Downloading local frequencies directly into scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.

alwjr101

Premium Subscriber
I have been away from scanning for a few years, previously with a BC850XLT, I think. Very special special scanner if anyone is familiar with it. I've recently bought a very inexpensive BVC365CRS for home use. I travel extensively for work and the work is very weather sensitive and I need to be plugged into local emergency and local law enforcement dispatch to monitor weather and other situations. Things have changed a lot since I had the 850. I want a system to take to work sites that are capable of importing the CSV files directly into the scanner memory for the area I'm in. NOAA is great but having broader, more localized up-to-date information can help to keep teams safe in wind energy and being able to evac site ahead of approaching dangerous weather using more tools would help. Local authorities, weather spotters, etc. The problem is that I may only be in a particular area for a day or two to a few weeks and then move to a new site that could be several states away. And of course the frequencies all need to be programmed each time and having hundreds of channels is great, but only if you can clear the memory and start from scratch. Can anyone offer advice on what works and what doesn't? I'll be purchasing a system to have on site soon. And I'll be looking at a much higher end system than what I have at home. n Thank you.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
I have been away from scanning for a few years, previously with a BC850XLT, I think. Very special special scanner if anyone is familiar with it. I've recently bought a very inexpensive BVC365CRS for home use. I travel extensively for work and the work is very weather sensitive and I need to be plugged into local emergency and local law enforcement dispatch to monitor weather and other situations. Things have changed a lot since I had the 850. I want a system to take to work sites that are capable of importing the CSV files directly into the scanner memory for the area I'm in. NOAA is great but having broader, more localized up-to-date information can help to keep teams safe in wind energy and being able to evac site ahead of approaching dangerous weather using more tools would help. Local authorities, weather spotters, etc. The problem is that I may only be in a particular area for a day or two to a few weeks and then move to a new site that could be several states away. And of course the frequencies all need to be programmed each time and having hundreds of channels is great, but only if you can clear the memory and start from scratch. Can anyone offer advice on what works and what doesn't? I'll be purchasing a system to have on site soon. And I'll be looking at a much higher end system than what I have at home. n Thank you.
I'm not aware of a scanner that can import *.csv files directly into the scanner itself. However, there are numerous Uniden scanners, as well as some Whistler/GRE models that can be programmed with software, and some of those software packages can do *.csv imports. Using software would require that you also have a laptop available to load your scanner when you change locations.

That being said, much of what you are looking for is available in one of the database scanners, Uniden or Whistler models that have the RadioReference database stored on a memory card inserted in the scanner. With any of these, you keep the database current (updates are issued weekly from both manufacturers; Whistler updates normally come out Saturdays, and Uniden's are normally out before noon on Mondays). You can program the local frequencies for any of these with a zip code. For the Uniden scanners, you can use a GPS device, which updates your location as you travel, enabling or disabling systems and sites as they come into, and pass out of, range. When using the main database and location, the scanner will only utilize frequencies in that area, so no need to flush the memory after moving to a new location.

The exact model to get, from either Uniden or Whistler, is dependent on the type of areas you are going to. If you are traveling at times to large metropolitan areas, sooner or later you'll likely encounter P25 (digital) Phase II trunked radio systems. And in some areas, those systems are simulcast, which many scanners struggle to receive clearly. Of the current models, Uniden's SDS100 (handheld) and SDS200 (base mobile) are the best at coping with simulcast distortion. The BCD436HP and BCD536HP are also good choices, but not as capable of dealing with simulcast. Note that simulcast problems are very specific both in regards to the system, but also affected by your location when receiving the system. Inmy area, there are several simulcast systems that can be hard to monitor clearly. However, as I am outside of their immediate vicinity, I have no problems with receiving them,

rk911

Rich
Premium Subscriber
unfortunately the world has changed. much of the public safety world has transitioned from analog to digital or digital trunked. and a lot of PS agencies on digital have encrypted their signals. your BC365CRS is an analog radio. your radio will still pickup the NOAA WX stations and of course any public safety agencies that are still on analog.

two options as i see if:

- purchase a scanner capsble of monitoring unencrypted digital, digital trunking and analog traffic. cost new ~$600-$800. if you want to go down this path this forum can provide you with additional information.

- use your smart phone and an app to try to
monitor local public service. problem is not every PS agency is online

and if an agency you want to monitor is encrypted well, you’re just out of luck.

hardsuit

Vrigo Super Cluster, Milky Way Galaxy, Sagatarious
alwjr101 - I would Recommend a Whistler WS 1088/1080 Handheld scanner, as it uses a Memory Card to store Frequencies and it has the Entire USA & Canada Database on the Memory Card, it has FREE Whistler EZ scan Software, and the Whistler can use the Radio Reference Database to Update the Scanner. the WH 1088/1080 can Program (Banks) by County/City and you can Create Profiles for ALL 50 States, and have a Different Database for Each State, and you can Enable or Turn off Banks depending on the Area you are In. Limiting banks makes the Scanner cycle through Channels FASTER. the only Difference between the 1088 and 1080 is the 1088 has a FULL Keypad, but the 1080 has a Simple Keypad buy you can still Program Manually. your Home scanner 365CRS is Analog only and Whistler also makes a Great Home scanner the WS 1098/1095.

alwjr101

Premium Subscriber
Thank you to both of you. The GPS option sounds real easy and the SD card option doesn't sound bad, either. At home almost everything is still analog and I spent quite a bit of time entering 400+ frequencies, most of which I'll never be too concerned with, but I had the channels available. I can hear aircraft lining up for landing, for example. Interesting stuff, for sure, but not the main focus which is emergency weather information and other things that may require action regarding safety out in a more rural setting. Overland flooding, road closures, etc.
As far as cost I do plan to spend quite a bit more for something I can use at a work site and if it helps keep us safe it'll be worth it if there's an easy and reliable way to get local frequencies loaded quickly upon arrival and get right to work.
Thanks again. I appreciate it.

alwjr101

Premium Subscriber
Thank you, hardsuit, I'll check those Whistler models out. I've been doing a little window shopping and I think I may have bookmarked a couple of those along with a couple Uniden models. Now I know which option for frequencies to check out when I'm traveling.

Status
Not open for further replies.