DOS 6.22 GRRRRR!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Josh380

Can somebody explain to me why the hell I can find dos 6.22 complete install on VHD, but I can only find it in boot disks for the ISO version? I have windows XP. Every VHD to ISO converter I'm finding says it only works for windows 7.

This is really aggravating. Pulling what little hair I have out trying to figure out how to get a dual boot DOS/XP installed on a fresh drive to a Panasonic CF-28. I'm running into every roadblock imaginable. Found a tutorial on how to do it (THPC) and the instructions are what are leading me into roadblocks.

It says I need a windows 98 boot disk (which I have) including the files from btsect.zip download. It says I need to add Choice.com to the floppy, but I can't find it for dos7..only choice.exe. Instructions specify choice .com so I need to find that for dos7 or I need a complete dos 6.22 install iso, which I can't find. I can only find boot disks.Those of you that know DOS know that different versions of stuff don't work together.

Getting a system to dual boot windows xp and DOS should be a walk in the park but it's turning into a nightmare. I've gotten as far as adding a second FAT32 Partition to my drive. I'm stuck on all this other BS that comes afterwards and feeling like I'm going in circles. I understand typically dos is supposed to be installed prior to windows.

I really wish there was just a cd I could throw into the drive and it would do all this crap for me so I don't have to stress over it. Obviously that doesn't exist. I really wish there were straightforward instructions for installing it all, starting out with a fresh, single partition drive, step by step. Unfortunately it seems I have to mutt together instructions from different sites to get what I want. XP is so old that instructions are just not out there.

Can anyone help....please end my headache.

Last edited:

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
The days before windows sorry but you need to install dos buy its self and then install the hardware drivers that are made for dos that fits the hardware. Which may be a problem finding things that will work newer than a 486 20meg cpu pc.

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
Use a Linux installer to install grub boot loader then use FreeDOS and overwrite the Linux partition. Running well on my CF-28.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Josh380

Use a Linux installer to install grub boot loader then use FreeDOS and overwrite the Linux partition. Running well on my CF-28.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's one way...not sure how to do that. But I do have a CF-28 that has a dual boot setup already in place with DOS7, not FreeDOS. So I know it CAN be done. I imagine if they're both the same mark I suppose I could clone the drive.....but I'd like to know how it's done. I'm kinda picky when it comes to the minor differences (if any) between FreeDOS and DOS. Maybe it's just because I'm old school and like everything to match.

I did it once to another computer a VERY long time ago. Unfortunately I don't remember how I accomplished it. Again, I know I installed DOS first, then XP. From past experience that I can't completely recall, and from what I've heard, installing DOS first, then Windows XP, is the preferred, and easiest way to do it. Unfortunately straight instructions for starting with a brand new hard drive for DOS and XP don't seem to exist.

EDIT: Cloning the drive will not work.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.