Double DIN Sleeve for 996XT/15/15X?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonesyxvii

Premium Subscriber
Does anyone know if a double DIN sleeve exists for the Uniden 996XT, 15 or 15X? I have both a 996XT and a 15 that I'm trying to mount in my vehicle and ideally I'd like them to be snuggled together to keep each other company at night when they're alone in the garage. (Ok, not really, but it'll make for a nice and clean install.)

Rob

CoolCat

Premium Subscriber
I don't think a double DIN sleeve would work with those radios. While the body of the radio is a standard DIN size, the front panel of the radio is larger; since the larger face prevents the scanners from sitting flush against each other, it is also large enough to prevent the two radios from fitting into a double DIN sleeve.

You must have a dash opening that is larger than double DIN to fit them both in there together, and you'll have to make your own mount for them.

In my '06 F150 I have a 996XT mounted above a single DIN head unit (and a 1/2-DIN equalizer below it). I used the ISO brackets from a double DIN stereo installation kit (without the dash trim piece) to mount them. I drilled new holes in the brackets to set the proper height and depth for each component. It worked out well for me.

What vehicle are you installing them in?

jonesyxvii

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the info. I hadn't considered the size of the front panel.

I'm putting these in a 2012 Ford Escape but here's the catch: I'm not putting them in the dash...I'm trying to mount them standing upright in the centre console between the front seats. The storage compartment there is deep enough but I want them to be secure and not slide around. I also need to mount them up a bit to accommodate the cables that stick out of the back (or in this case, because they'll be upright, the bottom).

I'm open to ideas!

Rob

CoolCat

Premium Subscriber
Does your center console have an inside part that can be removed from the console body? I don't mean a removable "tray", but the actual compartment itself. If it can be removed (usually screwed into the outer console or to a bracket, and/or snaps in/out of place).
If you can remove the inner console, then you could drill a couple holes in the sides of it and bolt the scanners in using the stock mounting knob threads (you would need to leave the black metal sleeve on the scanners; the inner DIN case has holes on the side, but they are not threaded).

Alternatively, you could make a simple drop-in bracket out out aluminum flat stock (available at hardware stores" home depot" etc). You could mount the scanners to the bracket then simply drop it into the console.

Good Luck :)

jonesyxvii

Premium Subscriber
Does your center console have an inside part that can be removed from the console body? I don't mean a removable "tray", but the actual compartment itself. If it can be removed (usually screwed into the outer console or to a bracket, and/or snaps in/out of place).
If you can remove the inner console, then you could drill a couple holes in the sides of it and bolt the scanners in using the stock mounting knob threads (you would need to leave the black metal sleeve on the scanners; the inner DIN case has holes on the side, but they are not threaded).

Alternatively, you could make a simple drop-in bracket out out aluminum flat stock (available at hardware stores" home depot" etc). You could mount the scanners to the bracket then simply drop it into the console.

Good Luck :)

Your second idea is kind of what I was going for, something I can attach the radios to and then drop in to the console. Ideally the bracket would be as wide as the console, thereby stopping them from sliding around. I'll keep looking around for something suitable. I'm not at all "handy" so building my own is pretty much my last choice.

Thanks for the feedback and ideas,

Rob

Thayne

I did that in a Subaru, just mounted each radio using iso brackets, but I got a plastic bezel from a junkyard & carefully used a Dremel to judiciously trim it so the front panels looked good. Kept the original plastic to put back when it is time to sell.

(probably never happen since my daughter drives it like a typical teenager)

CoolCat

Premium Subscriber
You can buy radio equipment consoles to replace your factory console. If you decide to go that route, you have some good options as your car is used quite extensively by government agencies [that often have radio equipment installed], so there are a few radio consoles made specifically for your car.

That being said, I get the feeling you want to keep your car looking as "factory" as possible (since you want to "hide" all this inside your factory console). To do what you want I think you are going to have to make something yourself. This doesn't have to be a big project, and you could make it out of different materials depending on what you are comfortable with. Nobody is "handy" by birth; We all have to learn from experience.

I originally suggested aluminium flat stock because it is strong, easy to bend, easy to cut, and easy to drill. You could also make it out of wood or MDF. Now that I'm picturing it in my head, wood (1" thick pine board) would probably be the easiest way to do it. Just 3 pieces is all you would need; 1 horizontal piece to lay on the "floor" of the console, and 2 vertical pieces (attached to the horizontal piece) to mount the radios to. Stores like Home Depot will even cut the wood for you if you want (at HD, the first 2 cuts are free, 25 cents for each additional cut). Just find a 1" pine board that is already a close match to the width of your console (not wider) and cut the 3 pieces from that board.

jonesyxvii

Premium Subscriber
You can buy radio equipment consoles to replace your factory console. If you decide to go that route, you have some good options as your car is used quite extensively by government agencies [that often have radio equipment installed], so there are a few radio consoles made specifically for your car.

I've looked into those and as col looking as they are, they're also a tad expensive. And yes, I'd prefer to keep the factory look and feel as much as possible, so your wooden rig idea might be a good option.

Another option that I have is to mount them in the "wet trunk" in the cargo space at the back of the Escape. That means running longer power wires and using the Uniden BC-RH96 remote head (I have one; would need a second). I might go that route and simply use the mounting brackets that come with the scanners to affix them to a wooden "shelf" that I would lower into the wet trunk. I could also affix a power distribution panel to it (two scanners, two remote heads and a Garmin 18x GPS antenna) and keep it accessible. The wet trunk is also lockable, which would make it secure.

