Douglas County P25

Status
Not open for further replies.

box23

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (webOS/1.4.5.1; U; en-US) AppleWebKit/532.2 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/1.0 Safari/532.2 Pixi/1.1)

Douglas County now has dual mode capabilty on the DGLAW system and some deputies are using digital occasionally.

I will try to get and post NAC's as I can.

box23

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (webOS/1.4.5.1; U; en-US) AppleWebKit/532.2 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/1.0 Safari/532.2 Pixi/1.1)

NAC 160 on Gordon and Maple. I'm assuming they are all the same as with the analog tones.

I've been hearing one console on digital somewhat and the other on analog.

I also heard the EM and radio service on WISCOM mentioning some problems but from my end it sounds very good.

N9NRA

Premium Subscriber
I was up there for Christmas, and i also heard mixed analog and digital, i was kinda pleased to hear them going to P25, as IMHO i find digital to be a more pleasing mode to listen to :). Anyway, it`s about time, now mabey the Gordon site won`t sound like a messed-up UHF repeater anymore :D. N9NRA

northscan23

I just hope if Douglas County/Superior decides to encrypt their radio traffic in the future that they would not encrypt completely.

N9NRA

Premium Subscriber
I just hope if Douglas County/Superior decides to encrypt their radio traffic in the future that they would not encrypt completely.

Agreed there, however, even if they do, it probably won`t happen for a while, they still gotta work the bugs out of this thingy yet. Digital does take some gettin` used to, i know from when i started using DSTAR (ham radio digital), as there`s no squelch taill on the repeaters, and the sound is different than on analog (digital sometimes will sound quieter than analog). Still, i found listening to the digital stuff to be a refershing change form their analog...and i have the sneaky feeling some deputies find it a refreshing change too :). N9NRA

box23

Superior and Patzau also transmit NAC160. I suspect Chaffey does too, but not confirmed.

N9NRA

Premium Subscriber
Just curious, but anyone here happen to know if SPD did the switch to digital yet? If i were a bettin` man i`d be all in on them doing it, and soon too. N9NRA

sfd119

Just curious, but anyone here happen to know if SPD did the switch to digital yet? If i were a bettin` man i`d be all in on them doing it, and soon too. N9NRA

I wouldn't bet on that. Digital costs $$$ and while counties have money, not all cities have that money. A new digital repeater is a little pricy. When Barron County went digital, Rice Lake PD stayed analog because they were happy with their system and coverage. Same with Spooner PD in Washburn County.

Now do they have digital capable radios? I'm sure of it...but some people are just happy with analog.

If it ain't broke....

N9NRA

Premium Subscriber
I wouldn't bet on that. Digital costs $$$ and while counties have money, not all cities have that money. A new digital repeater is a little pricy. When Barron County went digital, Rice Lake PD stayed analog because they were happy with their system and coverage. Same with Spooner PD in Washburn County.

Now do they have digital capable radios? I'm sure of it...but some people are just happy with analog.

If it ain't broke....

Totally agree here :D. if it ain`t broke, don`t fix it. Besides, i kinda like the sound of the SPD system, while i prefer digital most of the time, i do think Superior got it right with their analog setup, and frankly they should just stay with what they got, they`re sittin` pretty IMHO. Now narrowband, that`s another horse i won`t even GET into, but it`s nice to see that we hams up there aren`t the only ones still doin` analog :). 73. N9NRA

box23

I believe he might be referring to migrating to WISCOM, looking at the date of his post. The issue was up to the County Board at their 12Apr12 meeting. They approved moving to the system as daily users.

Status
Not open for further replies.