• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

dose anyone make a directional CB antenna?

Status
Not open for further replies.

methusaleh

There are countless commercial designs from throughout the years, plus it is easy and a good learning experience to make your own.

Search the 'net, and ye shall find....

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
They used to, not sure exactly what is available today. Lots of people had "beam" antennas on a rotor that are "bi-directional" (forward and backward with good side rejection). There's one who's name escapes me at the moment that has 3 vertical elements, does not need a rotor, and the user can pick which of the 3 directions is active (or all of them) with a pattern just over 120 degrees.

r_eugene1

I believe it was the Super Scanner. I have owned 2 in the past years and we a real exceptional antenna in my opinion. Always like to work the SSB band when the conditions were right. Those days bring back old memories.

w2xq

Mentor
There were many CB beams c.1960. If you can't find one -- I have no idea if they're made any more -- you could buy a ham radio single-band 10m beam and do the math to add a bit of length to the tips to move down to 27.2 MHz or so. You have to mount the beam vertically and get it at least 1/4-wavelength above the ground. Google for amateur radio dealers or manufacturers to begin your search.

A company called Maco still makes new beam antennas for 11 meters. Everything from a 2 element delta loop to an 8 element monster yagi.

Status
Not open for further replies.