Downloading from Broadcastify Calls platform

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tim

Feed Provider
Greetings..

Let's say there is a house fire in XYZ City between the hours of 3pm - 6pm. Is there any way to download a chunk of time from a talkgroup/feed or do I have to download each radio transmission? If not at the moment, will there possibly be a way in the future?

Tim

blantonl

Founder and CEO
Staff member
Super Moderator
Also, given the way the our solution is architected to literally support billions of calls... doing what you are asking will most likely require a "job" based approach, where you will submit a request for a download of a specific timeframe gathered together as one MP3 file, and then the system will have to go out and gather all those files, stitch them together, and then provide the download when it is completed.

It's a hard problem to solve at scale that we will have to really think hard about how we approach doing it. We'll also probably have to put limits in place on it's use (even for premium subscribers) as we always have people approaching us with use cases like "how can I download the past 300 days of xxx feed right now without having to click on each file etc" - and I'm usually like WTF? :)

Tim

Feed Provider
Greetings again...

Thank you for the reply, Lindsay. There are not many businesses where you get an answer straight from the owner. :)

I wasn't necessarily looking for a way to condense the radio traffic to one file (Although that is a good idea), but I was looking for a way to do a mass download all calls from between two time points. If that can't be done, I wonder how is that going to work the media since they are using radio traffic more and more from Broadcastify.

Tim

blantonl

Founder and CEO
Staff member
Super Moderator
We’re going to soon be creating legacy Broadcastify feeds from calls here soon... so those feed archives will be available in 30 min blocks

I’m going to come up with a solution - I need to architect it first.

waterbwuk

Feed Provider
We’re going to soon be creating legacy Broadcastify feeds from calls here soon... so those feed archives will be available in 30 min blocks

I’m going to come up with a solution - I need to architect it first.

I know this is pretty hackish and you probably want a better solution, but I've been combining multiple mp3's from calls and it works fine for me so far. On macOS/Linux you can just cat them all into one file: cat *.mp3 >combined.mp3 or on Windows: copy /b *.mp3 combined.mp3

PrivatelyJeff

Has more money than sense
Premium Subscriber
One idea is either generate a .zip file with all the files for a time frame or if you’re looking at a recurring thing (like downloading everything every day) then a RSS feed like podcast use.

Status
Not open for further replies.