Dover Township PD: ENC on CH1

Status
Not open for further replies.

KC2GVX

Premium Subscriber
Listening this afternoon I heard all the calls going out on channel 1 encrypted. I know channel 2 has been encrypted since the new system went in place, but channel 1 was supposed to be left in the clear. Anyone know if this is permanent, or just something big going down today? If this is permanent, we need to contact Chief Mastronardy and ask him to please let us listen to ch 1 again.

elias1988

Feed Provider
Channel 1 encryption started yesterday,i talked to someone at Dover PD a few weeks ago and i was told all 4 channels will be full time encryption soon.

DJ88

Get used to it folks. The cops just don't want us listening to them, plain and simple. However, the next time they have a crime that has them baffled, they'll be crying for the public's help. All of a sudden we'll be their best friends. Sounds like they want to have their cake and eat it too. But I guess the cops can get away with it. They get away with everything else. I really feel bad for the folks who live in town who have spent the big bucks on digital scanners and want to know what's going on around them.

mondaro

Feed Provider
Let me this prediction, a P25 will some day and be directly responsible for a Public Saftey employees death.

As for Dover Twp last I heard the Township First Aid and Fire channels are both analog and in the clear. Also MONOC last I heard still sends paramedics to Dover Twp so there are other resources to get your data.

I also work for a BLS agency who does Mutual Aid for a town who refuses to let any EMS agency use there P25 sytem. We advised them that if we have no radio communication with there Police Department we will refuse to respond to there town as a matter of crew safety.

GM

Premium Subscriber
Dover NJ PD ENC

Looks like we have another town that doesn't want to have an extra set of eyes & ears at no cost to the taxpayers (& citizens)! It's the old "Haha, you can't hear us anymore" attitude! (Yes, I got this quote from Edison PD once). If this is going to be the case, I will simply re-organize my BC296D & take out all full-time ENC channels, since they are wasting space in my scan cycle. Now, when I go through the town, I will simply "take in the scenery" & not worry about being an extra watch-dog anymore!

GM

Premium Subscriber
Dover NJ PD ENC

Deleted double post.

DJ88

I just turned on Dover PD 1 and lo and behold, the road units are in the clear but DISPATCH is encrypted. Go figure. It's usually the other way around.

crazyboy

Strange they did this a few weeks ago. Maybe they are testing for future use?

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Hi GM and all,

"Now, when I go through the town, I will simply "take in the scenery" & not worry about being an extra watch-dog anymore!"

OK, do you REALLY want to go to South TR and take in the "scenery"? (;->)

Joseph11

STR PD is dispatched by county on the Ocean County TRS. Completly analog. :-\

KC2GVX

Premium Subscriber
Dispatch is back in full encryption. I would suggest calling the chief's office and trying to talk to him. Back when the new system was going live, he told the paper he would leave dispatch in the clear. Now is the time to call and make our stance known. Be professional, and let them know we respect the privacy and understand their need for sensitive communications. That is why other channels are okay to be encrypted, but at least let people listen on channel 1. Explain how scanner listeners can help, and go into all that. Just be professional and polite, and maybe the chief will change his mind

Chief's Mastronardy's Office, Secretary Pat Sommeling
(732) 349 - 0150 ext. 7207

Bentley

Just a thought:

It is VERY rare that I will go to a "call" to see the action, one exception is in the case of plane that made an emergency landing on route 37 last month. Upon my arrival I saw quite a few people with scanners in their hands and on their hips. Perhaps it would be smart to leave the scanner in the car. If you absolutely have to monitor what is happening then stay in your car. I say this because the chief of police was on scene and he definitley noticed all of the scanners in the crowd.

It is not morally wrong to carry your scanner with you, BUT when the chief, capitan, or Lt's see scanners, it may possibly set off a lightbulb in their heads saying, "lets go to full encryption". Not so much in the case of a plane crash or any incident like that, but if they see you at the scene of something where information is of a sensitive nature, or is to be kept private (homicides, suicides, shootings, etc.)

