Don't piss off JFK Approach

Status
Not open for further replies.

inigo88

California DB Admin
Database Admin
Immelmen, I think your characterization of everything west of ORD being a cakewalk is a little inaccurate. :)

Here in California, I've definitely controllers at both Norcal and Socal TRACONs rip air carrier pilots a new one when they screw up. SFO can get crazy in good weather with their normal capacity hinging on the availability of pilots flying Charted Visual Flight Procedures to parallel runways spaced 500 ft apart, and the proximity of SFO/OAK/SJC in such a small area complicate things. In Socal, SAN is the busiest single-runway airport in the world (and they squeeze those guys into minimum spacing so they better have their s*** together) and the complexity of the Los Angeles basin goes without saying.

There's no question in my mind that ORD and JFK controllers are unrivaled in their ruthlessness, and California controllers tend to be laid back (maybe it's that "surfer dude" attitude), just wanted to add that everyone taking your advice to go out west should probably stop when they reach Salt Lake Center. :lol: :lol:

To stay on topic, the audio in those videos was lifted from the liveatc.net forums (where they were obtained from liveatc's feed archives), which is a great resource. I hope somebody feeds O'Hare eventually because I would love to hear this abuse first hand.

Inigo

poltergeisty

Truth is a force of nature
Banned
"I'm trying to run traffic..effectively and smoothly into the Kennedy airport."

Right........That's why you are wasting time questioning and just not giving the damn assigned speed. Like he asked!

Tower monkeys..

K4DHR

"I'm trying to run traffic..effectively and smoothly into the Kennedy airport."

Right........That's why you are wasting time questioning and just not giving the damn assigned speed. Like he asked!

Tower monkeys..

Exactly why I said the brow-beating does nobody any good. Give them the speed and move on.

Of course it goes both ways. There was an Airtran pilot who evidently didn't look at his flight plan before departure that was getting PO'd at Atlanta Center because they couldn't give him a direct routing back to the direction he needed to be heading fast enough for him. His filed flight plan would have had him flying from Atlanta to Charleston via Knoxville (yeah, I know) but luckily someone at the center intervened and got him going in the right direction, but evidently they weren't moving fast enough for him. I got a good chuckle listening to the exchange on the way home yesterday. I just wish I had a way of recording it!!

immelmen

Immelmen, I think your characterization of everything west of ORD being a cakewalk is a little inaccurate. :)

Inigo

Yeah, another post where I should have been more specific. keep in mind for those of us based in the east, everything past St. Louis is "out west". While LAX is not the torture chamber Chicago is, it has its moments. Honestly, I was thinking of Denver when I wrote that :D

As for California trips, I bid around them. Any more than four hours in that seat and I start to get a tad punchy. Besides, I cant hold anything better then the red-eyes.

If you can ever find a feed for O'Hare, listen to the ground controllers. They are not human. The hold pads at ORD are called the penalty box for good reason.....if, after clearing the runway, you bring your aircraft to a stop before reaching your gate.....it almost always lands you in the Box!

Last edited:

immelmen

In Socal, SAN is the busiest single-runway airport in the world (and they squeeze those guys into minimum spacing so they better have their s*** together)

Inigo

Here is something about spacing I thought you all might get a kick out of. In the old tower cab at ORD circa 1995, there were duck tape X's on the floor with runway numbers on them. The controller working that runway would stand over the corresponding X on the floor and the glass of the tower cab windows would create an optical illusion that made it look like the controller had legal separation for that runway when he really did not.

As long as the weather was good enough for visual approaches, aircraft were cleared with "less than legal" separation. If you listen, you will notice they are very pushy to get you to call following traffic or the field 30 miles out so they can give you the visual...if one guy needs the ILS then they had to back everyone out to legal separation.

I Have not been in the new cab to see if there is new duck tape ;)

inigo88

California DB Admin
Database Admin
Here is something about spacing I thought you all might get a kick out of. In the old tower cab at ORD circa 1995, there were duck tape X's on the floor with runway numbers on them. The controller working that runway would stand over the corresponding X on the floor and the glass of the tower cab windows would create an optical illusion that made it look like the controller had legal separation for that runway when he really did not.

As long as the weather was good enough for visual approaches, aircraft were cleared with "less than legal" separation. If you listen, you will notice they are very pushy to get you to call following traffic or the field 30 miles out so they can give you the visual...if one guy needs the ILS then they had to back everyone out to legal separation.

I Have not been in the new cab to see if there is new duck tape ;)

HAHA that's so awesome!!! :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.