Well, could they have scanned all those frequencies, talkgroups, time
slots, and color groups (I never learned the digital stuff) by
themselves with hobbyist equipment, or did it take insider or employee
skills to get the info?

Also with this info does it mean one can even listen to encrypted
conversations, or only stuff the government deliberately still didn't
encrypt?

I'm drawing the line by only publishing things one could compile from
hours of listening at home. And don't want to publish any leaked data.

Whiskey3JMC

DXpeditioner
Premium Subscriber
Well, could they have scanned all those frequencies themselves with hobbyist equipment, or did it take insider or employee
skills to get the info?
If you're asking about how this info is discovered then submitted to RR then yes, hobbyists like myself with their radios listened in and obtained enough info to come to conclusions about what we heard to be able to submit the info to the database

Also with this info does it mean one can even listen to encrypted
conversations, or only stuff the government deliberately still didn't
encrypt?
No encrypted conversation can be legally monitored by anyone without an affiliate radio on the system, IT'S ILLEGAL!

nd5y

No encrypted conversation can be legally monitored by anyone without an affiliate radio on the system, IT'S ILLEGAL!
Legality is irrelevant. You can't recover the audio from encrypted transmissions with hobby or consumer grade equipment.
Even if you had the exact same radio model(s) with the exact same firmware that the system you want to monitor uses, you still can't listen to encrypted transmissions without the encryption key(s).
You can't get encryption keys from monitoring over the air.

ladn

Explorer of the Frequency Spectrum
Premium Subscriber
Southern California and sometimes Owens Valley
Even if you HAD the keys. there is no where to enter them in a SCANNER.
Actually, the keys are entered via the keypad like on the Motorola APX401 :cool: !

But in reality, scanners don't have the hardware/software modules to handle processing encryption even if you had a way to load a key.

Modern two way radios can have/store multiple keys and can be rekeyed an reprogrammed via OTAR (Over The Air Reprogramming).

jidanni

OK, so only if the file they sent me has an extra column,
Code:
wil88bur
norburg11
k%mx91!
abc123
does it mean they have sent me state secrets. Good! Thanks.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
And don't want to publish any leaked data.

If you don't know what it is, or if it's "leaked data", then don't publish it.

Most websites that are trying to provide accurate frequency info for hobbyists have some level of standards that they abide by to prevent incorrect or questionable data from being published.

In other words, if you have to ask…. Well, you probably know what the answer is.

jidanni

The problem is simply that I am a dinosaur that only understands scanning from way back and
am not fit to go back to scanner school to learn what's new. OK, thanks to your help I now
am clear about the content.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
All of the really good stuff is encrypted, and there's no way to hear anything but static when encryption is used, unless you have a radio with encryption capability, and can the key.

Scanners don't have either of those capabilities, so there's no reason to worry.

scanmanmi

Since the is no such thing as a secret frequency, or the public listing thereof (which I believe the founder of this site went to court on our behalf), my question is it even possible to textually transfer decryption keys. If you could what would it look like? Is it jsut a string of text or some type of locked file I would have to have? Could I take a string of text and enter it into some software and decrypt?

jidanni

Here's a list of congressmen, and their office addresses... and door lock codes!
I'm just trying to make sure I know what I'm looking at.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Since the is no such thing as a secret frequency, or the public listing thereof (which I believe the founder of this site went to court on our behalf), my question is it even possible to textually transfer decryption keys. If you could what would it look like? Is it jsut a string of text or some type of locked file I would have to have? Could I take a string of text and enter it into some software and decrypt?

It's important to note that the OP is located in Taiwan, so laws could be quite a bit different than here in the USA.
As always, consult a local legal expert. Some countries do not play as nicely as others.

Status
Not open for further replies.