Douglas & Elbert County Law Enforcement to Encrypt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spitfire8520

I might be completely clueless! =)

Douglas County will be flipping the switch this December and there is a rumor that Castle Rock will be flipping the switch alongside them. Parker has plans for early 2020 and wherever Parker goes, Lone Tree is sure to follow.

Insulator

And the hits just keep coming. I wonder just all at once that everyone is jumping on the E bandwagon someone must be driving this.

ScannerSK

I'm glad for the agencies across the country that have reversed their E decision at a later date. So, it's not hopeless. It all depends on who is running the show.

abqscan

DataBase Administrator
Do journalist even listen to what they are told, or, do they just copy paste.

The shooting death of Deputy Zackari Parrish is an example, she said. Parrish was killed in 2017 during an incident that drew a heavy, multi-agency police response to Highlands Ranch after a gunman opened fire on multiple deputies.

Parrish was injured in the onset of the shooting and left unresponsive, unable to evacuate the gunman's apartment. He remained trapped inside for roughly 90 minutes.

That left the gunman with Parrish's radio, feeding him information. First responders switched to a different channel than the one Parrish's was tuned to. In March, Deputy Corey Chance described to Colorado Community Media attempting to change channels as bullets from the gunman whizzed by him, calling it a distraction in a life-threatening situation.

Encryption would not solve this problem. Deputy's own radio was what the shooter could listen to. WTF!

Last edited:

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Encryption would not solve this problem. Deputy's own radio was what the shooter could listen to. WTF!

There are several ways this could have been done if it was digital, trunked or had MDC1200 features activated.

If it was digital, stun/kill commands could be sent to the radio.
Trunked, the radio can be inhibited.
MDC-1200 can handle stun/kill commands.
Encryption keys can be OTAR'd or the radio could be zeroized remotely.

The choice to move to encryption needs to include proper system set up, radio accountability, and dispatcher training.

04Z1V6

This is another thing that this Sheriff said he would not do. He needs to be recalled. If reporters would report the news instead of the left and right political crap that they call news that might help. No, this in no way will help anything it just punishes people for what some nut did with a firearm. This Sheriff will not uphold the constitution of this State or this Country. Your radio is one of the things you should be well trained to use and they were not. I don’t know how many times I hear that one department is unable to talk to the other and this will not make things any better. Officer safety my rear. I don’t know how many times I had volunteers with the departments in Douglas County tell me thanks for keeping my feed up during the DCSO events that we attended that we were invited to. I will not give my support to these departments unless things change at the top. I come from a EMS background and have many family members in LE and the Law field and none have ever had a problem with people using scanners or scanner apps.

David628

Premium Subscriber
Maybe we need to push or look at the overarching big E issue in a very different way. Why can’t we come to a compromise on what they need for officer safety AND the public’s right to know? If their minds are already set on it, they will encrypt anyways. But how about meeting our needs as well as the media’s needs half way and encrypting just the mobiles? Leave just the dispatch in the clear and all mobiles to and from each other and to their dispatch are encrypted. To me, It’s a win win since they will encrypt anyways and if they do we lose everything. Why not try to maintain at least some monitor ability? True transparency would be meeting in the middle which gives us at least the calls going out to be in the know. I truly think a level headed elected sheriff might very well consider this option as a true transparency compromise.

I know it sucks overall, but we’re losing the big E battle and really need to circle our wagons to start somewhere as a hobbyist/media community to get Something from this to maintain our ability to be in the know. I’d rather hear something then nothing. Thoughts?

Spitfire8520

Having heard the folks making the decisions discuss this topic, it is their belief is that the public has zero rights or reason to monitor their radio traffic. They are only interested in engaging the media on this issue, anyone else is just a wacker or "wannabe" in their own words.

David628

Premium Subscriber
Having heard the folks making the decisions discuss this topic, it is their belief is that the public has zero rights or reason to monitor their radio traffic. They are only interested in engaging the media on this issue, anyone else is just a wacker or "wannabe" in their own words.

