Don't take my BC780 away

Status
Not open for further replies.

stantorres

I have a BC780XLT with a discriminator tap which has been great for DSDplus, and it is a great MilAir receiver. Love this radio more than many of my newer scanners.

I can't enter any of my local 700mhz P-25 freqs (out of range).

Some new digital systems in my area are on those new narrowband frequencies, such as 424.49375. When I enter these, the scanner won't take that many digits, even when I set the Step to 5. If the scanner rounds those frequencies up or down, I am assuming that digital signals will not be as forgiving, and that I need a scanner that will be dead on frequency for a good decode quality, right?

Would love to hang on to the 780, but might be time.

Ubbe

Some new digital systems in my area are on those new narrowband frequencies, such as 424.49375. When I enter these, the scanner won't take that many digits, even when I set the Step to 5.

Use 5KHz or 7,5KHz or even 12,5KHz to get as close as possible. The worst case would then be 2,5KHz off which might be questionable to digitally decode in NFM but certainly not in FM mode. Your 424.49375 can be set at 5KHz step to 424.49500 which is 1,25KHz off, which is nothing that would degrade the decode in NFM.

The 780 has a variactor tuned filter in the high VHF range which makes it so good. Most commercial radios use this so I really wish that more scanners would use it, although it would add to the cost. But an expensive scanner like the SDS100 would certainly be using this kind of tracking filter for it's front end, anything else would be a failure.

/Ubbe

Status
Not open for further replies.