I'm sure I will get replies saying, its our right to listen and all that, which I totally agree with. But think of the concequences, if scanners are spotted in the hands of the crowd during major incidents it definitley rubs the police the wrong way, especially brass.

I think the no. 1 rule in scanning is dont get in the way of police, fire, ems, etc.
The no. 2 rule in scanning should be dont get in the way... while holding a scanner.

Getting in the way can and very often does include on-lookers, as the police now also have to worry about their safety. Try and keep as much distance as you possibly can from the scene if you absolutely have to go and see.

GM

Premium Subscriber
My view on ENC

"Getting in the way can and very often does include on-lookers, as the police now also have to worry about their safety. Try and keep as much distance as you possibly can from the scene if you absolutely have to go and see." - Bentley

This is the EXACT reason why I like the radio spectrum in open mode. If I see or hear of something, I keep my distance away from it. If I choose to observe, I stay well out of the way & let the people who belong there do their job(s). I offer my help if I can be of assistance, as I have done several times in the past. I just believe that if all police waves go encrypted (ENC) or in a format that is not monitorable, then I will not be able to offer as much assistance as I would like to. However, I do not appreciate it when a dept. has the "Were Above You" attitude, as I have encountered with a local police dept. in my area.

I am what you call the "Community Crime Watch" for my area, while not actually belonging to any Police Auxiliary or Crime Watch program. This is my way of volunteering my time & "giving back to my community," while at the same time, providing an extra set of eyes & ears for the Police. As McGruff says: "Take A Bite Out of Crime!"

mondaro

Feed Provider
My take as a career EMS Chief

First of all if the Dover township Police have nothing else better to do but to count the scanners in the crowd when there on scene they need to get a life and start working on real Police work. I would love to see the percentage in the state of New Jersey uniform Police record in percent on how many crimes where committed with a use of a police radio scanner. I would bet the figure would be low.

Yes I am an admitted radio head and carry many radios to communicate with my M/A towns that serve while riding EMS. One of the town where I provide M/A to has gone encrypted so it is now nearly impossible for me to get an early warning on an EMS job or communications with there Police Department unless I hop on Spen which is not a fan of.

As I said in the past these P25 radio systems will get an officer killed one day it's only a matter of time. I am sure will are all well aware of the nightmare the NYFD had with there digital radios.

By the way if you want to follow Dover Township on the big jobs listen to the Fire, First Aid Squad and MONOC frequencies I am sure there is plenty of action there to monitor Toms River that is in the clear.

Tony M.
Harrison, NJ

A little P.S.

I been on the job for 24 years and I don't remember anyone getting in the way of my job while someone was holding a scanner, these guys and gals are the first ones to help you out on a scene.

Moose

The future is here

In the not too distant future, I think our scanning hobby will have devolved
to the point where listening in to Target employees becomes the norm. Already I
have heard many times the following .....Dispatcher: "Car 5, check your screen"
Car 5: "Copy".

Well, That's all folks!

mikeh

many pds are going encrypted.

this same thing is going in many areas across the county
and in most places the FD are staying in the clear . get ready
it well be happen in many areas

ctrabs74

Moose said:
In the not too distant future, I think our scanning hobby will have devolved
to the point where listening in to Target employees becomes the norm. Already I
have heard many times the following .....Dispatcher: "Car 5, check your screen"
Car 5: "Copy".

In Chester County, Pa. they've pretty much gone that route on low priority calls (ie. "Check your MDT for a phone assignment/animal complaint/report/SPDI (Special Police Department Information)/other nuisance call), and on roughly half the traffic stops (most of the time, all I hear in that regards are "Unit such and such, I copy your stop" although there are still one or two dispatchers who will add the location where the stop is taking place (probably as a vocal back-up to the message sent to/from MDTs). However, most of the real high-priority calls (domestics, shootings, assaults, etc) are still dispatched over the air. And, of course, they have that irritating LTR Multi-Net system that's a pain to listen to in conventional mode...

Status
Not open for further replies.