and try it yourself first!

Last edited:

kruser

Premium Subscriber
Well, the SDS200 is a very involved model with a lot of features and settings! It's probably the most complex or advanced scanner on the market!
But, if you are coming from never using a computer to program a scanner before, you may find it much easier than some users that have been using computers for programming for years.

I'd still try and get the hang of it yourself first. It comes with free software plus there's a 3rd party software program that many users also like.
Plus the SDS200 is very new still so there are many users here that can help if you get stuck as well as several online resources if you like that method of learning.

kruser

Premium Subscriber
No problem!

If you do get one, I think you will enjoy it very much.
I personally find that I enjoy programming a new radio as much or even more sometimes as I do listening to them!
The SDS models are very flexible in what can be programmed. That in itself can be overwhelming for some users.

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
You are very good to yourself :) The SDS200 is the premium scanner right now. I think it always best to program the scanner yourself with Sentinel, a learning curve but like anything else with repetition it gets easier. The best way to learn your scanner is to program it! I always say take your time and brew a pot of coffee and have fun with it!

Status
Not open for further replies.