Great, now I don't know which to choose!

Rob

Rob_K

Feed Provider
Last edited:

jonesyxvii

Premium Subscriber

Rob_K

Feed Provider
I didn't re-read the thread but those are Havis or Jotto type faceplates. They usually run around ~$40 each. Not sure if you could make them working by rotating 90 degrees.

If you're able to get pics of your console, those that have commented might be able to throw some ideas out.

If you can figure out how to secure them (angle iron is probably the easiest way) you can cut a piece of 1/8" ABS to cover the brackets. Basically, cut two rectangles for the scanner heads and then make it the size of the opening. I purchased ABS on EBAY before.

Can't wait to see what you come up with!

CoolCat

Premium Subscriber
Do you have enough depth in your console for the scanners and the wiring behind them? The escape is a much smaller vehicle than an F150, and i would imagine the console is much smaller as well. If you cannot fit the scanners (depth-wise) with enough headspace to close the console lid, what is your plan from there? Are you willing to remove the lid, or drive with the lid open?

If you were to purchase faceplates, I don't see how you could "mount" them without first making some sort of base plate to attach them to. It doesnt seem worth it to me to spend the money on commercially made faceplates if you have to cut out your own base plate anyways. You can buy thin sheets of black ABS plastic that can easily be cut with a utility knife (use a metal straight edge such as a ruler to guide the cut). This is a cheap and easy solution that you can do on your kitchen table. You probably don't have a store near you that sells these but you can buy them pretty cheap online (eBay, etc.).

jonesyxvii

Premium Subscriber
I didn't re-read the thread but those are Havis or Jotto type faceplates. They usually run around ~$40 each. Not sure if you could make them working by rotating 90 degrees.

If you're able to get pics of your console, those that have commented might be able to throw some ideas out.

If you can figure out how to secure them (angle iron is probably the easiest way) you can cut a piece of 1/8" ABS to cover the brackets. Basically, cut two rectangles for the scanner heads and then make it the size of the opening. I purchased ABS on EBAY before.

Can't wait to see what you come up with!

These aren't from my vehicle, but this is what the console looks like: http://2-photos.ebizautos.com/new-2012-ford-escape-4wd4drxlt-6035-7717480-10-640.jpg and http://autocar-zone.com/images/2011/07/2012-Ford-Escape-XLS-FWD-Center-Console-Image-280x280.jpg

In that second pic, the plastic moulded inserts (there are two) can be fully removed and positioned elsewhere in the vehicle. The result is a cavity measuring (roughly) 11.5" deep, 7.25" wide and 9" long. There is a small recess at the front that extends down under the cupholders and it's about 6" deep and 6" long (same 7.25" width).

CoolCat said:
Do you have enough depth in your console for the scanners and the wiring behind them? The escape is a much smaller vehicle than an F150, and i would imagine the console is much smaller as well. If you cannot fit the scanners (depth-wise) with enough headspace to close the console lid, what is your plan from there? Are you willing to remove the lid, or drive with the lid open?

If you were to purchase faceplates, I don't see how you could "mount" them without first making some sort of base plate to attach them to. It doesnt seem worth it to me to spend the money on commercially made faceplates if you have to cut out your own base plate anyways. You can buy thin sheets of black ABS plastic that can easily be cut with a utility knife (use a metal straight edge such as a ruler to guide the cut). This is a cheap and easy solution that you can do on your kitchen table. You probably don't have a store near you that sells these but you can buy them pretty cheap online (eBay, etc.).

There is definitely enough room for the scanners and the wiring behind them. I've tested that much. If I leave the outer sleeve on the scanners then a base plate won't be necessary. I'm thinking I can use the holes and bolts for the mounting bracket that came with the radio to secure them to a home-made wooden or metal frame.

Alternatively Troy makes a bench-seat console Bench Seat - Consoles (the CC-C05) that looks like it would actually slide into my centre console hideaway quite nicely. I'd mount it upright, not on an angle as shown, and secure it to the inside of the console. That would then give me plenty of room to run the wires out of the bottom.

There are just waaaaaay too many options at the moment and I need to sort through them, weigh pros and cons, and make a decision. One thing is for sure, though, you guys are an amazing font of ideas and I thank you for all your feedback and suggestions.

Rob

CoolCat

Premium Subscriber
That Troy console is nice and looks like a perfect fit for your console opening, unfortunetly it is also very expensive ($225-$250).

jonesyxvii

Premium Subscriber
I've started my installation. Found an unusual mounting option in the form of an orange crate from the grocery store. Yes, an orange crate. Well, tangerines, actually. I happen to notice the span on the long side between corners was very close to the width of the scanners when the outer sleeves were removed. A quick test fit also showed it would fit nicely inside the centre console of my Ford Escape. So now I've decided to go whole hog and hardwire it all in. I'm going to create a new post in the Radio Equipment Installation Forum - The RadioReference.com Forums when I'm done with all the steps I did, but for now here are two teaser pics of the orange crate...

Rob

Attachments

• 001_test fit in orange crate_small.jpg
    001_test fit in orange crate_small.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 1,802
  • 002_Finished orange crate_small.jpg
    002_Finished orange crate_small.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 1,706
Status
Not open for further replies.