Douglas county radio system upgrades

Baker845

Looks like Douglas county is starting to upgrade there radio system. Looks like there doing it in 3 phases. Phase 3 which they don't have funds yet will be digital and encrypted...

Here is the link that talks about it.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
I wonder why they can't just join the Oregon State Radio Project (system). Yeah they'd need new radios and tower work, but it would be better than starting from scratch and could be implemented more quickly and less expensively. It is a huge county to cover and their present VHF channel is challenged for sure.

Baker845

The Oregon State Radio Project system wasn't built that far south in Roseburg area. Vhf system worked well when they upgraded there system in 2006. It still works well, just needs upgrade again. Its just they never added the sites needed to have better portable coverage and repeater channels. Cost is big deal when you don't have the funds and you got reach out for grant money. Staying with current Vhf system, upgrading and adding few new repeater sites and new repeated channels will save them money.

oregontreehugger

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for sharing the article -- yep, grant money is going to be the key. It'll be interesting to see if they try to incorporate the old MPT-1327 system (or at least the UHF freqs. & sites) down the road.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
The Oregon State Radio Project system wasn't built that far south in Roseburg area. Vhf system worked well when they upgraded there system in 2006. It still works well, just needs upgrade again. Its just they never added the sites needed to have better portable coverage and repeater channels. Cost is big deal when you don't have the funds and you got reach out for grant money. Staying with current Vhf system, upgrading and adding few new repeater sites and new repeated channels will save them money.
Interesting that SRP is in Lake and Klamath counties, but I see not that far south on the I5 corridor. If they're going to build P25 across the county anyway, seems like a reasonable thing to add on the SRP. Of course, we're talking about the government at work here. It's not their money.

oregontreehugger

Premium Subscriber
Interesting that SRP is in Lake and Klamath counties, but I see not that far south on the I5 corridor.

I think the topography is working against them with SW Oregon. Lots of competing mountains, valleys, ridges, forests, vegetation, etc. on the west side of the Cascades. And I believe I read that they wanted the SRP to essentially be designed like a "horseshoe" -- hitting the larger population centers between Portland and Eugene, and then over to Bend. (Plus, there was a cost savings to that approach.)

Fun bit of trivia -- when they tested enhanced cellular 9-1-1 service with GPS location years ago, they supposedly did it in this same SW corner of the state to really push the limits of the testing.

Baker845

I'm seeing encryption being used a lot in info they release about system upgrade. That something that could be happening in Douglas county.