That’s very discouraging. BTW I had to look up the slag word for wacker on google (urban dictionary). When I seen photos pop up of civilians with cars looking like unmarked police cars on google I had to laugh. Never knew those folks are called wakers that’s funny. Anyways I guess we’re taking another hit. Oh well, let’s enjoy it while we still can!

Last edited:

ScannerSK

I guess once everyone in the media and the public begins showing up at major events to try to figure out what's going on they will see they have worsted their own cause.

04Z1V6

We give our money and our time we donate to many funds and will continue doing this but we will be much more selective to what we do and donate for. We are completely pro LE. He is directly attacking the freedom of the press and the freedom to due process of the law in this State and this County. This is the last thing I will say about that on this board. This is a radio board and I will respond to things about my radios. Sorry for the rant above I have been a listener and a hobbyist for a very long time. I will keep this feed running until it is silenced by politicians with overreaching solutions.

Spitfire8520

That’s very discouraging. BTW I had to look up the slag word for wacker on google (urban dictionary). When I seen photos pop up of civilians with cars looking like unmarked police cars on google I had to laugh. Never knew those folks are called wakers that’s funny. Anyways I guess we’re taking another hit. Oh well, let’s enjoy it while we still can!
To clarify my response, I have not spoken to or heard any of Douglas or Elbert County position on the issue directly. My previous response was just the general majority opinion held by radio system managers and leaders (Chiefs, Sheriffs, etc.) throughout the state while they were discussing the topic of encryption earlier this year.

Absolutely feel free to engage agency leadership or your commissioner/councilmember/representative if you feel that you can get somewhere with them. Just remember that you will be fighting the uphill battle against "officer safety."

ShyFlyer

Premium Subscriber
Encryption would not solve this problem.
Indeed. In fact, most of the cases, incidents, or hypothetical situations wouldn't be solved by encryption. Most of the "E Club" joins because it's an easy sell.

If their minds are already set on it, they will encrypt anyways.
Once "Officer Safety" is mentioned, a lot of minds, especially of those with jobs on the line (i.e. elected officials) slam shut. No matter how well reasoned the argument against "E," it is nearly a totally lost cause. I'm all for Officer Safety, but "E" (for the main dispatch channels) is just fancy window dressing.

Speaking of the "E Club," look for Arapahoe to join towards the end of the year. They were likely influenced by DougCo's decision. Speculation, but Adams County will probably follow suit as well at some point.

Fear not, though. There are still some interesting things to be heard on the mutual aid channels. No, I'm not being sarcastic either. I'm surprised at the amount of "sensitive" operations being conducted on those channels.

nbdyspclk

There are several ways this could have been done if it was digital, trunked or had MDC1200 features activated.

If it was digital, stun/kill commands could be sent to the radio.
Trunked, the radio can be inhibited.
MDC-1200 can handle stun/kill commands.
Encryption keys can be OTAR'd or the radio could be zeroized remotely.

The choice to move to encryption needs to include proper system set up, radio accountability, and dispatcher training.
Catch 22,you have suspect cq's shooting,deputy goes down officers scramble,unknown if officer dead,injured,he not going to answer radio while feet from suspect,you cant disable radio until known od,yes suspects can hear,but so can officer,maybe radio out of reach,,encryption is a choice,not a "necessary "tool for "safety",useless in this case,switching channels 50/50 officer will follow suite.

radio

Premium Subscriber
Vote every elected official out of office that makes any decision to go totally encrypted.

Give them 1 or 2 Tac encrypted channels for Vice, Narcotics, SWAT activities.

Most units have MDTs and cell phones and they keep sensitive info off the air anyway.

Wonder what would happen since Elbert Co SO is dispatched by Douglas and Elbert Sheriff is opposed to going encrypted?

Hello joining the El Paso-Teller 911!

Last edited:

ShyFlyer

Premium Subscriber
Wonder what would happen since Elbert Co SO is dispatched by Douglas and Elbert Sheriff is opposed to going encrypted?
I think it's safe to assume that Elbert will just go along with Douglas in regards to "E".

David628

Premium Subscriber

4436time

In Gov't We Trust
Premium Subscriber
Castle Rock PD1 and Parker PD1 appear to be encrypted this morning.

Status
Not open for further replies.