Download Depreciated Systems?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RRR

Premium Subscriber
I am using Butel for my BCD996XT, and it connects fine and downloads from the database just fine too. But there are some "Depreciated" systems that I know are still talking that I want to DL. Ho can I do this? I can locate the depreciated systems on here just fine, but I can not locate them thru software to DL into my scanner.

Thank you in advance

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
Which deprecated systems?

If they're still in use than they should not be deprecated.

RRR

Premium Subscriber
Systems get depreciated sometimes before they are fully non-operational.

I was wanting to put the old Albany, Ga. system in my scanner via Butel.

So is there a way to DL depreciated systems via butel download on RR or not?

Thank you.

mikewazowski

Staff member
Forums Manager
Not that I know of but the bigger question is why was it Deprecated if it's still on the air?

If this is truly the case, send in a submission asking for it to be put back to Normal status. I'm sure there would be other members who would benefit as well.

RRR

Premium Subscriber
I do not have any idea why people do the things they do. Apparently someone said it was completely off the air, so it was deleted by someone. Same thing happened recently with the "old" Macon-Bibb co system, it was still in use (and still is) yet it was "depreciated" and unable to be DL until it was un-depreciated.

Back to my original question, thank you, I understand it can't be done via software.

Now I ask, could there please be a plan to possibly include depreciated systems in the download area so those of us who would like to download them, are able to?

mikewazowski

Staff member
Forums Manager
Now I ask, could there please be a plan to possibly include depreciated systems in the download area so those of us who would like to download them, are able to?

We'll have to wait for the Database Manager to weigh in although I suspect the answer will be no as it would cause too much confusion for people. I can imagine we'll start seeing threads asking why Deprecated systems are showing up for download as it's too confusing for them.

However, once again, if the system is still active, why don't you submit a request using the Database Submission form to have it reinstated? That way others will benefit and the system will show up a lot sooner then waiting for somebody to make the changes to show Deprecated systems.

With your submission, you can also point out which talkgroups are still active and the ones that did transition to a new system can be marked as Deprecated.

BTW, the old Macon-Bibb system was not still active. In fact, it's still set to Deprecated. It was replaced by a new P25 system which uses the old system's frequencies. There was a lot of confusion over this and it wasn't until a member provided some Pro96Com log files which showed the P25 system had replaced the old system.

RRR

Premium Subscriber
The "old" Bibb county system actually IS still in use, the Sheriff's office is still on it.

The only dept. currently on the "new" system, which uses *some* of the "old" frequencies, is the Fire Dept.

And if some people would get confused because they were able to click on a "depreciated" tab to download, and found a system there to actually be (gasp!) Depreciated, then that's another issue altogether. I guess those of us who would understand that should get used to being kept dumbed down.

I'm done. Thank you for taking the time to respond to me.

mikewazowski

Staff member
Forums Manager

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
The Louisville/Jefferson County Kentucky VHF and UHF systems are all shown as having deprecated channels. There are three frequencies that are still active and probably should not be marked as "deprecated". I presume a submission is the best way of handling this.

Two of the three frequencies are patched to talkgroups on the new radio system. So I suppose the argument can be made that they could remain "deprecated" because they can be heard on the new system. However from time to time the patch gets disrupted and may go unnoticed for a period of time. For that reason, I leave these frequencies programmed in my scanner.

So what's the official RR position on this situation?

One13Truck

Feed Provider
It's things like this that make me happy that I use the software only to create emergency backup files and still do all of my actual programming by hand. As long as it's still listed on the page if you use your hands and fingers to program it it'll still go in despite what any software does or doesn't allow!

mikewazowski

Staff member
Forums Manager
The Louisville/Jefferson County Kentucky VHF and UHF systems are all shown as having deprecated channels. There are three frequencies that are still active and probably should not be marked as "deprecated". I presume a submission is the best way of handling this.

Yes. Things can be easily resolved with a Submission stating that the channels are still in use with a description of who's using them.

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin

We'll have to wait for the Database Manager to weigh in although I suspect the answer will be no as it would cause too much confusion for people. I can imagine we'll start seeing threads asking why Deprecated systems are showing up for download as it's too confusing for them.

That's a change we won't be making. The purpose of deprecating (not depreciating) a system is to indicate that it is no longer in use, without physically deleting it from the database. . . just in case it turns out that someone is still using the system awhile longer. It will eventually be deleted from the database, though.

However, deprecated systems / talkgroups / frequencies are not and will not be available for download, as 99% of the items marked deprecated truly are no longer in use. The information is still available in the database for people to manually enter in their scanners if they wish to play with it.

However, once again, if the system is still active, why don't you submit a request using the Database Submission form to have it reinstated? That way others will benefit and the system will show up a lot sooner then waiting for somebody to make the changes to show Deprecated systems.

With your submission, you can also point out which talkgroups are still active and the ones that did transition to a new system can be marked as Deprecated.

I'll second the above. If the system truly is still in operation, please use the "submit" tab to point out which talkgroups are still active. This way we'll be able to mark only the appropriate talkgroups as deprecated, keeping the database as accurate as possible, as well as retain a record of your submission for reference purposes.

RRR

Premium Subscriber
Duhhh.... Thank you for protecting us from ourselves. We just wouldn't know what to do if y'all let us download clearly marked depreciated systems if we wanted to.....

SCPD

QRT
Duhhh.... Thank you for protecting us from ourselves. We just wouldn't know what to do if y'all let us download clearly marked depreciated systems if we wanted to.....

So is this where the pouting starts when admins and database managers don't see things your way? As has been stated, you can manually enter deprecated information into your programming software or scanner... no protecting you from anything there.

I will agree that RR tends to protect its users from "confusion" -- specifically, I have noticed this tendency with regard to feed delays.

But you were given a response by two admins. Don't pout... its so unbecoming.

By the way:

depreciate: diminish in value over a period of time.

deprecate: status applied to a computer software feature, characteristic, or practice indicating it should be avoided, typically because it is being superseded.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 7_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/537.51.2 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.0 Mobile/11D167 Safari/9537.53)

Seems like the answer is to download a csv file then import the csv file into the programming software.

mikewazowski

Staff member
Forums Manager
I think some scanner programming software has the ability to import frequency/talkgroup information directly from a webpage. Since the systems are still listed, it would seem pretty simple to cut and paste if you really wanted those systems.

Status
Not open for further replies.