Icom: Downloading USB driver and cloning software for Icom IC-51A

kc5igh

Premium Subscriber
Hello.

I bought a new Windows 11 laptop to replace my aging Toshiba laptop, and I'm getting ready to download and install the USB driver for the OPC-2350LU data cable and the ID-51A cloning software (CS-51 PLUS2 installer).

My old laptop had a CD player built into it, and it was relatively simple to download the programs I needed from the CD that came with the Icom ID-51A.

This time, I'm going to have to figure out how to install the USB data cable driver and cloning software from the internet. So far, I seem to have downloaded and extracted the software contents, but I'm not certain about how to move forward and actually install them in the computer.

Icom's instructions are hard for me to follow, so I'm asking if anyone out there has some advice I need to keep in mind as I undertake this effort.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide!

-Johnnie (KC5IGH)

blackbelter

Most drivers are now available on line thus a CD player is no longer a necessities. There are however external drives available to purchase if needed.

Last edited:

kc5igh

Premium Subscriber
I figured it out!

Unlike my daughter and granddaughter, I'm not a computer whiz, and today's radios are as much about computer skills as they are about rf electronics.

Thanks to anybody out there who even considered trying to help me.

-Johnnie (KC5IGH)

kc5igh

Premium Subscriber
Just copy the CD to a memory stick on your old computer, then use in your new computer!

Frank

That worked, Frank!

I'd already successfully downloaded the programming software for the ID-51 via the Internet, but I still needed to download the "cloning" software for the IC-R30, which was also on a CD that came with the receiver.

When I tried to set up the software, I received a message indicating "Connected receiver is not compatible model. -Check appropriate cloning software for receiver is being used. (and) -The revision number of the receiver." After I downloaded a cloning software update from Icom, everything got connected, and I downloaded the memory from the IC-R30 to the cloning software.

Thanks for your suggestion, Frank. Unlike my daughter and granddaughter, I'm not a computer "power user."

Thanks again!

-Johnnie (KC5IGH)