Don't know where to post this..

Status
Not open for further replies.

stutch13

I got a new scanner for my birthday a couple months back and it is the pro 163.. I got it thinking I needed trunking but recently I was in another Radio Shack and overheard a gent looking for a scanner and said he would need a digital scanner shortly anyway.. My question for you is did I get the wrong scanner for my area?? I live in western Nebraska near Sidney and at this time I get Logan and sedgwick counties in Colorado and Kimball, Cheyenne, Deuel, Garden and Morril counties in Nebraska.. I know about the new LMRS that is being installed here and was wondering if this is digital (fine time to ask after getting the new scanner and all)... if this system is digital will all radio comms in Nebraska be digital?? also will the railroads be switching to digital as well?? thank you..

Allan_Love_Jr

I got a new scanner for my birthday a couple months back and it is the pro 163.. I got it thinking I needed trunking but recently I was in another Radio Shack and overheard a gent looking for a scanner and said he would need a digital scanner shortly anyway.. My question for you is did I get the wrong scanner for my area?? I live in western Nebraska near Sidney and at this time I get Logan and sedgwick counties in Colorado and Kimball, Cheyenne, Deuel, Garden and Morril counties in Nebraska.. I know about the new LMRS that is being installed here and was wondering if this is digital (fine time to ask after getting the new scanner and all)... if this system is digital will all radio comms in Nebraska be digital?? also will the railroads be switching to digital as well?? thank you..
The Railroads in Nebraska won't be going to Digital any time soon.

SCPD

QRT
Not all public safety comms will be going digital. State agencies will be using the digital trunking system statewide, once it is completed. Your area is the first to go online with the new system, once they get their linking issues worked out. County and local agencies have the option to use the system but are not mandated to use it. Look in the database and see who is using digital conventional systems. Also look at the FCC license. If the emissions end in 1E that is digital voice.
I think the only digital conventional system in the plans in Scott Bluff county. That will be on VHF. At least that was posted on here a couple of months ago. Unknown if true or not.
Long story short you will need a digital scanner in the very near future to hear state agnecies.

stutch13

Not all public safety comms will be going digital. State agencies will be using the digital trunking system statewide, once it is completed. Your area is the first to go online with the new system, once they get their linking issues worked out. County and local agencies have the option to use the system but are not mandated to use it. Look in the database and see who is using digital conventional systems. Also look at the FCC license. If the emissions end in 1E that is digital voice.
I think the only digital conventional system in the plans in Scott Bluff county. That will be on VHF. At least that was posted on here a couple of months ago. Unknown if true or not.
Long story short you will need a digital scanner in the very near future to hear state agnecies.

I know that Colorado has that DTRS system that is digital but I get a lot of their state agencies on the conventional route, does this mean they are using both systems or are some just not switched yet??

SCPD

QRT
I know that Colorado has that DTRS system that is digital but I get a lot of their state agencies on the conventional route, does this mean they are using both systems or are some just not switched yet??

Could be a bit of all the above actually. It might be repeated analog so Nebraska LE knows what is coming their way. It's hard to say what the actual reasoning is.

To the OP, the state is slowly going digital and expects to have the entire network in place by winter of 2010. I know it has been rolled out in western Nebraska, and that some testing has been done, but that is all I know at this point.

If your interest in listening will be NSP ultimately you will need a digital scanner. Once the new state digital network is in place, it's hard to predict what the counties and towns will do. I don't know if the state will offer counties/cities to lease/use space on the new network or what the exact plan is. At this point hard to say, and only time will tell.

I've also read that in Omaha they will be using 700MHz, whereas the rest of the state is being built out on VHF-hi. The 700MHz rumor is just that, a rumor at this point as I am unable to substantiate the claim. Further, this new state network will somehow tie into the Orion network that OPPD and Omaha/Douglas county share with OPPD.

Only time will tell what happens, I know I'm pretty confused by what I have heard and read. Anyone have any real knowledge of what is in the works?

Colorado has that DTRS system that is digital but I get a lot of their state agencies on the conventional route, does this mean they are using both systems or are some just not switched yet??

Many Colorado agencies in the northeast part of the state still operate over VHF analog, and patch Colorado DTRS, such as CSP into county radios. I have heard the patches over my scanner when I travel into Denver.

For more information, the Colorado Forum would be better suited for that answer for you.

stutch13

I was also thinking will they change the pagers to digital?? That would seem like one thing that wouldn't need to be digital at all, but I'm probably wrong..

I was also thinking will they change the pagers to digital?? That would seem like one thing that wouldn't need to be digital at all, but I'm probably wrong..

Some paramedics and emt's, such as those employed by Rural-Metro here in Omaha carry digital alphanumeric pagers to receive calls. However it is unlikely Fire Departments will switch over to digital voice pagers, as of this moment, are not in production and for some departments, it would be cost-prohibitive.

N

N_Jay

(NOTE: Not NE Specific)

Some agencies have changed to digital display pagers over the last few years. Most don't because digital paging does not give the user a cheap and easy channel monitor like an analog tone and voice pager does.

There is currently no standard (nor any products) for P25 digital paging.

Status
Not open for further replies.